As life would have it, I'm moving out soon and I'm not getting a glamorous job. I won't be able to buy myself tons of gear once I'm out of here, so that's why I'd like to get my amazing final set of gear now, when I can still toss money around fairly comfortably.

So, what am I looking for? Why, an Amplifier for guitar! The genres of music I play include but are not limited to: Everything. I have a large focus on Metal though, all sorts: Thrash, Death, Doom, blah blah etc. I love playing Blues though, and Jazz does mystical things to my genitalia. I also like to play some classic rock once in a while. Country's fun too! Basically, I need an amp that can do everything, but has a good focus on metal.

Now, before I get recommended a single Marshall: I like chunk. Fluid, liquid, molten steel like delicious chunk. I'm talking insane amounts of chunky chunk with a good, tight, heavy distortion that can kill unicorns and decimate the remainder of the world's rain forest. Well okay, that analogy might be a bit strong, but I really like John Petrucci's tone for example, though even still I'd like to tighten something like that up a bit.

Budget. My budget would be anywhere up to and around the long shot of two thousand dollars. I would prefer to keep it as low as possible, as I still want a nice pile of pedals.

So, some AMPs I've been looking at:

Traynor Custom Special 100 Watt Head: This AMP is apparantly insanely versatile, built insanely well, and can perform some of that distortion I'd like. It's not too expensive, in fact, it's at the lower end of my budget so to speak. Though I'm very swayed from getting as it seems to have too many features to be a serious AMP, as in, features that look like they would be on a practice/entry level amp only, ie: Headphone jack, Wattage selector, etc.

Peavey 6505+ 120 Watt Head: This bad ass can apparently do very nice distortion. I'm not sure if it's quite in the direction of the chunk I want, but from what I've listened of it it is quite nice anyways. I hear the cleans blow though, and that's a major issue for me. This is just a step up price wise from the Traynor, except it's not Canadian. BLAH!

ENGL PowerBall 100 Watt Head: Apparently has insane brutal distortion and very lively, crystaly resonating cleans. Jeff Loomis uses it, and I adore his tone. It's near the top of what I'd possibly be willing to shell out though.

Peavey JSX 120 Watt Head: This amp is used by the master himself, Joe Satch, ****, he even designed it. From what I have heard of it's distortion, it's quite smooth and delicious, and the cleans seem nice enough. Though I'm not sure it can deliver. Something about using someone else's gear also bothers me (I mean gear with their name on it).

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head Triple Channel 100 Watt Head: I know this can hit distortion. I know that well. I'm curious about it's cleans though, as most amps that shoot for metal ignore the cleans, and the versatility.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV(Maybe V?) Head: I know very little about this one, except that my main man Mr. Petrucci uses it, and I it apparantly does the BR00T4LZ very well.

That's basically my list.

I'd like to know your opinions on these amps (my most interested one is the Traynor, I'm kinda curious as to how it gets such amnazing reviews), how versatile they are (their chunk, their light crunch, their cleans) and just how good they are over all.

As for the getting the sound incredibly tight, I realize that can be helped somewhat with a compressor, but that's the other part of my "final gear" crusade here in my other thread, which will be posted later on...

Anyways, thanks a ton for reading all this if you did, if you didn't, why bother posting?

Love and thanks,

Crushed Can
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
Mark IV and Dual rectos are both good choices. Powerballs are supposed to be extremely versatile. The JSX doesn't have good rhythm (metal) tones according to some people. Haven't heard the Traynor. As far as the 6505 goes, you may want to be wary of the cleans, I hear they suck.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Mark IV and Dual rectos are both good choices. Powerballs are supposed to be extremely versatile. The JSX doesn't have good rhythm (metal) tones according to some people. Haven't heard the Traynor. As far as the 6505 goes, you may want to be wary of the cleans, I hear they suck.

My main issue with the Mesas is that I cannot try them. The rest I can. I just have to go on a bit of a mission so I'd like to make a list of everything to try/get at before I go.

I'm very much liking the powerball right now though.
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by CrushedCan
My main issue with the Mesas is that I cannot try them. The rest I can. I just have to go on a bit of a mission so I'd like to make a list of everything to try/get at before I go.

I'm very much liking the powerball right now though.

Indeed. ENGL makes godly amps. There's a clip of the recto, mark iv and jsx at: http://ugclips.dmusic.com

I REALLY liked the Mark IV. It was brutal.
If you can try one out, I think a good amp in your situation would be a Randall module head. If you find a 3-channel head for your budget, you can get a good module for Metal, one for jazz, and one for blues. I know theres a George Lynch sig module, and you can change out the preamp tubes on em if you want.
Quote by qotsa1998
If you can try one out, I think a good amp in your situation would be a Randall module head. If you find a 3-channel head for your budget, you can get a good module for Metal, one for jazz, and one for blues. I know theres a George Lynch sig module, and you can change out the preamp tubes on em if you want.

Sounds like a massive gimmick.
Blackstar HT-5

If you want to do anything that isn't metal ever stay away from the 6505.

Instead of the JSX try the XXX, it's peaveys recto.

The mesas are renowned for their versatility, but I strongly suggest doing whatever you have to to try them out first.

I've never tried the powerball.

The headphones out and wattage selector on the traynor are actually higher end features since tube amps require built in attenuators for headphones outs and extra circuitry for wattage selectors. I've only ever played a YCV50 blue, but that was a good amp that had great cleans and it's distortion was good for anything from heavy blues all the way to classic metal. I'm sure it would do modern stuff with an OD in front pushing it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you want to do anything that isn't metal ever stay away from the 6505.

Instead of the JSX try the XXX, it's peaveys recto.

The mesas are renowned for their versatility, but I strongly suggest doing whatever you have to to try them out first.

I've never tried the powerball.

The headphones out and wattage selector on the traynor are actually higher end features since tube amps require built in attenuators for headphones outs and extra circuitry for wattage selectors. I've only ever played a YCV50 blue, but that was a good amp that had great cleans and it's distortion was good for anything from heavy blues all the way to classic metal. I'm sure it would do modern stuff with an OD in front pushing it.

Gonna snoop around and see if I can find those Mesas, and the Trynor head is meant to be the more 'brootal' brother of the Combo models, but stil retains it's cleans/crunch, which is why I'm so interested. And you pointin out the fact that the headphones is a high end feature makes me even more interested. I'm gonna try this beast asap. It looks very solid.
Blackstar HT-5

Funny read and did everything right in it. +1 to you!

I'd say, out of those choices, the Mark IV or Powerball would be your best option for what you want.

Don't be afraid to look used, save yourself some cash! Powerballs can be found in the $1500 range, Mark IVs in the $1200 range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Funny read and did everything right in it. +1 to you!

I'd say, out of those choices, the Mark IV or Powerball would be your best option for what you want.

Don't be afraid to look used, save yourself some cash! Powerballs can be found in the $1500 range, Mark IVs in the $1200 range.

Why thanks sir, I try to make my posts somewhat entertaining, especially this ghastly long read.

I'm very much digging the Powerball and Mark IV's right now actually, I raelly need try em out though, those and the Traynor. Peavey's are basically out of the question.
Blackstar HT-5

I enjoy my Mark IV, great amp, I'd like to keep it, but it needs to go for the 5150 III unfortunately.

My main problems with it are:

Clean channel is too warm sounding for my tastes, I noticed it got much better with more brighter sounding pickups, which means that the amp and pickups really matter.

R2 is the weakest channel of them all. It's capable of some good classic rock and 80s rock tones with an OD, but without it, it's unusable for me.

The lead channel is very nice though, with the Graphic EQ kicked in it gets even better. Pure metal devastation if you want it to be!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I enjoy my Mark IV, great amp, I'd like to keep it, but it needs to go for the 5150 III unfortunately.

My main problems with it are:

Clean channel is too warm sounding for my tastes, I noticed it got much better with more brighter sounding pickups, which means that the amp and pickups really matter.

R2 is the weakest channel of them all. It's capable of some good classic rock and 80s rock tones with an OD, but without it, it's unusable for me.

The lead channel is very nice though, with the Graphic EQ kicked in it gets even better. Pure metal devastation if you want it to be!

I completely forgot about the 5150 III! ODIN'S BALLS!!! Is it more American voiced, or British? (Chunk vs Crunch?) Gonna have to do some more research...I was actually kinda hoping for a less warm clean so that it can do a buncha stuff and a good OD (Maxon ftw) would boost it to the warms.
Blackstar HT-5

Quote by CrushedCan
I completely forgot about the 5150 III! ODIN'S BALLS!!! Is it more American voiced, or British? (Chunk vs Crunch?) Gonna have to do some more research...I was actually kinda hoping for a less warm clean so that it can do a buncha stuff and a good OD (Maxon ftw) would boost it to the warms.

American voiced, it's got 6L6's as power tubes.
Really diggin' what I've seen of the Powerball so far, still interested in the Traynor too, if you guys have any tips/whatever, I'm all ears.
Blackstar HT-5

Just a heads up, guy I bought my Mark IV is selling a Powerball over on HC right now for $1700 with the Z5 footswitch. He's a great guy and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again, plus I know where he lives so if he screws you over (which he won't) I can go mess him up for you
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Just a heads up, guy I bought my Mark IV is selling a Powerball over on HC right now for $1700 with the Z5 footswitch. He's a great guy and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again, plus I know where he lives so if he screws you over (which he won't) I can go mess him up for you

I'm just trying to figure out what to get right now so i can make a massive move out shopping list (of mayhem). I currently have about 75 cents and a subway token and about 9 high school student bus tickets, otherwise I'm broke till Friday.
Blackstar HT-5

Crushed Can, a little off topic, but I bet that Agile you have is pure sex. Great thread, but MatrixClaw is on his game so I can't add any insights, he's got you covered. Plus one on the traynor. Good luck.
Quote by gregs1020
Crushed Can, a little off topic, but I bet that Agile you have is pure sex. Great thread, but MatrixClaw is on his game so I can't add any insights, he's got you covered. Plus one on the traynor. Good luck.

It's pretty awesome. I wanna change the tuners though, and the guts, and the pups. It's more of an upgrade than a "without these upgrades it's ****". It's an awesome guitar as it is. Feels awesome, sounds pretty awesome, but I'm a total upgrade freak, thus, it must be morphed!

Though, my final set up will have a Schecter C-7 HellRaiser Floyd Rose

As to the AMP, ya he does. I just chekced with a local store today, they carry ENGLs, but not Traynors, the Traynor shop is a decent distance away. Gonna check em out probably tuesday. But more advice = wanted!
Blackstar HT-5