How do you pick the right notes to play in a sweep? I can sweep pick.. But I just don't know how to make a sweep or improvise one.. If you know what I mean?

This question could also be applied to string skipping.. I can do both techniques.. I just don't know how to pick notes that go well together.

Any advice? =)

Also, sorry if this doesn't make sense. it's 4AM and I just thought to post this on here. lol
What does picking notes have to do with advanced techniques? It's music theory. It's about knowing what chords you're playing over, knowing the sounds you want to make, and knowing how to play them on guitar.
You've put the horse before the cart here- if you don't know what notes you want to sweep, you don't need to sweep. Problem solved. The truth is that sweep picking is almost always a worse choice than alternate picking, _unless_ the only way you can play what you want is to sweep it. You have a lot more control over dynamics and phrasing with alternate picking.

The thing is that this should generally be true- you should not pick your notes to fit a technique. You should use a technique that allows you to play the notes you want. How do you know what notes to play when you're not sweeping? When you aren't string-skipping? I'm afraid that your answer is that you learned a scale...

I'll explain a couple of things you can sweep in a minute, but before that I'd like to suggest an exercise. Take some songs you like, that have vocals, and start playing their vocal melodies on guitar. Don't look at a transcription, and don't worry about how to pick them... just play them. When you can play any vocal melody you hear you will have gone a ways toward answering your question- that's how you know what to play.

As for sweeping, usually you sweep things that are vaguely chordal in nature- chords are built on 3rds, basically, and the guitar is tuned in 4ths, basically, so you can often get a simple triad to fall one note to a string, basically. Some people sweep long single chord arpeggios, from the 6th to the 1st string- Yngwie does that a lot, for instance. Other people use quick back and forth rakes on the top 3 or 4 strings that outline triads, or other chordal shapes. Of course, to know which chords to sweep, you have to know what harmony you're playing over.

But, as an example of a long sweep, you can play C on the 6th string at the 8th fret with the pinkie, then E on the 5th, G on the 4th, C on the third, E on the 2nd, then an upstroke to play a G also on the 2nd, and finally a C on the first. That is a two octave C triad. You can also tap a higher note with the right hand at the end- say the E at the 12th fret, and then pull off and sweep back down the whole thing. Boring, but it's a start.

Here's an interesting lick in 8th notes at the 5th position: Rake upward from the A on the first string to the F on the second to the D on the 3rd, then a downstroke to play a G on the second, then rake up again and play the E on the second, the C on the third, the A on the fourth, and then either resolve it to the D on the 3rd, or play the D flat and keep the line going. That is actually a pretty hip diatonic bebop phrase that is a lot easier to sweep than it is to alternate pick- the hard part is sweeping it with a swing feel and control of dynamics. Play it with a clean tone, and make sure you can accent any note in it- suddenly alternate picking looks more attractive .
^^ What that guy said...probably, I didn't read the whole thing but it seemed very helpful. The short answer would be to learn theory. It's not that complicated, expecially if you have the skills to see where the theory applies to actually playing.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join