so ive been hearing about alot of metal guitarists using major arpeggios and i was wondering if a D major arpeggio would sound good over a band playing in D natural minor.... is this the case?
Pretty much guaranteed not to. A case where you would use major arpeggios would be over a major chord in a minor progression. For instance, in a progression going Am G F E, you could use a G major, F major, and E major arpeggio over their respective chords. Alternatively, major(and any other) arpeggios can be used to extend chords(IE an F major arpeggio over a D minor chord creates a Dm7), but generally speaking, that's not found in metal.
no it's more like if someone is playing in C minor. for tension use the minor third of that d# major arpeggio.
You probably wouldn't want to use a DM over a Dm without actually modulating from D minor to D major. If you want a better effect and tonal variance try using the relative key (as in Crazy Train where there is modulation between F# minor and the relative key A major). In your case D minor and F major.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Probably not because of the clashing thirds. D major is D F# A, while D minor is D F A. However, if the bands playing something in D minor, one option is to arpeggiate major chords in the key of D minor. Here's an example. I'll use powerchords since you said metal lol.

Let's say the band is playing D5 Bb5 G5 F5. If you wanted to stay strictly in the key of D minor and follow the chords, you could arpeggiate, say, Bb major over the Bb5, and F major over the F5 because Bb major and F major are chords in the key of D minor.
As everyone else is said, it's not apt to sound particularly nice.
Quote by uvq
uhh, im not so sure.

Still with this great advice? Honestly, it's enough with this kind of posting.