Whats the best way to loosen up tense, tight muscles before a gig? My muscles really dont warm up and loosen up until about 30 minutes of playing, which obviously in a bar/club gig setting is not very good. I am always very tense, probably thanks to years of desk jobs.

Also, I notice that my forearm of my strumming hand tends to get stuck to the body of the guitar when I get sweaty, which throws me off when I try to slide down to like the High E on the 12th fret. Any tips on that?? I been playing about 2 years, but still consider myself a noob
um...
masterbate?
make all that tense-ness go away
"so did you do anything hardocore today?"

"yeah dude i went to the bathroom and pluged up the toilet like hardcore! water would not stop coming out of it! It was like eddie van halen was playing Eruption in my bathroom! If van halen was a toilet
Quote by miniindividual
um...
masterbate?

if not that then i guess you could just lie down
for a while or put a couple beers in you
not alot but one or two
"so did you do anything hardocore today?"

"yeah dude i went to the bathroom and pluged up the toilet like hardcore! water would not stop coming out of it! It was like eddie van halen was playing Eruption in my bathroom! If van halen was a toilet
Practice thirty minutes before the set. Just do warm ups, play scales, do some kind of exercise. Do the 1234 thing for a while. And wear something on your forearm, like one of those wrist bands or something, just higher on your arm.
Quote by paranoideyes
introduce her to the back of your hand.
Quote by saphrax
Remember kids.
Backhand = Discipline
Palm hand = Abuse

tension = massage your hands and arms.
do a harder warm up, shred with all your soul on chromatic stuff.

stickiness = wear something with a sleeve!
Good tips. Actually I do have 1 or 2 beers before a show. Thats helps with any pre show jitters. But as for practicing before the set, its kinda hard cuz we are always out and about with the crowd and what not. I might try some kind of band on my forearm for the sweaty, sticky problem, but its been hot as heck here lately
Quote by RCalisto

+1

wear something with a sleeve, if you cant do that then try rubbing some oil on your arm so it wont stick but make sure the oil wont damage the guitar, or another alternative is to stick a clorh on the body of the guitar (your arm part), make sure you can take it off after the show.
-note, i have never tried this..

if you cant practice before the show then practice before going to your show, practicing helps remove the stress you get, practice the song before you go there and other warmups.

good luck
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
i'd say just think "total relaxation." that's what i do.

as for sticky fore arm, just remove it from the guitar body entirely when you go to slide
Quote by miniindividual
um...
masterbate?

yea masterbateing rlly does realive stress
or u can jus get like a bj 4rm a roadie or sumthing
but dnt get 2 relaxed, cuz then ur not ganna wanna play
as for the arm sticking 2 ur guitar
wear ur guitar lower or if u dnt want 2 do that
jus wear 1 of those long wristbands that go up 2 ur elbow
Quote by RCalisto

+1, pretty much the only post in here that doesn't suck. Dood_33 and miniindividual are both idiots, just skip over their posts.
Masterbate

Get a BJ from some random STD infected groupie

Where do these people come up with this stuff?

The next two post are going to read.

"Take a hit of Crack" and

"Start selling kidnapped babies on Craigs List"

To relax, you need to massage your forearms as RC said, also if you can't really practice before a show, I don't know how much talking you do and hyping up the crowd in the early stages of the concert. But you can just turn the volume down, and play some background tunes why you do you opening stuff. Of course if you just start playing right off the bat, then forget that.

I also second the wristband thing. I need to find one myself. I don't want a dumb looking one you know, hard to find a good one.

_________

_________

Patrick
4jacks
email
Quote by Dood_33
yea masterbateing rlly does realive stress
or u can jus get like a bj 4rm a roadie or sumthing
but dnt get 2 relaxed, cuz then ur not ganna wanna play
as for the arm sticking 2 ur guitar
wear ur guitar lower or if u dnt want 2 do that
jus wear 1 of those long wristbands that go up 2 ur elbow

WHAT? You don't save that much time typing like that, seriously.

But yeah, some type of clothing would be the best for your sweaty problem. As for being tense, it's normal for people to be when they are nervous. It should go away after time.