I've got a 1980 fender supertwin reverb rated at 180 watts rms and 395 watts peak. my question is, can you remove like 2 or maybe 4 of the 6 6l6 powertubes to reduce the wattage to achieve a natural breakup/ overdrive? I have read this is theoreticaly supposed to work but I want more thoughts. I love how the amp sounds, but of course it has tons of clean headroom( and tons of weight, 95 lbs ouch!) I will buy pedals if I have to but I just wanted to know if this works, thanks.
You can remove paired Power Amp tubes to decrease the overall wattage and drop the headroom, but I recomend getting an attenuator instead. You have much more control over your amps output that way...

also, if you insist on pulling your power amp tubes, you have to be sure that you pull them out in matched pairs
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
yeah get an attenuator, from what ive been told removing tubes can perminantly dammage your amp. not sure but it makes sence.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Attenuator?
Could you get that at any music store?
How does it work? Installation and what not?
Sorry for stealing your thread ts.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
you can get them at most music stores

some are attached diff but most go between the head and cab.fram what ive seen

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Ahh, thats what I wanted to find out, if there is any chance of damaging the amp i wont do it. The attentuator might be worth looking in to. I just want to have a decent overdrive at a level that I can stand in the house. What would be an advatage of an attentuator over a pedal if any?
what do you mean pedal?

there is no amp damage and they are perfect for lowering overall sound and keeping sound quality.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Attenuators absorb and disipate the power from the amp before it hits the speakers and allow you to "attenuate" the levels that the speakers recieve...

No pedal can do what an attenuator does... They allow you to crank your amp to whatever you want, while only hearing the levels that you want..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Ive taken 2 x EL84's out of my Laney VC30 and it takes away about half the headroom compared to a VC30 with 4x EL84's. It does also take away a small amount of volume away, making the amp more easier to crank at home or when jamming with other people. I haven't heard of removing tubes causing permanent damage to an amp before, but then I don't have as much experience with tube amps compared to other people on UG
Pedal meaning some kind of overdrive pedal to get that sound without crankin on it vs. using an attentuator. I dont know a whole lot about these attentuators but im finding out more as I go and it sounds like what would fit my needs. Ill do some googling as well to learn even more. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.
Quote by end_citizen
Is there an attenuator that is rated to handle that much power though? 180 RMS is a whole lotta power.

I believe that(and I could be wrong, so double check), that the Hot Plates are designed to take up to 185watts RMS..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Vince (the.spine.surfs) pulled four of the six tubes in his super twin and says it works pretty well. I think he's running it on 1 or 2 speakers too.
The main advantage is that you will still get that full-volume-tube sound, but at a lower level. With a pedal, you'll still get an overdrive, but it will be the overdrive from the pedal, not the tubes, which theoretically won't sound as good.
Quote by end_citizen
Is there an attenuator that is rated to handle that much power though? 180 RMS is a whole lotta power.

read thru this site if you have not found it already. Good info.

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

i see a Mass-200 coming out soon.

Also, i feel stupid for asking this but is it really 180 watts?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Also, i feel stupid for asking this but is it really 180 watts?

SIX 6l6s...it's the real deal
damn, be careful if you do get an attenuator. i'm sure if you have it running at full output, it'll be running almost twice it's rms wattage. so even the mass 200 might not be able to handle it. i wonder what'll happen...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
cuts the impedance in half. 16ohm - 8ohm, 8ohm - 4ohm.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
cuts the impedance in half. 16ohm - 8ohm, 8ohm - 4ohm.

+1
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not