Just joined this forum but I've been lurking for a while now.
So I'm semi new to playing guitar for the past probably year or so I played bass but I'm getting more interested in guitar so for the past probably 4 or 4 months I've been slowly teaching myself guitar also.

I feel its time I buy an electric guitar cause I've outgrown the acoustic I've been practicing on(this past week I've been messing around on my cousins electric so I wanna pick an elec up now)

Anyways, down to the point, I'm not sure which type of guitar I should go for I kind of wanted somthing vintage because some vintages have a reallllly nice sound, but a lot of the good vintages can get expensive....

I was just surfing around and I found a nice semi hollow Ibanez Artcore AS73 Electric Guitar for a bout 225, I think they retail for about 350 dollars, does anyone think I should pick this up or is there another option I should lean towards?

-Thanks for the info/help! !!
exactly what genre of music? I know you said you liked the vintage sound, but could you give examples of a particular band or artist?
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Yeah, what kind of music do you want to play? That kind of guitar isn't good for gained-out metal, but is for everything else.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well I listen to Bob Dylan, then White Stripes, then The Raconteurs I would say those are my top three that I listen to, I would say... Also for songs that I would play I practice some White Stripes covers, so I guess the music I would play is more of an alternative( I believe that is what stripes are under)...

Let me know if you need any more examples or anything
Quote by guitplayer89
Just joined this forum but I've been lurking for a while now.
So I'm semi new to playing guitar for the past probably year or so I played bass but I'm getting more interested in guitar so for the past probably 4 or 4 months I've been slowly teaching myself guitar also.

I feel its time I buy an electric guitar cause I've outgrown the acoustic I've been practicing on(this past week I've been messing around on my cousins electric so I wanna pick an elec up now)

Anyways, down to the point, I'm not sure which type of guitar I should go for I kind of wanted somthing vintage because some vintages have a reallllly nice sound, but a lot of the good vintages can get expensive....

I was just surfing around and I found a nice semi hollow Ibanez Artcore AS73 Electric Guitar for a bout 225, I think they retail for about 350 dollars, does anyone think I should pick this up or is there another option I should lean towards?

-Thanks for the info/help! !!

Anyone with more thoughts on what I should be looking for/if I should just pick up that guitar?
yeah that ibanez artcore would be a good choice in my opinion, generally ibanez guitars are very reliable in terms of electronics too which is always good. Whats your overall budget, because i'm assuming your also going for an amp?

edit: You said you saw it for $225, now thats a deal!
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Quote by nikhil101
yeah that ibanez artcore would be a good choice in my opinion, generally ibanez guitars are very reliable in terms of electronics too which is always good. Whats your overall budget, because i'm assuming your also going for an amp?

edit: You said you saw it for $225, now thats a deal!

Thanks for the info!
Nah I don't need an amp right now I have a decennnnt one that I use for the bass.
My overall budget is hmmm, I have about a thousand saved up but I don't think I'm ready to drop a thousand on a guitar just yet I wanna play on like a decent one for a while first, I'm guessing that would be like a 300-400 dollar one....

Oh yeah that ibanez is a slightly used one it has a chip or two on the back but other than that it was fine, is it still worth the 225$ ?
Quote by guitplayer89
Thanks for the info!
Nah I don't need an amp right now I have a decennnnt one that I use for the bass.
My overall budget is hmmm, I have about a thousand saved up but I don't think I'm ready to drop a thousand on a guitar just yet I wanna play on like a decent one for a while first, I'm guessing that would be like a 300-400 dollar one....

Oh yeah that ibanez is a slightly used one it has a chip or two on the back but other than that it was fine, is it still worth the 225$ ?

yeah that is a pretty good deal, if nothing other than that is wrong with it then go for it but remember to ask to try it out before you buy if you have not tried it yet. I agree, its wise not too spend too much on just one thing if you can get something that will perform well for less. I don't know too much about bass amps and how guitars sound through them but if you've tried it with a guitar and like the sound than thats good. Otherwise it won't hurt to buy the guitar then try it on the bass amp to see what the sound is like.

however if you want to buy an amp, maybe in the near future i can recommend orange amps such as the orange crush amp series for practice as they have a good tone. However if you don't want to change your amp and use the bass amp, there is an effects pedal i can recommend which is the electro harmonix big muff pi http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-USA-Big-Muff-Pi-DistortionSustainer-Pedal?sku=153314
Jack White uses one and it definetly will be able to get you that fuzz type tone used in songs like blue orchid etc. and it is not that expensive. Although as I've never tried playing a guitar through a bass amp i'm not sure you good the pedal would sound but it sounds good through a regular guitar amp.

EDIT: I'm not sure if i understood you, is the amp you have currently a bass amp which you use a bass through or a guitar amp which you use a bass through?
Quote by thegreensquall
Last edited by nikhil101 at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by nikhil101
yeah that is a pretty good deal, if nothing other than that is wrong with it then go for it but remember to ask to try it out before you buy if you have not tried it yet. I agree, its wise not too spend too much on just one thing if you can get something that will perform well for less. I don't know too much about bass amps and how guitars sound through them but if you've tried it with a guitar and like the sound than thats good. Otherwise it won't hurt to buy the guitar then try it on the bass amp to see what the sound is like.

however if you want to buy an amp, maybe in the near future i can recommend orange amps such as the orange crush amp series for practice as they have a good tone. However if you don't want to change your amp and use the bass amp, there is an effects pedal i can recommend which is the electro harmonix big muff pi http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-USA-Big-Muff-Pi-DistortionSustainer-Pedal?sku=153314
Jack White uses one and it definetly will be able to get you that fuzz type tone used in songs like blue orchid etc. and it is not that expensive. Although as I've never tried playing a guitar through a bass amp i'm not sure you good the pedal would sound but it sounds good through a regular guitar amp.

EDIT: I'm not sure if i understood you, is the amp you have currently a bass amp which you use a bass through or a guitar amp which you use a bass through?

Right now I just have the Bass amp, would it be ok to run an electric guitar through a Bass amp? Because my one friend said that he thought it might ruin the amp or the guitar, but then he said he doesnt know much about this electronic stuff.. that was just kind of a thought he was unsure of..

-again thanks for the help!
It wouldnt ruin the amp or the guitar however you may have some sort of limitation on notes higher up on the guitar fretboard as they won't be as loud as the notes lower down because the bass amp is designed to pick up lower frequencies. However if it was the other way round, if you put a bass through a guitar amp it could ruin the amp because the lower frequencies of the bass could damage the speaker because it is not designed to pick up frequencies that low.

So it should be fine, and apparently, according to this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903899 Jimi Hendrix used a bass amp on a few recordings so it can't be too bad to do the same.
Quote by thegreensquall
Oh cool nice!
Would this be too blues sounding for what I want though? I searched some vids on youtube to see some people playing on it and it was all blues that I could find.. ..
Quote by guitplayer89
Oh cool nice!
Would this be too blues sounding for what I want though? I searched some vids on youtube to see some people playing on it and it was all blues that I could find.. ..

Sorry I don't know exactly which thing you are asking about, what would be too blues sounding?

Edit: if you are talking about the guitar than no because even with my solidbody electrics i can get a good acoustic type sounds. With hollowbody guitars they are even better at doing acoustic because it allows the strings to vibrate more naturally throughout the body like an acoustic guitar, especially if you use the neck pickup of the guitar. And they are also good for blues, as you've seen on youtube. With the right equipment or effects pedal you can definetly do stuff like the white stripes but of course you probably couldnt do metal or something, not that you want to anyway
Quote by thegreensquall
Last edited by nikhil101 at Jul 12, 2008,
meh... if ur talking about the guitar no its not going to be to bluesybut it works well with blues which is y people play blues on it
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Epiphone makes a lot of really good affordable guitars. You should check them out.
Epiphone G-400 Goth (I love it so much!)
Digitech RP 80 Modeling Guitar Processor
Viper Amp (Getting new one soon.)
Jay Turser Strat (Worst guitar ever made.)

"Different strokes for different folks."