i was thinking about trying to convince my parents to go half and half on a new amp with me for my birthday. i will get my half from selling my vj (250ish) and another 250-300 US$ from my parents. i was considering getting a tiny terror cause the youtube videos sound amazing, and i have no where at all to test this thing out at a music store or something.

could anybody who owns one post some higher quality sound samples, preferably with no pedals or the pedals that i own (see sig)? i would really appreciate it.

or if anyone has some other amp suggestions (new or used (ebay) price would be 500 us$ MAX), i would appreciate that as well. i play hard rock, some metalish stuff, classic rock. (black sabbath, metallica, buckethead)
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i got nothing.
and btw you'd prolly have to buy a boost or overdrive to take you into metal territory with the TT.
put that into consideration
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Maybe go for a new guitar. You've got a pretty nice amp for the stuff you play as it is.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
i kno it cant go metal without a boost or a tubescreamer or something, i would just like to hear some samples with either nothing, or what i already have.

and i am also getting a new guitar. im getting a prs se singlecut trem, and maybe, maybe putting in duncans or something.

im not dead set on getting a new amp, it was just an idea i had. i do like my vjr with its many mods, but i like to keep trying new things, cause my tone isnt what i really want just yet.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i kno it cant go metal without a boost or a tubescreamer or something, i would just like to hear some samples with either nothing, or what i already have.

and i am also getting a new guitar. im getting a prs se singlecut trem, and maybe, maybe putting in duncans or something.

im not dead set on getting a new amp, it was just an idea i had. i do like my vjr with its many mods, but i like to keep trying new things, cause my tone isnt what i really want just yet.

If your getting a new guitar I would just put all the money together and get one really really nice thing. The Valve Junior is a pretty nice little amp, and it seems like you don't gig because of your choice with the Tiny Terror. Also remember that if you get a Tiny Terror you're going to need a cab which will set you back a few hundred dollars more.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

jesus! you're gonna buy a prs and then spend a fraction on a TT?
u got it wrong.
spend more on the amp, and less on the guitar. if ur buying the 3,500USD prs, and a tt, i suggest spending like 2.5k on amp and 1.5k on guitar...

EDIT: dude i got it totally wrong my bad. i wasnt looking at the singlecut SE.
forgive me and my trespasses.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
i think a few of u got it wrong.

the prs se series only go for about 400-500 used. tiny terror goes for 400ish. so about the same.

and i have seen the tiny terror do metal, but im concerned with what it does otherwise, thats not hardcore metal, hence my request of amp only sound samples cause everyone on youtube uses a pedal or something.

and the reason i cant put the money together and buy one thing is because getting this money requires me to sell my current gear. i cant get a new guitar without selling mine, and same for the amp, which is why i would need both.

and dont get me wrong, i do love my valve jr, but its not perfect. and yes, i do not gig, so this is only for a bedroom/dorm setup.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Jul 10, 2008,
can't attach any mp3's to this thread, but if you go to my profile and listen to 3 different projects with the TT. the jams on 5 12 08 are all me playing a 2008 american standard ash strat HSS directly into an orange TT with an orange 2x12 cab with celestion V30's, On the track 'funk as a skunk' i use the orange in it's upper limits of headroom(volume: 7, gain: 4/5) and then use my addrock overdrive to dirty it up a bit, the orange's natural grit is a bit edgier, but it does show how well the TT takes to boost and overdrive pedals and it is a pretty good track recording so you can hear the amp more clearly. the song '12 bar' features the orange in the right ear, it is using the addrock overdrive and a tc electronic scf for ocassional chorus, and maybe some reverb here and there; this track gives you a better idea of the range of the amp.

make sure you listen to a little bit of all the tracks for the jam on 5 12 08, because the amp is put trough it's paces and it is the best example of it's raw tone, i also wasn't really playing with the gain knob on the amp too much, i was mainly switching pickups and using the volume to control the sound from the amp.
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 10, 2008,
^^awesome, thanks a lot! ill check those out as soon as i can. much appreciated.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
bump

is it just your recording gear or does the tiny terror have very little bass in it. thats my main problem with the valve jr, its not bassy enough and theres no punch. (i have a 1x12 with a v-30)
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Everyone who says tiny terrors can't do metal have most def not played one. I just played one the other day and it does metal easily. I didn't have it turned up either.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
thats my main problem with the valve jr, its not bassy enough and theres no punch. (i have a 1x12 with a v-30)

Open or closed back? I'm guessing open. I'd think a decent closed cab with a V30 would give you a respectable amount of bottom end for your amp. You're never going to get any thunder out of the VJ or, really, the Tiny Terror. Although, the TT'll be a little better. Depending on the mods you've done to the VJ, you may find the TT to be even less versatile. It's also going to be very loud for a bedroom/dorm setup. It is a small gig amp.

A closed back cab and an eq might tighten up your sound in the short term. Those are things I'd think you'd want with the TT, too, so you might want to pick them up first. See if they settle some of your issues.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well, one of those tracks has distorted bass on it that could be mistaken for the TT, i also run my cabinet close backed(with v30's), so that might be giving it low end. there is more low end in the amp than is on the recordings, i run my tone knob at about 3 o'clock normally, and that has accents on the higher end of EQ. as far as metal tones, i don't necessarily run my TT for lots of distortion, i've grown old and metal tones are not my bag anymore, but i have gotten some pretty mean metal like tones when messing around. i am pretty sure if you want to use this as a metal amp you could get a good pedal and run it in the front for over the top distortion, though the in amp distortion should be good enough for all but the heaviest styles of metal. i saw the link on youtube with an orange rep running an MXR boost pedal in the front of the TT and it was pretty grisly. link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MpZoWsFlJQ&feature=PlayList&p=0F4FDD4945135B75&index=3

i haven't really heard anyone mention the main reason i love my TT(not just 'like' it but 'love' it) and that is the insane feedback. it is so smooth and musical and quite easily controlled. love it.
i do have a closed back with a v30, and an eq pedal with the bass all the way up, and bass all the way up on w/e pedal im using. but i suppose the tiny terror may not be for me. i really wish i could just try it out somewhere. o well.

thanks all for your help
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
if you are having low end issues you may want to switch out your V-30 with the G12H-30, evidently the 'H' is supposed to be a greenback with an oversized magnet(although the V-30 and the G12H-30 both have 50 oz. magnets) and is supposed to have amazing low end.

imo, you don't really need to worry about some of issues you are concerned about with the TT. the TT can do metal, just get a boost pedal; the TT does have low end, it just doesn't rank as one of the heavy hitters in the low end department(i don't find a need for more low end out the amp myself); the orange is pretty loud and it won't give the greatest tones at bedroom volume, but what the hell does(um, actually the zvex mini guitar amp thing can, that thing is amazing) imo bedroom amps are crappy sounding 15 watt solid state amps. who needs tone in the bedroom, i only need tone when i gig. i have played alot of amps and owned a handful and the orange TT is my main amp right now(i also own an 80's music man hd 212, and a thd bivalve and still prefer the TT). the bottom line is i believe the TT is the best amp on the market for the money(though the VJ is a great value too) and will grow with you as a player as well.

the choice is yours of course, but i just don't know what else in the price range of a TT you could be looking at and still expect nearly as good of an amp.