Page 1 of 2
I have been playing bass guitar for nearly 7 months now and before starting I already had a strong habit of cracking my fingers. My father says that musicians that play stringed instruments should not crack their fingers, but I don't know how much of this is true. Can it actually be detrimental to my playing ability or to my health at all to crack my fingers as a bass player?
I realized I was god when I prayed and saw that I was talking to myself.
It doesn't matter. It's just air pockets or something bursting. A chiropractor told me this, so I'm pretty sure it's reliable. It shouldn't have any bad effects.
All your base are belong to us.
ive been told the same thing, that it was bad for finger joints and all that, but when i asked my physician about it he said it was basically just a myth and that it does nothing bad. i have the habit of crackin my knuckles all the time and cannot stop >.<
Quote by Swat Man
if you get an MG you support terrorism
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
It's just air pockets or something bursting.

That. It's like popping bubble wrap, thats the noise, it wont give you arthritis. I've cracking my fingers for years and nothing is wrong with my fingers(hell i even crack my toes). It's like one of those things parents would tell kids to scare them out of doing it.
If I were to make a list of things musicians do that they shouldn't, doubtful if knuckle cracking would be on that list. I mean, take Nikki Sixx for an example. I read his book, the Heroin Diaries. All these crazy things... he even uses a Gibson Thunderbird!

But seriously, I crack my knuckles all the time. Like someone else said, it's just gas buildup.

EDIT: I even crack my knuckes in two places. And my toes, and my back and neck. Yeah, OK, maybe I do need help.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 9, 2008,
i hope it doesnt have negative effects b/c ive been cracking my knuckles for almost 10+ years
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
cracking your joints is like biting your nails. just a nasty habit. i stopped years ago, but i really didn't make a descision about it, i just stopped. i didn't even think about it till now. oh yeah, cracking your joints now, will give you golf ball sized joints when you're old, so i've heard.

Edit: besides, if my body thinks i need a cushion of gas on my knuckles, maybe there's a reason.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
EDIT: I even crack my knuckes in two places. And my toes, and my back and neck. Yeah, OK, maybe I do need help.

I honestly don't know why, and I've even seen a chiropractor a few times, but it ****ing creeps me out when people crack their own necks. It just seems wrong.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Hergiswi
I honestly don't know why, and I've even seen a chiropractor a few times, but it ****ing creeps me out when people crack their own necks. It just seems wrong.

It's funny, last time I was at the studio, the engineer was sitting at the front staring at a computer screen, I was sitting a few feet behind him, and the rest of the band a few feet behind me. I did the mother of all neck cracks, maybe 8 audible clicks. It was wonderful. The rest of the band said stuff like "God, you're gonna die", and the engineer said "what, don't like the sound of cracking knuckles?" When I told him it was my neck, there was about 5 minutes of silence.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I do it a lot...it doesn't seem to have any ill-effects. There was a doctor who cracked the knuckles of his left hand a couple of times a day for 50 years and concluded that it made no difference.
The only time it ever bothers me is when I need to crack my fingers but can't get it to crack.
Quote by thefitz
If I were to make a list of things musicians do that they shouldn't, doubtful if knuckle cracking would be on that list. I mean, take Nikki Sixx for an example. I read his book, the Heroin Diaries. All these crazy things... he even uses a Gibson Thunderbird!

But seriously, I crack my knuckles all the time. Like someone else said, it's just gas buildup.

Crackheads anonymous?

I don't think it does anything bad. Feels great in the morning.
i crack my knuckles in 2 places, my neck, back, knees, and toes too, it helps my fingers be more agile at least.

been doing it for years, got problems in my wrist, never anywhere i crack
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Started doing it when I was about 12, I'm now 28. It's never effected anything I've ever done.
Yeah, good to know it's bs. I crack like every joint. I don't even need my hands to crack my neck anymore.

It's just pressure build-up.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
Yeah, good to know it's bs. I crack like every joint. I don't even need my hands to crack my neck anymore.

It's just pressure build-up.

Using your hands to crack your neck is bad, bad thing. You can easily over extend the tendons, and have one side of your neck temporarily useless. It's not a very pretty sight (I had a friend this happened to) but it does heal with time. If you can do it without using your hands (ie using just your neck muscles) your perfectly fine. It's the same with using a chair to crack your back or any other joint.

Joints I can crack:
All fingers (all three knuckles)
Both Thumbs (both joints)
Right pinky (where the joint connects near the wrist)
Both wrists
Left shoulder
Neck (in two different directions, head to the side and twisting)
Front joint of ribs
Ribs above shoulder blades
Back
Hip socket (right only)
Both knees
Both foot arches
Both outside joint of foot
Both joints on all toes

Jesus, that's a lot more than I thought.

And my girlfriend can crack her tail-bone... that one freaks me out.
Last edited by elemenohpee at Jul 13, 2008,
Quote by elemenohpee

I think I can do:

all fingers (just base joint mostly)
all toes
I can do my right big toe continuously
my thumbs
both sides of my neck (like 3-5 cracks each)
Back
My ribs pop out every once and a while, it's weird
shoulders
ankles
wrists
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I can crack mostly everything in my body (they have already been listed so why bother again?)

I find that when I crack my neck (all I do is swing my head either way quickly and at an angle) people are usually quite disturbed!
I don't need to whip my head, I just tilt it to a side and that generaly does the trick.
Quote by Pauldapro
People make me stop popping joints and such because I pop so many and they're quite loud....hasn't affected me at all....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
How many of you cracked your knuckles while/after reading this? I did.
Quote by KwikKopy
How many of you cracked your knuckles while/after reading this? I did.

I did to see if I could do it in all the places you guys listed. I couldn't
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I don't think we answered the threadstarter's question.

No, I don't think cracking your knuckles will help your playing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I frequently get a sore stiff index finger in my left hand playing for extended hours and cracking the knuckle loosens it up instantly. I've been doing that since 1986, no long term effects - positive or negative. Though the hand that I never crack my knuckles on did develop tendinitis - probably a coincidence.
its not gonna affect your playing at all, but you shouldnt do it alot cause u can seriously risk arthritis later in your life- then it would effect your playing if ur planning on playing when your older
I used to crack my knuckles and it seemed that over time my knuckles got bigger.

As an example, as I was ordering my class ring almost two years ago, I measured in at a ring sized 10.5.

The ring finally came, and it was very hard to put on or remove because my knuckles had grown a full size over the time in took, and I cracked my fingers constantly as a habitual thing that I just couldn't shake.

Around 8 months ago I stopped the habit of popping my fingers, and now my class ring falls off of my ring finger, I discovered this as I was to wear it to prom, and while I walked with the ring on my finger before the grand march it moved around on my finger a lot, kind of like the feeling you get when you jump around in boxers and feel your nutsack slap your leg.

So I don't know if it was just me, but just some food for thought there.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
Quote by elemenohpee

That is a tad disturbing.. how do you even figure out that you can do that??

but yea i crack my toes and fingers and such all the time, since i realized they could crack pretty much, and I've yet to have ANY problems what-so-ever
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
I've noticed that after really jamming for a while, I'll be able to crack every knuckle in my fingers. And my back, depending on whether or not I was sitting down or standing up at the time, lol.
Whit abound in this signature
anyone cracks their back/neck during sex? you get really interesting responces.
i was playing thumbwar wtih someone years ago and i cracked my thumb and told the other guy that he broke it. he hasnt spoken to me ever since.
There are various kinds of music. Music can make a connection between human being and god. It can give us peace for the mind.
============================================================
Harry
http://
Last edited by harry2008 at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^don't spam

TBH I think it's a Spam Bot
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You tell those bots, Del!

I've always cracked my knuckles. It helps when my fingers are feeling stiff, and it makes sense that unstiff fingers = better playing. Though I don't think the act alone gives you any benefits nor has detrimental effects.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Hey, Dinky!!! Yeah, Ben has been dealing with the attack of the spam bots the last two days, which are not quite as rewarding as banning trolls, but decent practice, lol.

Anyhow, I know its a nasty habit but I tend to crack my fingers when I stretch them either before playing when taking a break from typing. Its one of those cases of 'no harm, no foul'. But it feels good.

And cracking your tail bone is not that hard btw....
Page 1 of 2