Page 1 of 2
Once again, I was comparing these amps at GC (A dual recto, the 5150 I, II, and III, and also a B52, as well as a JSX and a XXX) and I realized... Godamn 5150s have fizzy annoying distortion. alot of these amps also lack bass response. Is there something wrong with me. Do you have to use like an AD-9 to tighten these up? Am I tonedeaf? HELP!
A lot of people find that the Dual Recto needs to be cranked slightly to tighten up. The 5150 is known to be kind of fizzy, but the bass response on that and the other amps shouldn't be an issue, unless you were playing them really quietly. Also, which ones were you playing as combos/heads, what cabs were you using, and what guitars?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
all tested with a 61 reissue SG, the Peavey's/EVH were using marshall 1960a cabs, and the b-52 had the standard B-52, as well the mesa had the standard mesa 3/4 back cab...

The 5150s also did not have the saturation to suit my thirst for gain...
You need to turn them up. This rubbish that's going around about metal amps taking their tone entirely from the preamp is total bollocks, they will sound fizzy until you crank them up a bit. It's also very easy to overdo the gain on high gain amps, making the fizziness worse.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Yea a lot of high gain amps seem to be a bit fizzy. That fizz is actually somewhat good for metal rhythm. Just not leads.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I guess that means... I'll have to look into Higher end high gain amps (to compliment the lower gain exuberant cleans of the C30)... There goes my college fund...

Time to try out the ENGLs, Framus Cobra, the Lagunas, the VHTs, and the Splawns...
Quote by Highwaytohell
at least 10 minutes each... The 5150 II seemed to have a volume issue as well...

Sometimes it takes a loooong time to really get a feel for the EQing of these amps...
I've had my -B-52 AT for quite a while now, and It took hours of playing with it to really get the feel for the amp and what it can do... I can actually get some really good nonfizzy tones out of it with the contour engaged even..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Highwaytohell
I guess that means... I'll have to look into Higher end high gain amps (to compliment the lower gain exuberant cleans of the C30)... There goes my college fund...

Time to try out the ENGLs, Framus Cobra, the Lagunas, the VHTs, and the Splawns...

those amps are gonna be fizzy at low volumes also and will kill your wallet.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Try turning down the gain a bit. I find most amps sound fizzy with the gain cranked

I will seriously cringe if TS did cranked the gain knob....
Also, on the 5150s, you shouldn't have gone overboard with the Presence knob (if you did).
Why did you even look into these amps if you're gassing for a Quickrod though?

EDIT: and like everyone else said, you should turn up the volume knob up if it's on 0-1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by timi_hendrix
You need to turn them up. This rubbish that's going around about metal amps taking their tone entirely from the preamp is total bollocks, they will sound fizzy until you crank them up a bit. It's also very easy to overdo the gain on high gain amps, making the fizziness worse.

what people mean when they say that metal amps rely on the preamp is that you dont really want the poweramp amp to overdrive, you want to push it but you dont want it distorting or else youll lose all tightness.

but yeah, esp. with the 5150, its really easy to go overboard with the gain. it has SO much on tap.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
TS, if you ending up trying out those amps again btw, turn the gain down as you turn the volume up.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It's hard to stabilize an amp with that much gain, so the fizziness you're hearing is an artifact of the amp's design and is very hard, if not impossible, to dial out. Turning the amp up helps, but aside from heavy modification there's no real way around it that I know of.
Maybe new tubes? Aside from that though, you should've known the 5150 is fizzy sounding..
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
If you had the gain on the 5150 anywhere past 7, at the most, then that's probably one problem; however, I agree that the Peaveys sound fizzy. The 5150 III doesn't though imo.

B-52s I didn't think were fizzy at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Also, the 5150 III should not be played through G12T-75s. The amp should be put through the G-12M Heritage speakers in the matching cab. Also, G12T-75s are very fizzy speakers to begin with, I find they have a very harsh buzzy sound.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Also, the 5150 III should not be played through G12T-75s. The amp should be put through the G-12M Heritage speakers in the matching cab. Also, G12T-75s are very fizzy speakers to begin with, I find they have a very harsh buzzy sound.

+1, G12T-75s sound bad with almost anything but a Marshall. Though, I actually liked how the 5150 III sounded through the 1960 at GC, hopefully it won't sound like crap when I get mine

I have my eyes out for the 5150 III cab though, no way I'm paying $1100 for that thing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
try a Metal Muff its like a triple recto on steroids that goes to eleven in a box. It also contains the souls of ten thousand fallen demons. Sweet thick distortion with top boost for solos
Quote by FLCLcowdude

IMO Vintage 30's are worst. To each on his own....
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
IMO Vintage 30's are worst. To each on his own....

HAI MISTAR, I like my v30s. But you don't play my amp and I don't play yours, so we are treading on personal preference.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by Stratmaster458
try a Metal Muff its like a triple recto on steroids that goes to eleven in a box. It also contains the souls of ten thousand fallen demons. Sweet thick distortion with top boost for solos

There's no way a Metal Muff is like a Triple Recto.

I seriously hope you're kidding.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's no way a Metal Muff is like a Triple Recto.

I seriously hope you're kidding.

I played a metal muff through a Mark I reissue, and it was so bad I nearly shat brix.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Obviously some people can't detect sarcasm...

EDIT: TS, why would you use a delay pedal to tighten an amp? Unless you meant OD-9...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by aznrockerdude
Obviously some people can't detect sarcasm...

Ya know, it is really hard on the interwebz sometimes. I have one of 3 pieces of conversation. That makes it teh hard.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
9/10 people who find high gain amps fizzy or crap sounding do not know how to EQ something made for high gain. 97% are also made up on the spot. Now then, that said, I do think most people who have issues just aren't very good with EQing, or EQ extremes.
^^Lol go to sleep dude...

CJ you got a good point, but some amps just inherit certain characteristics (I'm not saying it's impossible to dial the fizz out of a 5150 though...)
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Lol go to sleep dude...

Okie...

Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Just kidding FLCLcowdude lol.

And Matrix, where did you get most of your 5150 settings from?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
hey now. The metal muff is pretty powerful, alright i may be exaggerating a little but hell maybe he should give it a try. Have you guys heard of The Sword J.D Cronise uses a metal muff into a Orange OR80
hey now. The metal muff is pretty powerful, alright i may be exaggerating a little but hell maybe he should give it a try. Have you guys heard of The Sword J.D Cronise uses a metal muff into a Orange OR80 and he gets a pretty powerful and brutal tone.

EDIT: sorry for the double posting
Quote by aznrockerdude
And Matrix, where did you get most of your 5150 settings from?

My Peavey settings? From myself, and then I also tried some ones that were on the internet that I found for In Flames and Unearth and then went from there

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
No offense Matrix - but we get the fact that you are getting a EVH 5150 III-

but, shouldn't that be in a GAS list until you actually have it?

OK - FAIL = i know you are gonna have it and i'm jelous.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mike.h
Yea a lot of high gain amps seem to be a bit fizzy. That fizz is actually somewhat good for metal rhythm. Just not leads.

+1

sometimes my mesa can be a bit fizzy, but it sounds great in a mix. i wish the leads sounded smoother though.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
To Highwaytohell, how much gain were you running, and how high did you turn up. The gain at 5 and post volume at 6-8 on a 5150 is where the sweet spot is. Once you get there, its zero fizz.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Yes, those amps you mentioned can be fizzy and almost always be UNLESS you knwo the amp. As previously mentioned, at low volumes, mainstream high gain amps can be very fizzy, especailly when not EQed carefully. If your sensory perception tells you cut mids, turn up everything else, then you are going to get a ****ty representation of what the amp can do. Even though I don't like Rectifiers, they can get a good tone that you like IF you spend a long time EQing them and learning the characteristics of the amp. That also being said, Rectos are so common that pretty much everything that the Recto series can do has been done. A band that I did roadie work for, Karnivool, uses 5150 amplifiers and they sound great when used properly. You need at least 5 hours with the amp, just tweaking to get to know the controls. Tube amps have very sensitive and reactive controls compared to solid states so the slightest touch can alter tone altogether. As for the B52's, they are a cheap version of the Recto sound, and they have a reputation of being fizzy, so I can't really help you there, same again basicaly, but to a lesser extent.

Additionally, your ear may be more accustomed the British voicing like Marshalls and Oranges have. I also prefer the British voicing with more pronounced mids and a more woolly sound and subsequently, 6L6GC amps can sound fizzy to you.

In short, try them for longer or if you don't like the sound, move on to something on a different vein, because all those ampsshare somewhat similar characteristics (within reason of course)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I also find high gain amps need to be played very loud for upwards of a half hour before they reach their tonal potential.

Players seem to always complain about fizz and act as if they are afraid of treble frequencies. Time and time again I hear this. Shrugs Players with good knowledge of the amp, and a good eqing ear, can always eleviate this "problem".
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Page 1 of 2