I just put a Fender Blues Jr. on layaway at my local guitar store, and I have been eyeing a Fender strat as my first real guitar to match the amp, but I can't decide between the Fender Deluxe Roadhouse strat with Texas Specials on it, or a Highway One with Alnico 3's on it.

Unfortunately, my local store only has the Highway One, so I can't test out how the Roadhouse would sound on my Blues Jr. If anyone has advice or opinions on which is better and which pickups sound better on the Blues Jr., I would appreciate it. Thanks.
what are your influences? i think srv used something similar to the texas specials in his strats and thats whats in his sig, so if you like blues and want to sound like him id go with teh roadhouse. other than that im not to shure about either of these. i have a mim strat
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
The Highway One is a nice guitar, but I found the pickups too hot. It's better for modern tones. If you want vintage sounds, go the Roadhouse (although ive never played one, but I have played the Texas Specials)

Good choice on the BJ
Alnico 3s - what is that?

Is that like this?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/smb4a_5a_3coil/

Also - i think the Deluxe Roadhouse is the way to go.

It's not on here but you can compare specs anyway to Roadhouse:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101934
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Roadhouse-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515525

OK, and the Roadhouse - only 'cause I had those web sites up anyway yo.
I'm really not sure which way to go on this. The Highway One is American made, and the one in the shop seems to be high quality, but I think I would prefer the Texas Specials since I am an SRV fan. Does anyone have any particular knowledge of how the different guitars sound with a Blues Jr.? Thanks everyone.
I don't.

And I thought my link up above had a HWY1 on it but it doesn't. Also, I believe the HWY1s still come with a nitro paint finish which will wear more quickly than a poly finish. Some people like that and some people don't. Sorry I can't help more on the TX specials. have you searched on Texas Specials on UG here?
I've tried out a SRV Signature, which comes with Texas Specials and they sound pretty nice. I still don't have the best ear, but the difference between specials and even stock pickups was not a huge deal to me. I am in the middle of making a similar decision, and I'm leaning towards a highway one. A big factor is gonna be the paint, so make sure you check out both nitro and poly paint jobs before you decide.
Quote by willis4
The Highway One is a nice guitar, but I found the pickups too hot. It's better for modern tones. If you want vintage sounds, go the Roadhouse (although ive never played one, but I have played the Texas Specials)

Good choice on the BJ

I always thought Texas Specials would be hotter.

Guess I'm wrong. Hmm.
Well....it looks like the DC Resistence on the Tex Specials is 6.5K which is low out-put in my mind.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0992111000

I didn't find anything on fender's site for Alnico 3 but that doesn't mean they don't exist for Strat guitars.
If you like SRV i'm sure you'd like the roadhouse.

i've played the roadhouse through a fender hot rod deluxe (the amp i have, basically a larger blues junior) and it sounds great. SRV tones are easily achievable.

GO FOR THE ROADHOUSE!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by WingedMan
I'm really not sure which way to go on this. The Highway One is American made, and the one in the shop seems to be high quality, but I think I would prefer the Texas Specials since I am an SRV fan. Does anyone have any particular knowledge of how the different guitars sound with a Blues Jr.? Thanks everyone.

well the H1 is overall better quality, but the other one has other kind of tone that you may like more
i would buy the H1 wich is more quality and then if dont like the sound i would just change the pups, and i will have a top quality guitar with the sound i love instead of a nice guitar with a great sound
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
just youtube em and see if there is a vid of em thats what i would do
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
You guys have basically just highlighted why it is hard for me to choose. Part of me wants the Roadhouse with the Texas Specials and the more durable but perhaps lower quality finish, while an equal part wants the high quality American made Highway One with the insanely large frets that make it so easy to play. I still have come no closer to a decision. Maybe I should just buy the H1 and put Vintage Noiseless on it? But thanks everyone for the hints and ideas.
Quote by WingedMan
You guys have basically just highlighted why it is hard for me to choose. Part of me wants the Roadhouse with the Texas Specials and the more durable but perhaps lower quality finish, while an equal part wants the high quality American made Highway One with the insanely large frets that make it so easy to play. I still have come no closer to a decision. Maybe I should just buy the H1 and put Vintage Noiseless on it? But thanks everyone for the hints and ideas.

go for the american model and put whatever pickups you want in it down the road. Thats what I did and I love it...make it exactly what you want. Stay away from mexico
I have the Roadhouse.

Love the pickups - hate the neck.

Someday I have to make a new neck for it.
ive just bought a Highway one tele and its lovely its jus a shame that i had to get it 150 off becos the owner dropped it on the floor the noob but the tele itself is lovely its my 1st single coil and the neck pup is great for blues and the bridge is good for rocky typea stuff so its all gravey, i would say the highway one though as i have played a fair few and only didnt like one
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs