Recently, my Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies have been sounding like someone trying to punch through a wall.

I'm in need of new strings, and I usually play in drop C tuning, so I need a little thicker gauge.

I was looking at these:

Rotosound Billy Sheehan Signature

and

Dean Markley Blue Steel

Anyone have experience with these? Would the gauge on either be able to handle drop C well? Please help answer these questions. Please...thank you.

Quote by 6-string-yay-2
i hate buying bass strings there almost 5 times the price of guitar strings where i live

As do I, that's why I'm asking about some of the apparently great strings under $20.
A good rule of thumb when it comes to drop tuning and string gauge is to add .005 to each string for every step (or half step if you like a bit more tension). On the subject of signiture strings, I think they're a waste of time as they tend be custom gauges. In this case, Billy Sheehan tends to keep in standard or drop D, which means that his string gauge may not be particularly useful for you. But it's completely subjective I'm afraid.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A good rule of thumb when it comes to drop tuning and string gauge is to add .005 to each string for every step (or half step if you like a bit more tension). On the subject of signiture strings, I think they're a waste of time as they tend be custom gauges. In this case, Billy Sheehan tends to keep in standard or drop D, which means that his string gauge may not be particularly useful for you. But it's completely subjective I'm afraid.

is that for guitar or bass cuz i think theres probably a difference

hey btw do u guys recomend boiling ur strings? mine dont need replaced but id like to clean them up a bit
any one ever tried it?
Quote by 6-string-yay-2
is that for guitar or bass cuz i think theres probably a difference

hey btw do u guys recomend boiling ur strings? mine dont need replaced but id like to clean them up a bit
any one ever tried it?

Hmmm... let's see... bass forum... of course I'm talking about bass strings.

Who's 6-string-yay btw?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Hmmm... let's see... bass forum... of course I'm talking about bass strings.

Who's 6-string-yay btw?

i am 6-string-yay #2

and well.. u never know :|

and no don i dont, sorry
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Not to be a string-newbie, but what would a "standard" set of strings be gauged at
(or is that in the FAQ?)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Not to be a string-newbie, but what would a "standard" set of strings be gauged at
(or is that in the FAQ?)

I regard the gauges in the ernie ball slinky set as "standard" gauges- 45, 65, 80, 100. Other people will have different views on that though.
Quote by DonWeaso
Any suggestions for a low-price string with a .115 gauge E?

Take a look at GHS Bass Boomers I've currently got my bass setup with the heavy gauge set (.50 .70 .95 .115) plus they shouldn't set you back too much coin.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by oz_bassist
Take a look at GHS Bass Boomers I've currently got my bass setup with the heavy gauge set (.50 .70 .95 .115) plus they shouldn't set you back too much coin.

Taken into consideration.

How long do they tend to last? (how long have you had your's?)
my standard gauge strings(Rotosound Swing 66 RS66LD) are 45-65-80-105.
i'm no expert but can't you cover drop C, from a drop D tuning?

http://www.rotosound.com/
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by DonWeaso
Taken into consideration.

How long do they tend to last? (how long have you had your's?)

Ive had mine on my bass for a couple months and they still seem they're going strong

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by Deliriumbassist
On the subject of signiture strings, I think they're a waste of time as they tend be custom gauges.
xz

What? I love my marcus miller signitures...
although i hardly play drop D, let alone drop C so yeah might be an issue for this person
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
my standard gauge strings(Rotosound Swing 66 RS66LD) are 45-65-80-105.
i'm no expert but can't you cover drop C, from a drop D tuning?

http://www.rotosound.com/

You could potentially cover drop D from a drop C tuning, but either way the answer is no. If you want to pedal a D drop C just won't work.