Hi all, I've got a 2004 MIM Standard Strat HSS that I'll be converting to an all rock/metal guitar. What would be your suggestions for pickups? only one rule: No active pickups, i don't want to mess with batteries

I wouldn't want to play only one type of rock/metal, just rock/metal in general, like Metallica, Three Days Grace, Judas Priest, old Ozzy, Bloodsimple... the list goes on.
I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself.

If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so astonished.
um...
some hot rails?
iron maiden loves them
and me loves some iron maiden
"so did you do anything hardocore today?"

"yeah dude i went to the bathroom and pluged up the toilet like hardcore! water would not stop coming out of it! It was like eddie van halen was playing Eruption in my bathroom! If van halen was a toilet
you can get some humbuckers for it. look into Seymour Duncan
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
how about a JB Jr. or hot rails in bridge, little 59s in mid and neck.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by DuhSpesoBoyz
aww, I read the title and I thought you meant a guitar made from metal..

lol, sorry to disappoint

yeah, i'm looking at some SD's, maybe some passive EMG's. but i wanted to know your guy's opinions

wait, i just realized its an HSS strat.
may we know what is your amp first?
Quote by Shadowrunner
lol, sorry to disappoint

yeah, i'm looking at some SD's, maybe some passive EMG's. but i wanted to know your guy's opinions

I'm gonna buy some duncans for my Epi G-400, then (when I get more money) put some in my strat.
Bareknuckle warpig in the bridge? Maybe one of Cord's neobuckers? I have hotrails in my strat, it works well for me.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
As earlier suggested, Seymour Duncan is amazing.

Humbuckers

SD Invader
SD JB
SD Distortion
SD Screamin Demon
SD Dimebucker

As for single coils, as recommended earlier, SD Hot Rails are pretty good, but I doubt you would want to use single coils for hard metal distortion. Mainly worry about the humbucker and change the single coils as you check em out.
Quote by leviticus_22953
wait, i just realized its an HSS strat.
may we know what is your amp first?

well, right now it's just a small Frontman 15R. tomorrow i'm getting a Blues Jr.

after that is gonna be a a good high gain amp. i'd also appreciate suggestions on that

well for metal, id recommend a Full Shred or Screamin Demon in bridge. but wait till you get your new amp so youll know what to do with your tone.
Quote by leviticus_22953
well for metal, id recommend a Full Shred or Screamin Demon in bridge. but wait till you get your new amp so youll know what to do with your tone.

if he's getting a seymour duncan he's going to need a trembucker(TB) since its a strat.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
if he's getting a seymour duncan he's going to need a trembucker(TB) since its a strat.

yes. a trembucker indeed. i forgot to mention that.
i don't just play metal. i play blues, country and all that other stuff. i'm buying a SSS Strat for that.

Quote by forsaknazrael
No, no, and no.

Good god, you play metal, and you're buying a Blue Junior? That's a bad idea.

That is your opinion. I, personally, think the Invader and the JB are amazing pickups.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, no, and no.

Good god, you play metal, and you're buying a Blue Junior? That's a bad idea.

The JB is a fine a pickup, though the other two I hear are pure crap.

As for the TS, you'll probably want an SD Custom Custom for the bridge. Not too sure about the neck and middle though. Do you want true singles, or stacked humbuckers?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by miniindividual
um...
some hot rails?
iron maiden loves them
and me loves some iron maiden

+1 i was gonna suggest this or srv single coils in the neck and middle position and a super distortion in bridge
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by poguemahone805

As for single coils, as recommended earlier, SD Hot Rails are pretty good, but I doubt you would want to use single coils for hard metal distortion. Mainly worry about the humbucker and change the single coils as you check em out.

Hot Rails are not single coils.
thanks for the suggestions everybody. i think i'm gonna go with the JB in the bridge. as for the middle and neck, i was thinking hot rails for middle and either cool rails or a little 59 in the neck for when i need to go clean.

Quote by Shadowrunner
thanks for the suggestions everybody. i think i'm gonna go with the JB in the bridge. as for the middle and neck, i was thinking hot rails for middle and either cool rails or a little 59 in the neck for when i need to go clean.

dont forget to get a TB-4 since you have a strat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-TB4-JB-Reverse-Pickup?sku=300000
Quote by mikeyElite

yeah i'll have to remember that.

what is it exactly... the SH-4 just wouldn't fit, cuz of the tremolo? and the TB-4 is like spaced or something so that it will fit?

Quote by Shadowrunner
yeah i'll have to remember that.

what is it exactly... the SH-4 just wouldn't fit, cuz of the tremolo? and the TB-4 is like spaced or something so that it will fit?

they're both the same size just the tb-4 has wider spaced pole pieces so that they match up with the strings better, giving it a better/more responsive sound.
what amp (not TOO expensive) would you all recommend for this?

Quote by Shadowrunner
what amp (not TOO expensive) would you all recommend for this?

For amps, truly, the best advice to give, is for you to go down to a GC or Samash, any store for that matter, and spend the day checking out different amps.

Also, do you want a combo or a stack? Gigs or bedroom rocker? Define "not TOO expensive." Solid state or valve? Hybrid?

A good place to start is, in my opinion, with Peavey and Crate. They can get rather good distortion without the use of pedals. But again, its all personal preference. Some people hate Crate or Peavey. But its all personal choice. So again, go to a large guitar store, and test out every amp in sight. Ignore what you hear is a POS, find out if an amp is a POS for yourself. I was told that the Crate Blue Voodoo sucks, but I think they get pretty decent sound.

Some notable companies to check out would be Randall, Marshall, Engl, Mesa, Crate, Peavey, etc. But again, go to a store and find what you personally like. Dont be afraid to check out a certain amp that people say has a bad sound, it might, it might not. The worst that can happen is that it DOES have bad tone and you wasted five minutes playing a s**t amp. Do not buy an amp right then and there, as well. Find some that you really like, go online, and research. Look into their reliability and what past experiences others have had with that amp. When finding an amp and guitar, you dont want to be looking for what we like, but what you like. What feels comfortable for you and such. When you find that amp that is just... you, youll know it.
Last edited by poguemahone805 at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by Shadowrunner

Hot rail in the middle would be awkward at best. It's a higher output than the cool rail, and as such would overpower it ridiculously. Do you seriously see yourself using the middle pickup in the future much? Because I for one do not see many people using the middle pickup unless it is with one of the other two.
Strats are cool and all, but why not just get an Ibanez or something. Anyway, get stacked humbuckers like these http://guitarbitz.com/562.htm
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I know you said you did not want anything to do with actives, thats what i beleived too

i got a set of emg single coils ( 60's i beleive)

now you say messing with batteries bother you, but theyre good for 1000 hours, and after its a simple change

anyways, for metal i highly suggest if you want passive to go with a high output humbucker in bridge, if not a stacked single can do the trick

IMO

EDIT: look into a dimarzio d-activator you might enjoy
Last edited by ferguson911 at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by ferguson911
I know you said you did not want anything to do with actives, thats what i beleived too

i got a set of emg single coils ( 60's i beleive)

now you say messing with batteries bother you, but theyre good for 1000 hours, and after its a simple change

anyways, for metal i highly suggest if you want passive to go with a high output humbucker in bridge, if not a stacked single can do the trick

IMO

EDIT: look into a dimarzio d-activator you might enjoy

I have read that active pickups are not as "natural" sounding to the amp. Is this true?
I have a lil 59 on my tele and it gives me a strong grunchy sound perfect for does AC/DC songs

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by poguemahone805
I have read that active pickups are not as "natural" sounding to the amp. Is this true?

Not natural it depends i'd say, but active according to me are MUCH better through tube amps, heck i have my emg singles running through a ts9 and right to my fendeer deluixe reverb and it sound much nicer than my previous pups!!
Quote by Cutmyself
Hot rail in the middle would be awkward at best. It's a higher output than the cool rail, and as such would overpower it ridiculously. Do you seriously see yourself using the middle pickup in the future much? Because I for one do not see many people using the middle pickup unless it is with one of the other two.

well, it's a Strat with room for 3 pickups, i may as well have some versatility. and from the website, cool rails and hots have like 1K difference in output.

and as for actives, wouldn't there be routing involved? i don't wanna mess with that or pay for it.

I have a MIM Strat with a Screamin Demon in the bridge position and i love it to death.
i would go with the jb
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL