Poll: Would you bow to the queen?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you bow to the queen?
Yes.
41 32%
No.
84 66%
Voters: 127.
Page 1 of 3
By a series of unlikely events you come face to face with the queen of England. Assuming that you're not from an Eastern country, would you bow to her?

Wound up somewhere in that is whether you'd give someone extra respect because of a position they've been born into, rather than earned through skill, ability and actions.

Personally I wouldn't bow, because to me she's done nothing that deserves that respect. I'd greet her with as much respect as anyone else I'd never met but not extra, simply because she's been given a title for being born into a particular family.

My view is pretty much summed up by Ludwig van Beethoven, who apparently said this when he refused to play his music for a Prince and was teased about it:

"What you are, you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am by myself. There are and always will be thousands of princes, but there is only one Beethoven. "

Pretty much why I despise people who think they're superior to others based on wealth they've been born into. I've had some pretty rude things said about where I lived and my clothes as a child by smegheads with that outlook on life.
I would bow, considering the sheer amount of things that are in her power to do.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
she has the entire country of britain in the palm of her hand. i think i would. she's done nothing wrong either
I would. Why not? If she used her position solely for personal benefit then I wouldn't, but she and the royal family pretty much dedicate their lives to humanitarian work.
Whether I would bow (or technically curtsey) is a different issue to whether I think that the Royal Family deserve to be given such high status, or even should exist at all. I would probably adhere to current social conventions and make a gesture of respect anyway, so as not to seem tiresome and arrogant, but if asked for my opinion I would be truthful and say that I don't genuinely respect anybody's position if they have gained it simply through an accident of birth.
I wouldn't.

EDIT: I consider her just another person, and I don't bow to strangers on the street so that's why I wouldn't bow to her.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
Last edited by Sabbath89 at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by CTFOD
I would bow, considering the sheer amount of things that are in her power to do.
So nothing. She has no real power. She's just the head of state. All decisions are made by the executive.
Quote by CTFOD

you mean wave and get the british angry at you?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by MRavioli
she has the entire country of britain in the palm of her hand. i think i would. she's done nothing wrong either
I thought the Queen had little to no power in the modern day; I thought she was just ceremonial.

I personally wouldn't bow, but if I were English I might.
Quote by MRavioli

Nothing wrong, like killing her daughter in law?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
What would I lose by not bowing to her?

It's just a matter of respect. She is the law, whether or not if you like her, she is in charge and you have to show that respect.

It's similar to people who meet Pres. Bush. You have to imagine not everyone who has met him agrees with him, yet, they still shake his hand and keep quiet when it comes to opinion, regardless of how they feel about him.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I would. Why not? If she used her position solely for personal benefit then I wouldn't, but she and the royal family pretty much dedicate their lives to humanitarian work.

So do many people, but you'd more than likely shake their hand rather than bow to them. I don't see why the queen should have the extra honour.
No!

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Yeah, cuz it's customary. It's manners, man. It's disrespectful not to.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by InvaderTSN
...Ever?

I dislike the Monarchy.
A lot.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by InvaderTSN

You need to do the fist bump handshake also.

if you mean pound it, then yes.
i would do exactly this.
nod, sup, pound it.

(dont be perverted)
i would casually say "sup homedog, keepin' it old school? and then go for the fist bump
no but seriously i would bow but ith a face that says i think i'm better than you, you know just that smile that makes you look like your superior even though you aren't.
because personally i think her position is pretty much just for show and keep the english happy and has no real power whatsoever, excaclty like the guy at the IGA in town
Quote by Robbie n strat

"What you are, you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am by myself. There are and always will be thousands of princes, but there is only one Beethoven. "

Sounds like a cocky bastard.

No I wouldn't bow to the Queen, I think you summed it up pretty well in your post.
Quote by Robbie n strat
So do many people, but you'd more than likely shake their hand rather than bow to them. I don't see why the queen should have the extra honour.

True. I'd rather not cause any trouble and make it easier for everyone instead of likely creating a scene and pissing everyone off, though.
im 14 and american

i wouldnt recognize the queen of england if she knocked me down and teabagged me

Because we all know British people love tea.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
i would rather bow to angus young, on the topic did anyone else here that the dude from motorhead was getting knighted!? how retarded is that?!
Naw. I don't really understand her role in UK society, anyway. She's just ceremonial, right?

That is pretty badass.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Yes, out of respect to my country as well as the queen. The UK might be going down the shiter, ut I'd still bow because I want my country to do well, if anyone understands.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
I think, whether you like England or not, it's just a sign of respect and courtesy.

So yes, I definitely would.
The.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Not really. They hog a quarter of a billion pounds of tax payers money, get more money due to all the properties they own and throw away some light cash.

No title independent of hard work and worthy respect should demand authority. She's not having mine. Manners, yes, but no authority.
Quote by Zacky Zoijian
Because we all know British people love tea.

and let me guess you're a fat stupid redneck who wants to kill everything?

Dont stereotype dumbass

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
and let me guess you're a fat stupid redneck who wants to kill everything?

Dont stereotype dumbass

Yeah, he forgot crumpets also.
All your base are belong to us.
Page 1 of 3