im so danm sick of my amp ****ing up for every possible reason.

what is the most reliable amp brand?
What are you using currently? It's hard to say what the 'most' or 'best' of anything is.
a 60's fender twin reverb.

its top volume is different everyday depending on weather it wants to be the amp of my dreams or my worst nightmare.

gigging regulary now and dont wanna have it **** up half way through a set.
Well it sounds as if you genuinely like some aspects of it - have you had it checked by any techs? And the volume lends me to believe it's a problem with you tubes, have you always had this problem or is it specific to the current tubes?

edit: whoa - my mistake, I see you're using a 60's fender...at that age I suppose it could be any number of things.

You'd probably need to have the caps and resistors checked and possibly replaced but once that's done you should have a solid amp. Guys are still gigging with their original TR's today, they've just been maintained, it sounds to me like this may be a solution to your problem
Last edited by guitar/bass76 at Jul 10, 2008,
Yeah, just have it gone over by a good tech. That's a pretty sweet amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
yeh, it is great. when it works.

the reliablity thing is the issue tho.

it got new valves (again) not long ago.

new speakers at the start of the year.

and i'm playing a bit more heavier stuff. so it would be nice to get a hi-gain amp. i would keep the twin. its just seems silly, having this great clean tone, hidden behind the distortion.

are tube amps more reliable because they dont have electronics to get ****ed, or are ss's more reliable cause they dont need valve jobs done?

im thinking marshal, mesa ($$$$$), or orange. are any of theese known to have **** reliablity?

i know the mg is known to not only have horrible tone, but **** up after not too long
it's kinda in-between. High end Solid states can be very reliable, but when they break or something happens, generally you would have to buy another amp, or spend **** loads for repair. As with tubes, the only real maintenance is a some new tubes every year or two. And if something goes wrong, It's not to hard to try and fix (most of the time)
Well, probably anything newer will be more reliable. were not just talking about the guts now, but also a better then 40 year old cabinet. if your starting to play heavier stuff it may be time to retire it or at least keeping it around to play things it may still be suitable for. Gonna have to be your call on that one. SS amps are considered to be more reliable and maintenance free, but to my ear it just isn't worth it. It's tubes for me from now on. I don't care what the maintenance issues are.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
if you play metal, a peavey 5150 is a good deal. ive heard storied of these things being burned, have beer poured on them, thrown down stairs, and never had any problems
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
American made, all tube, P E A V E Y amps.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by InanezGuitars44
if you play metal, a peavey 5150 is a good deal. ive heard storied of these things being burned, have beer poured on them, thrown down stairs, and never had any problems

+1

I know a lot of people who have dropped them down concrete steps or knocked them off the back of 4 foot+ stages and they worked just fine afterward.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Peavey's tend to be built like tanks, and the combination of a 5150's brutal distortion AB'd with the godly cleans of a Twin would be pretty damn special.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com