I live in Denver, Colorado, 5280 above sea level:

1. Will a guitar soft case protect my acoustic Takamine GS330S in the mountains about 6000 ft. above sea level, whilst in a cabinl?
2. If yes, will it be able to withstand colder weather on the outside one day, and warmer weather on the following day?

3. Will a guitar hard case protect it?

I do have a humidifier that I have to wet and put on the soundhole.

Thanks!
Quote by Takamine916
I live in Denver, Colorado, 5280 above sea level:

1. Will a guitar soft case protect my acoustic Takamine GS330S in the mountains about 6000 ft. above sea level, whilst in a cabinl?
2. If yes, will it be able to withstand colder weather on the outside one day, and warmer weather on the following day?

3. Will a guitar hard case protect it?

I do have a humidifier that I have to wet and put on the soundhole.

Thanks!

These are pretty much unanswerable questions, but I'll take a stab:

A hard case will not protect a guitar _that_ much better than a soft case from cold if the guitar is in the cold for a long time. After a couple of hours the temperature will be the same inside either case (of course, the hard case is much better if the guitar is only in the cold for 15-30 minutes at a time). The main thing a hard case does if a guitar is in the cold for a while is slow down the warming, actually- the rate of temperature change is quite important. That's why you should never take a cold guitar out of the case immediately on entering a warm space.

On the other hand, a hard case is generally a lot better than a soft case for humidity, if you have a case humidifier. I don't imagine that the difference between 5300' and 6000' is that great though (and I used to live in Jeff county, at over 6000', so I have some idea what you're talking about). Even in Denver you might want to get a hard case with those little humidifier pots, but it's hard for me to imagine that going up 700 feet for a couple days is going to make a huge difference (but don't sue me if I'm wrong). I would worry more about the guitar's day to day existence at 5300 feet.

But, by all means keep the guitar out of the cold, and away from fires- it's hard to imagine something worse for a guitar than proximity to a smoky campfire on a cold night. And you might want to get a cheap acoustic for outings like this- I used to have a steel string I bought for $80.00 that I beat on for years, and it was very nice not worrying much about it. There are few guarantees with guitars- when I moved from NYC to Florida it took weeks for my nylon string to adjust properly. I was worried it wouldn't.
Quote by Wafflesomd
The only thing I can see happening is your guitar going out of tune.

I dunno about that. Temperature inversions are supposed to be very bad for your guitar.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I've taken my Alvarez with me to Minot ND numerous times. It goes from sunny Ohio to below freezing North Dakota just fine. The only thing I ever have to do is re-tune it.
Chances are, the temperatures will vary between 60-90, and she will be in a cabin most of the time; should I buy a hard case solely for this event? You mentioned that sitting by a camp fire and playing is definitely not good for the guitar...is it due to the heat waves from the fire?

Thank you VERY much for the replies, thus far.
Quote by Takamine916
Chances are, the temperatures will vary between 60-90, and she will be in a cabin most of the time; should I buy a hard case solely for this event? You mentioned that sitting by a camp fire and playing is definitely not good for the guitar...is it due to the heat waves from the fire?

Thank you VERY much for the replies, thus far.

60-90 is not that big a deal, IMHO. The main thing is to avoid sudden temperature changes. I wouldn't necessarily buy a hard case just for this trip, but it might be a good idea to get one if you care about the guitar. The guitar was probably made in a wetter climate than Denver, so it might be best to keep it humidified, and hard cases work better for that. They also really help when it comes to protecting the guitar- sooner or later a guitar you take around places is going to undergo some trauma if it's in a soft case.

And yeah, as for the fire, it's the direct radiant heat, and also the smoke. Not a big deal if you keep well back, but if you're right next to the fire it's probably not a good thing.