Well I love almost all types of music, from classic rock to heavy metal.. My budget is about $500. I have been looking at a couple Schecters (c-1, damien special), and a few strats among others.

Hopefully someone could offer some helpful advice on one of the above guitars or even one that I havent mentioned. Thanks in advance.
I have an Epiphone Les paul and it has proven to be quite versitile and durable for what a payed for it
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
from that angle you look like my girfriend.
don't get a cheap schechter. while the more expensive models (upwards of 500 bucks) are great buys, the cheaper ones (below 500 bucks) are notorious for being not very good.
Dont get a Damien Special. Bolt on necks suck.
Something with a set neck and versital pickups.
Les Pauls And SGs are good for most things. Just make sure if you get an epiphone get the highest series possible.

also try your local craiglist. you could get a used guitar in good condition for pretty cheap.

Btw, what amp do you have?
Quote by JessicaGonzo
Les Pauls And SGs are good for most things. Just make sure if you get an epiphone get the highest series possible.

also try your local craiglist. you could get a used guitar in good condition for pretty cheap.

Okay so I guess I'll check craigslist and i have a line 6 spider III 15 wat. Not the best obviously but I like it, nice sounds from clean to metal. Good beginner/practice amp imo.
Quote by JessicaGonzo

Bolt ons don't suck, Wood on wood vibrates better than wood on blue on wood.
if you can find a fender heartfield on ebay it will bee well worth it. usually around 250-300 since theyre old. They were really high end in the early 90's and pwn. I got one for 315 with case and it is the best guitar ive ever played.
take a few minutes at your local (or nearest) music store and JUST try out some squiers, my squier california series kicks the ass out of my bro's fender american standard strat. just try one and see what you think, i fell in love and mabey you will too, but just try one at least
I've got a Schecter C-1 plus and I absolutely love it to death. Sounds great, feels great, and can handle any genre I care to throw at it. I think it'd be worth trying one out.
Quote by JessicaGonzo

Epi SG's suck ass, dun get one.
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
Quote by qu1cky

actually the Epiphone G-400 I played felt awesome to play.. the action on it was like Butter.. way better in my opinion than the Action on most Mexican Strats I played.. I contemplated on buying one after playing it.. of coarse there's no comparison between the two guitars tone-wise..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by qu1cky

disagree, i use to own a Gibson SG Standard and have checked out the Epi SGs, theyre nice ESP for the $!

but id get a Epi Les Paul, and i plan too
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Check out PRS SE. Sweet guitars. A little more expensive, but well worth it,

I agree.
Quote by Copilot911
Bolt ons don't suck, Wood on wood vibrates better than wood on blue on wood.

Eh i guess thats your take on it.
I think Bolt ons are decent, but with $500 you could do alot better.

Epi SGs are good guitars for the price.
They just have to be a G-400 or custom.
Quote by captain_jack
I've got a Schecter C-1 plus and I absolutely love it to death. Sounds great, feels great, and can handle any genre I care to throw at it. I think it'd be worth trying one out.

This or PRS SE
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
If you have any room to go for a higher price buy a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG's there about $700 but you could always find one used!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
if you want versatility for your musical tastes i reccomend an Epi LP.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
if you want versatility for your musical tastes i reccomend an Epi LP.

I agree here. It's a decent all around guitar and for $500 that's what you're going to get, decent. The G-400 looked good too.

Also, with all epi's you might want to try to pick out a specific one from a shop as their quality tends to be variable between individual units.
Check out the Agiles.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
Fender mexican standard stratocaster is what I'm using right now and its definately one of the best guitars I've used besides my dad's old Gibson les paul that he had to sell...
Quote by statefan0024
Okay I've gone long enough not knowing this, so I feel it is time to ask. What is the difference between a fat strat and a strat? Yes, I am a guitar noob.

And does anyone know how this schecter is? c-1 fr
http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expandedimage.aspx?t=4&img=Schecter/458290jpg.jpg

man, you realized you would get lots of varying answers with a thread start like that did't you? You really need to go play some stuff or at least hold some of these guitars to find out what feels best first. Then narrow down.

Fat Strat simply means it has a Humbucker in the Bridge position. Like HSS.

Without knowing anything else beside the fact that you asked about it I would say +1 to the $400 HSS Standard Strat.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by qu1cky

+1 I'm not really a huge fan of them. But you should play a bunch and then figure out what you want. I'm getting an Ibanez for about $500-$600 and its really nice. If you're going to go with an epi, I would probably pick a les paul. Someone in another thread was talking about getting a Fender Standard Strat for $400, if thats possible I would go for it
Every single Epi SG i have ever played has felt like garbage and sounded like garbage so i dont know what you guys are into
SUM LIKE IT LOUD
I LIKE IT LOUDER
Quote by woodenbandman
schecter c-1 + are great guitars and im sure you could find one in your budget especially if u look used....also look at some agile les pauls or used gibsons
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/