I have about 300$ saved up, and I'm going to buy a new guitar. I need some advice on what to go for though.

At first I was going to buying a new amp (i have a Squier SP 10... not too good, but it works) but I'm getting into recording and have heard that smaller amps are the best (or good at least) for that, and so I thought I should just buy a new guitar instead.

So should i buy only a new guitar, or a cheaper guitar together with an amp slightly better than the SP 10?

And if I only buy a guitar I'm considering getting an Epiphone Les Paul Studio (I have a Fender Stratocaster now, and think I would like a heavier guitar), would it be good for playing metal (which is what i mostly play)?
I think the Les Paul would be better for metal than a stratocaster, but im not sure if $300 will get you one. I don't know their price, but I thought they were more around $400ish but I may be wrong.

What about an Ibanez if you play metal lots? Or you could always customize your Strat like putting in a new pickup or something.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
you can customize your strat. mod it with an HSS configuration then use the humbucker for metal. i think epiphone les pauls go for $500+, unless your going to buy a used one. if your not into modifying your strat, go for an Agile: www.rondomusic.com
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
no, don't get an Epi LP Studio, for the same price, you can get a B-Stock Standard on MusiciansFriend, or GuitarCenter.

Or craiglist for even cheaper. Definately instead of getting something full price, get the next step up used. Trust me.
O O

___
Well here at least, there is a Guitar store that has pretty low prices, and i know that they have the Epiphone LP Studio for 300$.

But thanks for all, I'm going to the store soon to maybe test out a few guitars, that's after all the best way.
Get a new amp, and perhaps put a humbucker in the bridge of your Strat.

What kind of Strat is it? A Mexican?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by KuzunE

And if I only buy a guitar I'm considering getting an Epiphone Les Paul Studio (I have a Fender Stratocaster now, and think I would like a heavier guitar), would it be good for playing metal (which is what i mostly play)?

go for the studio. its a solid choice with a good tone and price. I played my new bandmates studio yesterday for the first time and loved it. its very smooth. as for an amp, a roland cube of some kind is awesome for the price.
Get a better amp first... A Standard fender strat is a really decent guitar. But that amp... It's plain sh!t, I know. I had one, about 3 years ago. Get a roland cube 30x if you want something with effects. Or a small 5w tube amp (Peavey Valveking royal 8, fender champ, epihpone valve jr, ...) with a metal pedal, like a metal muff. That'd cost you about 300, the roland would be cheaper, but not as good.

If you are set on a guitar though, the epiphone LP studio would be a step down from your fender strat really... Get an RG321 or some other ibanez with a fixed bridge, the low end ones have really ****ty trems.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal