Like the title says when are you acualy a guitarist? when you can play a few chords, when you can play a song entirely by ear, or when you can write a decent song? just to give examples.
Is this going to be one of those incredibly pretentious threads where people talk about "the spirit of the true guitarist" and bash Guitar Hero?

Anyway, I define a guitarist as someone who plays guitar on a regular basis.
Quote by jsbud11
When you smash all your gear and wreck a hotel room.

+1
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
When someone plays, umm, a guitar?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
when you play cause you love to play.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
When you play drums
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
When you play guitar more than 3 minutes a day. 4 works, just not 3.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by Soul Power
When someone plays, umm, a guitar?

so a dude that just randomly picks up a guitar and hits random notes is a guitarist? when are you considered to play the guitar?
Playing guitar on a regular basis, because you want to play and learn that instrument and write and learn music.

not because you want to impress people

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Is this going to be one of those incredibly pretentious threads where people talk about "the spirit of the true guitarist" and bash Guitar Hero?

Anyway, I define a guitarist as someone who plays guitar on a regular basis.

Yes and yes...a guitarist is someone with a guitar that plays it, whether they play it completely different than other guitarists (which most of the time I think that's a good thing) whether they know any theory at all, whether they can analyze the music they or anyone else plays, whether or not you are any good at all, if you have a guitar and play it you are a guitarist...
when you stop calling yourself a guitarist, and you're not a guitarist for the sake of being a guitarist, but for the sake of playing music
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
Quote by jsbud11
Fixed.

Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by guitarplayer769
so a dude that just randomly picks up a guitar and hits random notes is a guitarist? when are you considered to play the guitar?

You know what I mean, smartass
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I think you're a guitarist when you can sit down and listen to what you're playing. i remember when i started out i focused so much on the movements of my fingers and such i couldn't hear the music. so once you get past the movements and into the music, i think you're a guitarist.
The second you play a note on a guitar you're a guitarist.

How good of a guitarist you are, however, varies on skill.
You'll know.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
When you can play a chord, know what notes are in the chord, and why they are in the chord.
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome
When you can play a chord, know what notes are in the chord, and why they are in the chord.

alot of posers out there then if you go by that hahah