I've been playing for about 4 years now and i've never had a lesson. I consider myself pretty good, but for some reason at some points i think "god i suck". I think it's just cuz im not only self-conscious of my guitar playing but also in myself in general. I usually play punk stuff which isn't that complicated so i don't play fast arpeggios and stuff like that but i can play other stuff. I can play solos but whenever i read tabs for solos that are complicated i get bored and stop trying. But yeah, I mean sometimes I just don't feel confident in my playing but I wonder if lessons would actually help cuz when I think of guitar lessons i just picture some guy saying "Now this is the D chord....."

I'm just thinking should I do it or is it a waste of time?
I think lessons could be very beneficial to the intermediate guitarist, I think it could help steer you on a more consistent course towards where you want to go as a musician.

Of course I have nothing to back this up, just kind of a gut feeling.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
lol, i play fast sweeps cleanly, im fairly good for 4 years and i think the same thing to learn theory, thinking about a jazz teacher too
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Yes, and lessons can be far more than what you're imagining. They can do many things for your playing and knowledge of music.

Consider this: Steve Vai went and got some lessons from Joe Satriani...

As ZeBubba said, nuff said.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
i've been playing for 6 years and i just decided to take lessons and after one month, they've helped so much. you just have to tell your teacher what you want to work on.

EDIT: BTW, I take lessons from a professional jazz player
You might be good but you could always be more consistent, find a teacher that will actually be able to teach you somethin' though, no use just learning songs, you need theory too.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by BluMetalPlayer
get a good jazz teacher

exactly

/thread.

oh, EDIT:

Make sure your teacher is CLASSICALLY TRAINED. Ask specifically for that. That means they've gotten a degree in guitar, and they'll teach you in that style. That doesn't mean they're necessarily gonna teach you classical though, but they'll teach you proper technique. And all of guitar stems from technique.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Last edited by cashewchaching at Jul 10, 2008,
always room for more learning. go for it man.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Why is it that whenever i hear about people taking lessons it's always from jazz musicians? Aren't there normal teachers who know that I don't want to play jazz or classical? I mean I know that a lot of modern guitar stuff derives from jazz and classical but that's not really the kind of stuff i'm into. Although sometimes when I'm just playing random stuff on guitar alot of the stuff i end up playing sounds kinda blues-ey cuz I recently learned how to incorporate bending, hammer ons, pull off's, etc.. But that's just stuff i'm playing while i'm just f***ing around.

I know they are important but why is it always jazz musicians who are recommended for teachers?
Lessons never hurt. go for it.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
i have a similar problem i ain't been playing a few months, my fingers are pretty quick, but one mention of the words capo, mode, or arpeggio, and i'm lost as a goose
^ loose as a goose was the proper saying, and i'm not sure how exactly that applies to this thread
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
No, you're Godly enough as it is, I mean, you didn't need to post a video to back up your claims! You must be good!

Just get lessons, they will benefit you greatly if you get a good teacher, if the teacher's classically trained, even better, their ears and technique ****s on pretty much everyone else's
Its not like the teacher is going to teach you d chords when you have been playing for 4 years. He will teach you what your skill level is at.
Quote by Regulartrite
Why is it that whenever i hear about people taking lessons it's always from jazz musicians? Aren't there normal teachers who know that I don't want to play jazz or classical? I mean I know that a lot of modern guitar stuff derives from jazz and classical but that's not really the kind of stuff i'm into. Although sometimes when I'm just playing random stuff on guitar alot of the stuff i end up playing sounds kinda blues-ey cuz I recently learned how to incorporate bending, hammer ons, pull off's, etc.. But that's just stuff i'm playing while i'm just f***ing around.

I know they are important but why is it always jazz musicians who are recommended for teachers?

did'nt you just answer your own question?

clips! or it didn't happen...

BTW - Jazz is pretty technical and incorporates lots of styles and time changes...but i guess you already knew that.