I have this guitar it's an Ibanez RGR421EXFM.

To begin with this guitar's action was really high. So I took to a local guitar shop and asked the guitar tech to do a set-up on my guitar with 10-13-17-30-42-52 gauge strings. I play in Drop C.
When I got the guitar back it didn't feel different at all. Is that normal?
The only thing I noticed was that the bridge humbucker was lowered a bit.

I know all about intonation, pick-up coordination, and I know how the truss rod works.

Also, what do I need to know about setting up a guitar with those gauge strings (i.e. clearance between strings and neck)?
What increments should I go by when tightening or loosening the truss rod?

Throw in any other information you think I should about setting up a guitar.
your truss rod should be adjusted so when you fret the first fret and the last fret there is a small space between the 12th fret and the string (so the neck is a little bowed).

for the nut: When you fret your 2nd fret (but place your finger after the 2nd fret ((so its like fretting the 3rd fret))) there should be a small space between the string and the first fret.

this will allow you to have nice low action

action: your action should be as low as you can get it before you get fret buzz or fret out when you bend your strings (test the upper frets mainly)

pick up height is more preference the closer your pickup is to your strings the more output you will have and the more gainy it will sound (idk if gainy is the right term) but you get the idea.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab
Problem is your low tuning with .10 strings. Lower the tuning the more the strings flop around. So the higher the action will have to be to compensate. So try heavier strings .11 probably .12.
Quote by keabler
your truss rod should be adjusted so when you fret the first fret and the last fret there is a small space between the 12th fret and the string (so the neck is a little bowed).

for the nut: When you fret your 2nd fret (but place your finger after the 2nd fret ((so its like fretting the 3rd fret))) there should be a small space between the string and the first fret.

this will allow you to have nice low action

action: your action should be as low as you can get it before you get fret buzz or fret out when you bend your strings (test the upper frets mainly)

pick up height is more preference the closer your pickup is to your strings the more output you will have and the more gainy it will sound (idk if gainy is the right term) but you get the idea.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "the nut."
I know what the nut is but what exactly are you telling me to adjust?
oh thats the nut height
it should be right, and if you do have to adjust it it will probably be a biotch
if you have a bone nut (not a metal one) you just file it down or replace it if its to low (which is what you have)

if you have a metal one like a floyderose you either add shims to make it higher or sand where the nut sits to make it lower.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by Tackleberry
Problem is your low tuning with .10 strings. Lower the tuning the more the strings flop around. So the higher the action will have to be to compensate. So try heavier strings .11 probably .12.

yeah and i would try reg tops heavy bottoms strings for drop c
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Quote by keabler

Also, the more it'll kill your sustain (especially with humbuckers). The maget is pulling harder on the strings and that restricts the vibration. Not too bad with single coils, though. Weaker magnet and half as many pole pieces...
Quote by Invader Jim
Also, the more it'll kill your sustain (especially with humbuckers). The maget is pulling harder on the strings and that restricts the vibration. Not too bad with single coils, though. Weaker magnet and half as many pole pieces...

Oh snap! No real problems with my 3 humbucker tele...