14 14%
Epiphone
4 4%
Other
41 41%
Voters: 100.
Page 1 of 2
Westfield?!
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
pretty **** poll is it not =/, have you just started learning about guitar because when I got my first guitar that was the only makes I knew
Quote by SG thrasher
For me, Charvel.
Never knew they made guitars but i have some Charvel Picks
Quote by duality
pretty **** poll is it not =/, have you just started learning about guitar because when I got my first guitar that was the only makes I knew
no they are just the big makes at the moment
Quote by DIV ON!
Its a Poll

Really? I'd never have guessed...
ohai little sig.
Even tho i would love a Gibson id say epiphone because all ur paying 4000 on a gibson for is the headstock they both have great quality epiphone baby oh yeah feel the G's
Gretsch
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
use searchbar or GTFO noob, if you did, you would have found a hundred other threads like this that were closed

*reported*
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by Happy-Tom
Even tho i would love a Gibson id say epiphone because all ur paying 4000 on a gibson for is the headstock they both have great quality epiphone baby oh yeah feel the G's
good on you why pay more when gibson own epiphone
Quote by DIV ON!
good on you why pay more when gibson own epiphone

No matter what anybody says, an epiphone is not a gibson, if epiphone were as good a guitar gibson would actively make them worse, otherwise nobody would buy the expensive guitars
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
No matter what anybody says, an epiphone is not a gibson, if epiphone were as good a guitar gibson would actively make them worse, otherwise nobody would buy the expensive guitars

Not strictly true. My Epiphone is pretty much as good as my Gibson. And while you might "not care what anyone says", as an owner and player of both, I actually know what I'm talking about. So there.
Quote by Martin Scott
Not strictly true. My Epiphone is pretty much as good as my Gibson. And while you might "not care what anyone says", as an owner and player of both, I actually know what I'm talking about. So there.

snapple got owned...

... oh sorry . . . "pwned"
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
washburn
My Gear:
Washburn WI64
Fender CD-60

Quote by f22master
it is a tracking device so the aliens can find you and take you into their ship and do experiments on you!!!! DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

Quote by YourMessiah666
definitely sexy. all washburn guitars are sexy
and wtf is Westfield doing in the f*cking poll?
My Gear:
Washburn WI64
Fender CD-60

Quote by f22master
it is a tracking device so the aliens can find you and take you into their ship and do experiments on you!!!! DON'T TOUCH IT!!!

Quote by YourMessiah666
definitely sexy. all washburn guitars are sexy
Where the FUCK is Paul Reed Smith on this poll?
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Should be multiple choice.

So I'm not gonna vote.

Seriously, can't you have 2 favourite guitar companies?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Schecter all the way
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
a few more should have been added, ESP, Caparison, PRS, Schecter etc, all that beats westfield. I prefer ESP but I think its more a styled thing since I play alot of metal with it.
So where is Jackson, and ESP, and PRS, and Charvel, and Kramer, and Schecter, and Dean, and BC Rich.
PRS! bloody awesome.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by druz15_UG
snapple got owned...

... oh sorry . . . "pwned"

Well stick with your epiphone, ive played epiphones, i own a gibson, i know what im talking about, if you look at any of the reviews online they will tell you the same, apart from the gibson LP studio which can be more hit and miss

Just because you dont agree with me doesnt mean im wrong
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by jake_1234
No PRS option
*facepalm*

Quote by lefthandman9876
*facepalm*

I concur with both of these statements, so I too must add....

@ Snapple..

I don't agree, and I own both an Epiphone and a Gibson, and I'm telling you that the Epiphone is very, very near to the Gibson. Which, considering it cost less than one 10th of what the Gibson cost, is pretty embarrassing for Gibson. I know I know, you've got a Gibson and you want to be proud of it etc. Do so. I'm sure it's a lovely guitar. I'm just saying, for a fact (because I own both, and have played many of both that I don't own), that a good Epiphone is basically just as good, or near as dammit, as a Gibson. And I'm not talking about Studios. I'm talking about Standards and above. I'm simply not being biased like you are. It's understandable, you spent a lot of money on your Gibson, and you love it. You don't want to admit to yourself that you payed for the prestige and the name, and you could have gotten the same for much, much less. That's fine, I understand.

That holds no bearing on the facts, though. My Epiphone, which is very nice, stands pretty much shoulder to shoulder with my Gibson, which is also very nice, one of the nicer ones I've played in fact (though everyone always says that about their own one, it's true). I would go on stage with my Epiphone without any embarrassment at all. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of nasty, nasty Epiphones out there. There are. There's also a lot of really crap Gibsons, though. The fact of the matter is, Gibsons, while very nice, are nowhere near what they're cracked up to be, and a lot of the cheaper makes can be just as good.

I know this, because I am an owner of a premium £2,000 ($4,000) Gibson Les Paul Limited Edition (we're talking top of the line here, not one of your crappy Standards or Classics lol!), and a cheap £300 Epiphone Les Paul. I would never buy another Gibson, and it always makes me laugh when I hear people saying things like what you said- "No matter how close the copies get, there's nothing like the real thing" etc. I mean, I bet your Gibson isn't even anything special. I bet my Gibson absolutely creams yours, lol. I still respect the cheap copies though, and I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land.

Then you get some little fag with some £500 Gibson SG Special or something, saying things like what you said, being all elitist. It's just funny. I'd probably never buy another American-made instrument, be it a Fender, Gibson, PRS, whatever. The Japanese and Korean-made copies are the way to go.

Note: I'm aware that I sound elitist saying "I bet my Gibson absolutely creams yours", that's not how I meant it though. I was just pointing out that, even though I own an upper-end Gibson, I don't go round regurgitating all the elitist rubbish that a lot of Gibson owners do. I've played some very fine Epiphone LPs, some amazing Mexican Stratocasters, and some unbelievably good Tokais. You can go around believing Gibson are the be all and end all if you like, and that "there's nothing like the real thing" etc, but you're wrong. That's not my opinion, you are actually just wrong, for a fact. What is "the real thing" anyway lol? Gibson/Fender etc don't even make the real thing anymore, they're always changing the specs.

Don't be a chump, go out and buy a good guitar, not a name.
How did this turn into one of those Epiphone vs Gibson things?
Gibson>Epiphone.
Better woods, better hardware ect.
I beleive Epiphones aren't handmade either, correct?
The price difference is there for a reason. You're either don't know what you're talking about, partially deaf or just plain stupid if you think other wise. Yes, Ephi's are nice, some of them.. But any Gibby will pwn an Epiphone. Common sense.
Quote by caraluzzo
Gibson>Epiphone.
The price difference is there for a reason. You're either don't know what you're talking about, partially deaf or just plain stupid if you think other wise. Yes, Ephi's are nice, some of them.. But any Gibby will pwn an Epiphone. Common sense.

Common myth, not common sense.
Gibsons are made with much better wood, how would you call that a myth?
The same goes for alot of companies. ESP & LTD, USA Deans & import Deans, USA Jacksons & import Jacksons ect. The whole quality of the guitars are much different. I don't see how anybody could call that a myth.
Quote by caraluzzo
Gibson>Epiphone.

the price difference is there for the name on the headstock period. With some of the gibsons being produced lately i'd glady challenge your "any gibby will pwn an epi" remark.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by caraluzzo
Gibsons are made with much better wood, how would you call that a myth?
The same goes for alot of companies. ESP & LTD, USA Deans & import Deans, USA Jacksons & import Jacksons ect. The whole quality of the guitars are much different. I don't see how anybody could call that a myth.

The myth is that that stuff = better guitar. It doesn't, necessarily. They're made with more desirable grains etc. I don't see how an attractive grain effects tone in any way. Mahogany is mahogany, for example. My Gibson has a more attractively figured top than my Epiphone, they both weigh about as much (they're both really heavy, actually), the Gibson has better pickups, better frets, and that's about it. They both sustain really long, etc. All I'd have to do is get my Epi re-fretted, and put the Gibson electronics in it, and there'd be no difference (other than a slightly different 'feel', if you like). I'll note that when I say the pickups are 'better' etc, I'm talking slightly better. You have to be a very accomplished guitarist to notice. Most people just pick them up and go "Oh, yeah there's not actually much difference at all, is there?". If anything, my preference for my Gibson's pickups is probably because they're different. I have PAF copies in my Epiphone, and Burstbuckers in my Gibson. I simply prefer the Burstbuckers. Doesn't make them 'better', necessarily. Here's my two:

Here's a better one of my Limited Edition Gibson, showing the lovely top and finish a bit better (though still a pretty crap photo lol):

There's a lot of crap Epiphones out there,I'm just saying there's good ones too, and saying something like "You can't beat the real thing" is simply fanboyish, elitist nonsense. It's rubbish. Pure rubbish, regurgitated by snobby Gibson owners. Nothing more. I know what I'm saying is true for a fact, because I own both. I'm not biased. It's not like you have to look hard to find a bad Gibson, either.

Last edited by Martin Scott at Jul 11, 2008,
You may wanna look up the quality difference. Different woods have different tones, if you can hear it then that's cool, but it's a fact. No fanboy stuff here at all, I dislike Gibsons and Ephi's, but you saying that your only paying for the name on the headstock is complete crap. You owning both has nothing to do with wether or not they're different. I agree that Gibsons aren't what they use to be, but they still pwn Epiphones. I've come across one or two Epiphones that impress me every once and a while, but it's only impressing because the quality for the price. I've played many Gibsons too, and although all of them didn't seam worth what they go for, they still pwned the Epiphones. The mahogany they use on the Gibsons and Epiphones are different, wether you wanna beleive it or not. I have no idea wether or not it's 'real' mahogany on the Epiphones, but either way the quality of the peice of wood makes a huge difference. As I said before, it's like trying to say import dean are better than USA deans and ect.
Quote by caraluzzo
You may wanna look up the quality difference. Different woods have different tones, if you can hear it then that's cool, but it's a fact.

Yeah I knew that already. But if they use the same woods, just with less desirable grains etc, what difference does that make? It's only if they actually start using completely different species of wood that it would be an issue. Because, frankly, no two pieces of mahogany are the same, anyway, just like no two guitars are the same. You can take two identical Strats, and they'll sound different. What Im' saying is- assuming it's the right wood (just with a boring grain or whatever), who cares? It won't sound any different than any other two pieces of the same species of wood.

Quote by caraluzzo
No fanboy stuff here at all, I dislike Gibsons and Ephi's, but you saying that your only paying for the name on the headstock is complete crap. You owning both has nothing to do with wether or not they're different.

How does it have 'nothing to do with it' lol!? Unlike most people here on UG who have an opinion on the matter, I own both, and have directly compared both. So, surely, that has everything to do with what I'm saying, what we're debating here. It's completely and utterly relevant. I've known people who've never even touched a Gibson before to go around saying Gibson are the best, etc. It's rubbish. Copies can (I'm not saying "always" or even "usually" are) just as good. How can I say that with such assurance? I own a top of the range Gibson, and a very nice Epiphone, both of which I've compared in great detail. You're not in a position to be able to do that.

Quote by caraluzzo
I agree that Gibsons aren't what they use to be, but they still pwn Epiphones. I've come across one or two Epiphones that impress me every once and a while, but it's only impressing because the quality for the price. I've played many Gibsons too, and although all of them didn't seam worth what they go for, they still pwned the Epiphones. The mahogany they use on the Gibsons and Epiphones are different, wether you wanna beleive it or not. I have no idea wether or not it's 'real' mahogany on the Epiphones, but either way the quality of the peice of wood makes a huge difference. As I said before, it's like trying to say import dean are better than USA deans and ect.

Why does it matter where it came from? The piece of would does indeed make a huge difference, I never said it didn't. All I said that Gibson wood will be more exclusively attractive grains etc. If you got a piece of mahogany with a gorgeous grain, and a piece with a boring grain, they would sound no more different to each other than two gorgeous ones. Attractiveness does not effect tone. In any way. There's a lot of crap Epiphones. I don't disagree. But I'm telling you, they can be as good, sometimes (the older ones were better, my Epi is a Korean-made 2003 model, the current ones are made in China, and aren't as good). That's just Epiphone, too. There are many fine copies out there. Simply because they are copies doesn't automatically make them worse, as some would have you believe.

I've got a ****ing sweet Gibson, but I'm not so snobbish that I don't realise that, and I've get the experience and ownership of fine specimens from both brands to prove it, and back up what I'm saying. Which is completely relevant, and the crux of this matter, by the way.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Jul 11, 2008,
Page 1 of 2