So tell me if I have this correct.

The chord for E is...

So by barring the first fret and playing that chord shape one fret higher, I create an F chord? This is because by barring that first fret I raise the guitar one half step, and then play the E chord shape, resulting in an F chord? And this works all the way up the neck?
PM me if you want to talk about the Red Hot Chili Peppers or hip-hop.
yes and by playing e minor makes the barring situation, f minor and f# minor and so forth

but if u bar on the a string a play and a major then move it up one fret this would create A# major, and having the a minor shape would create A# minor
Yes, yes, and yes.

Good job mate

If you want to turn that major barre chord shape into a minor barre chord, lift your middle finger off the G string and you'll get a shape like this:

Fminor

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I also noticed playing a barre chord results in a power chord on the EAD strings. Any songs use a combination of both?
Yes, you are correct.

As a suggestion, try learning the CAGED system and how it applies to chords. It can be very useful later on when you want to play in a set position but don't want to constantly be moving up and down the neck.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by nieschizzle
So tell me if I have this correct.

The chord for E is...

So by barring the first fret and playing that chord shape one fret higher, I create an F chord? This is because by barring that first fret I raise the guitar one half step, and then play the E chord shape, resulting in an F chord? And this works all the way up the neck?

Yes, exactly. You can do this with any open chord shape, assuming you can finger it. Your barre finger works like a movable nut (insert Beavis sounds here).

Here's a couple of tips on playing them, now that you've figured them out (maybe not a big deal on an electric, but important on acoustics and nylon string instruments):

First, to make a good full barre you need to get the knuckle of the barreing finger in front of the fingerboard. Concentrate on keeping your knuckle up (cue Beavis again).

Second, the force that holds the strings down should not come from the thumb. It should come from the weight of the arm. You should be able to play full barres with your LH thumb not touching the guitar.

Third, you should only press as hard as you need to. The corollary is that you should be able to hold down only certain notes in a full barre, when they are the only ones that sound. That takes some practice but it's important if you want to spare your LH in long pieces with lots of barres.

Congratulations: you've learned to move chord shapes around, and that is a key idea in playing guitar.
Cool
= ]
Thanks everyone!