hey so i started to tech my self some theory (picked up some books) i know the pentatonic scales, and triad cords (major minor diminished, and augmented) I know most of the 7th cords, and the major diatonic scales. I have been reading and it sounds like the next thing i need to learn is harmonic minor scales. I also know the lead patters that go along with the scales, i also could if i had to figure out modes but i dont know them that well.

what should i focus on next that is more metal orientated?
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Fender rumble 300 bass amp
Peavey 6505 head
Marshall special edition red cab
pinch harmonics got em down
got two string pinch harmonics down
got up pick stroke pinch harmonics
and can even (if im in the zone haha) sweep pinch harmoinc (only like 3 strings)

btw i have pretty much all metal techniques down pretty well i can sweep pretty good, speed pick, play harmonics, and in general just play fast, i also work on technique a lot.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Could you be a little more specific? Saying "I need metal oriented techniques" and then turning around and informing us that "I have pretty much all metal techniques down pretty well" (which is doubtful anyway) doesn't help us too much.
What kind of metal anyway? Brutal death and hair metal are fairly different.

Anyway, lots of the more hardcore-like metal is very minor key-based, with, as you said, lots of harmonic minor scale usage. However, "tr00" metal(as in brutal death, grind, etc.) is almost defined by a use of strange tonalities. Try using modes of the harmonic minor scale(Phrygian dominant is great, as is Lydian#2, or symmetrical scales like the whole tone or diminished scales.
yeah i know its kind of vague but idk i play lots and lots of stuff.

i guess im more or less asking should i keep getting lots of scales down or should i go into like cord progressions.

i think im going to lean arpeggios very soon (i can play them but i dont know which ones r which)

dood i can play the main metal techniques pretty good thats all i have focused on for the past few months and considering this is the 19th month that iv been playing guitar i have dedicated most of my time to techinque (3-5 hours a day usually)

idk i can play 3/4 of Michael angelo baitos no boundaries (im still learning it), and i like to play dethklok stuff because its pretty technical. but i also like to play stuff like between the burried and me, as well as grid core stuff like see you next tuesday.

basically i want to move more into structured writing rather than hey this is cool or i will modify this lick (i hate copying other peoples ideas)
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
oh and i have heard lots of people say ( in my reading and on this form) that minor stuff is good to know, along with blues scales, so will probably work on those too.
i just want to know if i should keep the direction im going or if i should change to phrasing or maybe a little of both.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Learn some theory, it's good to have a balance; learning scales is no good if you don't understand how to apply them and how they work.

Nineteen months of playing + No Boundaries = Does Not Compute

I have to question that.
"Hey this is cool" is a great way to write. You can analyze it and see what makes it cool.

In my opinion, one thing you should work on is training your ear. You'll be able to identify for yourself the tonalities in different kinds of metal and make a distinction. Metal in standard major or minor tonalities are easy enough to identify as such, but like I said, death metal and similar genres almost pride themselves on how twisted they can make the 12 notes we've got sound. A lot of it can be explained through altered diatonic modes or keys, interchange between parallel modes or keys, and use of harmonically unstable scales(diminished and wholetone, etc)
no iv worked on no boundaries for about a month now, yeah i now iv basically been just learning stuff and now i want to know how.

and you guys have helped a lot.

i have books that iv been reading, and they have whole scales and half step scales, and different stuff, and its hard to know what to look for when im learning it, i mean eventually i want to know it all but it would be nice to start with the stuff i can more easily apply to writing the kind of music i like.

yeah when i started i told myself i wanted to learn technique really good before i really got into theory, i guess that probably wasnt the smartest decision, even though just playing has taught me a good amount about theory, but now its time to hit theory hard.

but some good news, i have noticed stuff like gramp said, when i listen to songs i try to pick out stuff that i have learned, and when im learning stuff i like to pick out forms nd what not. it was just kind of hard because most of the stuff i had learned didnt really apply that much to the kind of music i listen to.

but thanks everyone

part of the reason i just learned song in the beginning was because i was one of those players where i was like omg i will feel so cool if i can play that, but it never satisfied me, i soon realized that i needed to write amazing stuff to satisfy my inner guitarist.

im not even that bad at writing i would just really like to know how

im that kind of a person i think (im majoring in math and physics / taking pre dental)
(im basically taking math and physics for fun) i like to know how stuff works so dont worry im going to put lots of time into theory now but i wont stop bettering my technique.
my gear:
Jackson Roads Pro
Gibson Explorer Pro
Fender American P-bass
Squire P-bass
Peavey 6505 head
Last edited by keabler at Jul 9, 2008,