I saw a tab where it said to use a f chord that wasn't in the traditional fingering with the root on the first fret of the e strings. Here it is:

I assumed that I should bar my first finger across the 8th fret, and then bar my third finger across the 10th, while trying not to mute the high e, which is hard to do. Do I have the right idea for this chord, or is there another way to finger this?

btw, this is for the song "Miss You" by the rolling stones, if it helps...
This is an F/C chord. That means it's an F chord with a C as the bass note. Now, don't worry too much about hitting that C on the 8th fret of the high E (unless it really sticks out in the song) because that is the 5th of F and i don't think having 2 5s as the lowest and highest notes is that nice when you only have 2 Fs in the middle registers.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
well

x

Is a F major. There are multiple places to play chords all along the fretboard for example.

E 1 8 5
B 1 10 6
G 2 10 5
D 3 10 3
A 3 8
E 1 x

All of those are F Majors, and by flatting certain notes (the 3rd) you can get F minor

E 1 8 (4)
B 1 (9) 6
G (1) 10 5
D 3 10 3
A 3 8
E 1

I put the 3rds in parenthesis (a 3rd is the 3rd note in the major scale [F Major Scale: F G (A) Bb C D E F]

I hope this helps, and i know i went a little overboard and went beyond your question, but im just trying to help expand your knowledge a little bit.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
^Hint: Code tags are your friend.

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Cold Flame44
I saw a tab where it said to use a f chord that wasn't in the traditional fingering with the root on the first fret of the e strings. Here it is:

I assumed that I should bar my first finger across the 8th fret, and then bar my third finger across the 10th, while trying not to mute the high e, which is hard to do. Do I have the right idea for this chord, or is there another way to finger this?

Someone else pointed out that this isn't usually played with the 5th in the bass. It might be in the song you are looking at though- it might be an important part of the bass movement.

You can play this with both a first and a third finger barre, and sound the note on the high E, if you bend the 3rd finger a bit. I don't though, as I always found that painful. I usually play this chord just on the inner strings, muting the high E string (note that it is just doubling the 5th that you are already playing on the D string). If I need the high E string note as a melody note I tend to finger this using the first second third and fourth fingers for the 5th 4th 3rd and 2nd strings.