What are best books, videos and software to learn on my own. I don't have time to take classes. Also at the end of the day to become really good do you need classed or is learning on your own ok? But please if anyone knows the best combo of books and videos and any kind of pc software that helps that would be great thx.
Yeah, get GP5. For theory, try reading Logz's lesson. I dont have a link though
When all else fails, ask the pit.
I would recommend you not to use software, most of it isn't any good. That's my only advice.

Get some theory books, maybe start with and work your way up through the 3rd Hal Leonard book and once you know enough get the Berklee series. Don't just fly through the book though, make sure you can play it pretty much perfectly and understand what it's trying to teach you before you move on otherwise it won't help that much.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by Whatley2212
Or Powertab if you can't afford Guitar Pro.

There are ways..... >_>

But yeah, powertab works okay too.
GuitarPro 5
Powertabs

It's a good idea to have both. If you can get GP5, powertabs will be almost useless, but you'll sometimes come accross songs without GP tabs, so it's useful to have both.

The reason why GP is much better is the sound. Powertab is more simple to use, and is free.

Edit: Use the metronome with them, or buy one.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Try this sites tabs playing along to AC/DC.You will be amazed how quickly you can pick it up.
Quote by Spike6sic6
GuitarPro 5
Powertabs

It's a good idea to have both. If you can get GP5, powertabs will be almost useless, but you'll sometimes come accross songs without GP tabs, so it's useful to have both.

The reason why GP is much better is the sound. Powertab is more simple to use, and is free.

Edit: Use the metronome with them, or buy one.

You can import powertabs with Guitar Pro 5. And is the program really that hard to use? As long as you understand note durations it's pretty easy to get a hang of.
Reading some theory online.

Use Guitar pro ore similiar program.

Use backtracks when you play.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Wanted to give a thx for the Hal Leonard series amazing stuff. I mean I'm sure lessons with a person are good, but with this book and a scales book and a few videos I will be rockin in no time.
Try typing "free beginner Guitar lessons? in google and bookmark the pages you find use.

Then type in "free online Metronome" in google and bookmark that page.

You should have a pretty good base from there.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
well, i wish you luck man! I'm self taught and yeah, pretty much didn't have any books or software, ended up just learning how to play tabs. There is a certain amount of it that comes down to playing some chords and stuff enough times so that you just remember it, but seriously - the theory of music applied to guitar, which i realise now as i'm learning it, is important and make sure you also understand your instrument, not only how to play it!
Good Luck!
Originally Posted by venom0014
yeaaaaa, i love you zenmaestro in a non gay way

^Of course Venom, everybody does.

Originally Posted by Will_Minus
This guy knows the score.

You see? Someone knows the score.
Last edited by Zenmaestro at Jul 11, 2008,
Your thread title is a paradox? If you ask for help, you aren't learning on your own.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Zenmaestro
well, i wish you luck man! I'm self taught and yeah, pretty much didn't have any books or software, ended up just learning how to play tabs. There is a certain amount of it that comes down to playing some chords and stuff enough times so that you just remember it, but seriously - the theory of guitar is important and make sure you also understand your instrument, not only how to play it!
Good Luck!

Yea the hal leonard stuff goes into the theory but keeps it where you can understand it.
damn i think i should seriously look into that then, i mean i can get so far into it but it just seems to go haywire and it's like studying for an exam when you don't know half the stuff...
Originally Posted by venom0014
yeaaaaa, i love you zenmaestro in a non gay way

^Of course Venom, everybody does.

Originally Posted by Will_Minus
This guy knows the score.

You see? Someone knows the score.
I've been reading these forums for months before I decided to join, and it never ceases to amaze me how many people are looking for the "magic bullet", and for free, no less.

True, everyone learns differently. But, having been involved with guitar for years I can honestly say that most people don't learn efficiently like this. Just think of the hours that are spent surfing and chatting when they could be spent on a structured approach and gaining real progress. And, yeah, most real courses won't start you out by teaching you some MegaDeth song. But they will teach you transferable skills you can use to play whatever you like.

There are lots of good courses out there. Many are expensive. The best I've found for beginners, especially for the money, is www.reallylearnguitar.com.

They have a well thought out course that has about 12 hours of video lessons and it's downloadable. Lots of free stuff, too. It's only $30. Can you afford 5 packs of cigarettes or 8 gallons of gas?

I'm not saying that these forums have no value. They really do, and there is a lot of great info on them. But even after you get an answer you still have to decide if it's the right one. If you're a beginner it's a crap shoot.

If all you want to do is jump in and learn to play 'Smoke on the Water', surf the web. If you really want to learn to play the easiest, fastest way, buy a course, learn the skills and then play what you like.
Jam On!
Quote by Hammer Pull
I've been reading these forums for months before I decided to join, and it never ceases to amaze me how many people are looking for the "magic bullet", and for free, no less.

True, everyone learns differently. But, having been involved with guitar for years I can honestly say that most people don't learn efficiently like this. Just think of the hours that are spent surfing and chatting when they could be spent on a structured approach and gaining real progress. And, yeah, most real courses won't start you out by teaching you some MegaDeth song. But they will teach you transferable skills you can use to play whatever you like.

There are lots of good courses out there. Many are expensive. The best I've found for beginners, especially for the money, is www.reallylearnguitar.com.

They have a well thought out course that has about 12 hours of video lessons and it's downloadable. Lots of free stuff, too. It's only $30. Can you afford 5 packs of cigarettes or 8 gallons of gas?

I'm not saying that these forums have no value. They really do, and there is a lot of great info on them. But even after you get an answer you still have to decide if it's the right one. If you're a beginner it's a crap shoot.

If all you want to do is jump in and learn to play 'Smoke on the Water', surf the web. If you really want to learn to play the easiest, fastest way, buy a course, learn the skills and then play what you like.

I'm not really sure everyone is looking for the silver bullet. I'm going to assume that the OP lives in America, and as everyone knows, our economy is pretty craptacular right now. Not everyone can spend the 30$ for those lessons...for one reason or another. Hell, I personally find reading at my own pace and playing at my own pace to be better...and how much do I pay for that? Nothing. I'm not trying to attack you, but there can be reasons why someone canNOT buy a tutor, books, etc...and have to (or just want to) resort to free material.

"The best things in life are free."
expertvilliage has bunches of videos that are nice
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I don't think you're attacking me, and you make some good points. I, too, said that a lot of the info on these forums is good. But I have to tell you, remembering back to when I started playing over 35 years ago, there were very few people around back then who had the skills players have today. And there were even fewer teachers. The choices were, literally, to rely on stuff other players (essentially peers), showed you.

The result, more often than not, was misinformation, bad technique, and stuff I had to spend years unlearning because it was just plain wrong. The point I was trying to make was that I see the same thing happening on many forums.

Beginners ask a question and get 20 answers. A huge percentage of them are technically wrong and many are couched in speculation such as "I think...."

The poor beginner then has the task of deciding what to believe and whose advice to follow. Which just requires spending even more time on line or with other sources to make the determination. Sometimes this is a good use of time. More often not.

I'ts really not about the cost. I agree that the economy is crap, etc. It's about the sheer number of frustrated learners out there I see that never progress or quit because no one gets them on the shortest path from point A to Point B. Almost everyone gets impatient and wants to learn fast. Using a proven method is the fastest way. The teacher has already overcome and streamlined the barriers the student will encounter. Once the basic skills are learned, moving ahead quickly is much easier and much less frustrating.

That's all I was trying to say. As for your quote, "The best things in life are free." It's not always the case.
Jam On!
http://www.justinguitar.com/

this site will give you the basics

I seriously don't recommend any beginners book, not because they aren't good, but mainly they teach you simple folk songs you won't have fun playing. Use the site, develope your technique, and learn some songs you actually like.
Quote by Hammer Pull
I don't think you're attacking me, and you make some good points. I, too, said that a lot of the info on these forums is good. But I have to tell you, remembering back to when I started playing over 35 years ago, there were very few people around back then who had the skills players have today. And there were even fewer teachers. The choices were, literally, to rely on stuff other players (essentially peers), showed you.

Ah, okay, good, lol. I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot on the boards. Also, thanks. I can't (dis)agree with how it was 35 years ago, but I can definately believe what you said there. I do agree that learning from others can often lead to miscommunication/confusion...happens with a lot of things because everyone learns differently.

I'ts really not about the cost. I agree that the economy is crap, etc. It's about the sheer number of frustrated learners out there I see that never progress or quit because no one gets them on the shortest path from point A to Point B. Almost everyone gets impatient and wants to learn fast. Using a proven method is the fastest way. The teacher has already overcome and streamlined the barriers the student will encounter. Once the basic skills are learned, moving ahead quickly is much easier and much less frustrating.

Actually, I 100% agree with this. Not just with instruments, but with everything else as well, it seems. A lot of people are looking for the bullet train route, when they need to be taking the old coal-powered train.

That's all I was trying to say. As for your quote, "The best things in life are free." It's not always the case.

I admit it's not the best philosophy to follow, lol, but I just felt it stressed what I was saying more.

I do agree with a lot of what you mean, though...and, I apologize for the earlier "rant" of sorts, I guess you can call it.
Raevin,

Hey, no apologies required, and I don't think I deserved to get one from you. I think most of us want the best for new players. I'm opinionated and I know it. I appreciate being able to join in the discussion with you!
Jam On!
Quote by Hammer Pull
Raevin,

Hey, no apologies required, and I don't think I deserved to get one from you. I think most of us want the best for new players. I'm opinionated and I know it. I appreciate being able to join in the discussion with you!

I agree...but, at the same time, even though I want to pass off my (very) limited experiences and thoughts, I don't think I have the right to given I've only been playing for a week, lol.

But, hey, we all start off as fresh meat.