Page 1 of 5
I was just wondering what made you think about playing guitar for the first time.

For me it goes like this ;

I was up late one night watching music videos on scuzz, i remember walk this way - Aerosmith & Run DMC being on the television, and i thought to myself ' i wish i could play that riff! ' and i set a goal to play guitar a year and during that time I'd try and learn this riff.

Little did i know i would learn it within a week.

So Pit, how'd you get started?

Will the following please shut the **** up.
no one likes you.

Wizards?
Vinnie5
Last edited by DieGarbageMan at Jul 9, 2008,
because stfu Vinnie5
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
rainbow - long live rock n roll.

my sole reason for picking up a guitar.
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
My friend played guitar so I decided to try and learn bass for a bit of a difference....I hated it, so I traded it in for a guitar and loved it.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
My grandfather is a classical guitarist, so I was interested in that, then I started playing electric, and then I finally graduated to bass =)
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Its the most expressive instrument to me and has so many emotions and feeling's to it. The guitar has evertything, the body can sense.

Smell (yes vintage guitars and new guitars smell sweet, They leave that smell on your fingers:P)
Feeling when playing them
Listening to them and making them sound good
Looking at the is awesome, pieces of art
I saw my brother's guitar sitting in his room and I wanted to try and play it. And now I'm better than him and he doesn't play anymore.
FIJI
my dad plays guitar and when i was younger i was very very competative so i took up guitar just to be better than my dad :$
JP
It got me out of lessons for 10 years...
but I learnt properly because I listened to sweet child o' mine and thought EPIC
So set about learning licks and riffs, steadily progressing to solos
Though I'm still intimidated by learning solos

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Because my mate is a drummer and like 4 of my mates are guitarists so I started bass.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Queen.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I wanted to play drums and my mum was like noooo they are too loud play guitar instead. 8 years later she now comes downstairs almost every day shouting "TURN IT DOWN!!!"
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
So I could win the PGA championship and buy my grandma's house back from Shooter McGavin.

I lol'd hard.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Quote by fortysix&2
My grandfather is a classical guitarist, so I was interested in that, then I started playing electric, and then I finally graduated to bass =)

you dont "graduate" to bass. you get thrown back 4 grades and put in the stupid class.

for me - it was a long boring summer a couples years back and i found a guitar in the attic. i played to fight boredom, and slowly became a rock god.
I saw the DVD Linkin Park - Live In Texas and i thought to myself "that's what i want to do. I want to play music" and my school was starting a free after-school program to teach guitar so i took and I've never regretted it.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by smitty131
you dont "graduate" to bass. you get thrown back 4 grades and put in the stupid class.

for me - it was a long boring summer a couples years back and i found a guitar in the attic. i played to fight boredom, and slowly became a rock god.

Thanks fo rthe typical guitarist answer. I didn't mean that in a way to belittle guitar, I just meant that I primarliy play bass now because I enjoy it more and there's more feeling involved.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
A variety of reasons. I loved watching people play, and love John Frusciante and Slash, they really inspired me to learn how to play. My best friend was starting at the time as well. And I love the sound of a guitar. I mean, I could listen to John Frusciante or any of my other favourite players play for ages.

For me, it's kinda hard to pin down one reason.

EDIT: And as I grew up and discovered girls, I found that girls dig musicians. Although that wasn't a reason for me to start.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Last edited by dgme92 at Jul 9, 2008,
The film "crossroads" with ralph maccio in. I watched it and said to myself "If I still want to play in 2 months i will." then rock school with gene simmons came on and i was ready!!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by smitty131

unless you're les claypool
FIJI
Two words. Iron Maiden. Jeez those guys were cool.
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
Cuz I had ADD and my parents found that when I play guitar i was mostly calm for like 30mins afterwords (4th grade)
Quote by DaliLama
Go to a friend and say "what the difference between soda and your soda?............(pause).............sperm!" Then you start masturbating furiously into their can

My gear
ESP EC1000fr
Marshall 1960a
Peavy 6505
guitar hero II inspired me? i guess that's some rebuttal for the "stop playing a game and pick up a real guitar" sayers.
Page 1 of 5