Hey guys, I'm going to a music shop tomorrow (Website) and the brands they have that I think I'd be interested in are Framus, Hiwatt (not really sure about that though) and Hughes & Kettner. I'm definitely gonna try out a Cobra and a Hughes & Kettner Trilogy. With HiWatt I have no idea. I'm going for a metal sound, I want it to be thick and I want it to chug nicely. I want a Killswitch or Opeth type of tone, very thick with great chugs, which is why I'm trying the Cobra. At this stage, I want to get a Powerball, but the local shop that stocks them doesn't have any in and they don't know when they will, so I just wanna keep my options open cause I wanna buy an amp that I've tried before hand, so I think it's best to keep my options open. So suggest me some amps. Also, suggest me some amps that aren't mentioned that are under $3,000AUD in Australia or off of Thomann or other similar sites in Europe.
Personally I really like Hiwatt. They make really nice all tube 30W combos. But for metal? out of those brands you named Hughes and Kettener would probably be your best bet. If your budget is $3000 AUD try this place and look at the Marshall 1959SLP

www.bavasmusic.com.au
^ Nah dude, the Framus will pwn the HK, although its not a bad amp. For that sound though, the Cobra will certainly deliver
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I wouldn't know lol. I'd never heard of them but they have a boutique price tag so I assumed they'd be pretty versatile.
Try them out anyway, and you tell us.

EDIT: Wow, that store has some great amps. I'd like to get my hands on one of those Matchless amps.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Nah, the most distortion I've heard a Hiwatt get is about Who's Next-era and later Who.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I think that Hiwatts tend to be for low to medium gain rather than metal amounts of distortion. I would probably get the Framus out of ones that you mentioned. You could try and find some Mesas somewhere and possibly try some of the higher gain Orange amps.
If Hiwatts isn't "high gain," they need to take it out of their name. That's misleading.

EDIT: DUDE, it's on clearance right now. You'll thank me later. http://www.fivestarmusic.com.au/epages/whitelabel4.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/fivestarmusic/Products/%2271/MG100HDFX%22

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Last edited by TNfootballfan62 at Jul 10, 2008,
I tried to find clips for the high gain models but couldn't find any. The clips I saw of the other Hiwatts suggested that the highest gain that they got up to is around AC/DC levels. I would just try it though.
What kinda Oranges do you think? And Mesa in Australia is a joke. Um but yeah, I'm just testing these amps to keep my options open, so far I'm pretty deadset on a Powerball, but I just wanna try some amps in the same price range that could be as good and cheaper or as expensive but better. I'll try out all the amps I can but I just want you to suggest some good alternative to an ENGL Powerball, cause so far the ENGL seems pretty much perfect for me.

EDIT: At that MG comment....

Quote by TNfootballfan62
If Hiwatts isn't "high gain," they need to take it out of their name. That's misleading.

EDIT: DUDE, it's on clearance right now. You'll thank me later. http://www.fivestarmusic.com.au/epages/whitelabel4.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/fivestarmusic/Products/%2271/MG100HDFX%22

LOLOLOLOL
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by digger35
What kinda Oranges do you think? And Mesa in Australia is a joke. Um but yeah, I'm just testing these amps to keep my options open, so far I'm pretty deadset on a Powerball, but I just wanna try some amps in the same price range that could be as good and cheaper or as expensive but better. I'll try out all the amps I can but I just want you to suggest some good alternative to an ENGL Powerball, cause so far the ENGL seems pretty much perfect for me.

EDIT: At that MG comment....

The Thunderverb and Rockerverb.
Maybe a Laney VH100, same as the GH but with 2 channels (Opeth use these amps) and with a re tube they can get pretty damn brootal!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Long story short, I tried out a Framus Dragon, a H&K Switchblade and Trilogy and also an Orange Rocker 30. I thought the Dragon was much too fizzy for my tastes, but I probably EQ'd it wrong. I didn't care for it much. The Switchblade was overly compressed IMO and I didn't like the idea of it having digital effects on board. The Rocker 30 was absolutely stunning with it's clean tones and bluesy overdrive and with the gain dimed it got a nice British crunch, although that wasn't what I was looking for, I still liked it, maybe a future amp The Trilogy... well I bought it straight up. It was KILLER. The cleans were sparkly and you could really get a spankin' tone when you hit the strings hard. The crunch channel provided a real good crunch that could give you some fantastic classic rock tones and with the boost engaged it really nailed the ACDC tone. The lead channel had massive ammounts of gain and it was very smooth, not fizzy at all, like the Framus. It chugged like a beast and with the ultra lead engaged it was even better. I can't see any downfalls with this amp, compared to the Powerball I was planning on getting I think it's a much better buy, more versatile and no shared EQs. The MIDI capabilites are a great thing too, enabling you to store up to 128 presets with a MIDI footswitch (not included with the amp though ). All in all, I pick it up on Monday/Tuesday, but my mum won't let me play it until my birthday in September It's alright though cause I have to test my cab out and I don't particularly want to test it out with my brand new tube head lol. I need to buy an ohm meter just to be on the safe side. So yes, I'm soon to be the proud owned of a Hughed & Kettner Trilogy amp. I couldn't be happier
Quote by digger35
Long story short, I tried out a Framus Dragon, a H&K Switchblade and Trilogy and also an Orange Rocker 30. I thought the Dragon was much too fizzy for my tastes, but I probably EQ'd it wrong. I didn't care for it much. The Switchblade was overly compressed IMO and I didn't like the idea of it having digital effects on board. The Rocker 30 was absolutely stunning with it's clean tones and bluesy overdrive and with the gain dimed it got a nice British crunch, although that wasn't what I was looking for, I still liked it, maybe a future amp The Trilogy... well I bought it straight up. It was KILLER. The cleans were sparkly and you could really get a spankin' tone when you hit the strings hard. The crunch channel provided a real good crunch that could give you some fantastic classic rock tones and with the boost engaged it really nailed the ACDC tone. The lead channel had massive ammounts of gain and it was very smooth, not fizzy at all, like the Framus. It chugged like a beast and with the ultra lead engaged it was even better. I can't see any downfalls with this amp, compared to the Powerball I was planning on getting I think it's a much better buy, more versatile and no shared EQs. The MIDI capabilites are a great thing too, enabling you to store up to 128 presets with a MIDI footswitch (not included with the amp though ). All in all, I pick it up on Monday/Tuesday, but my mum won't let me play it until my birthday in September It's alright though cause I have to test my cab out and I don't particularly want to test it out with my brand new tube head lol. I need to buy an ohm meter just to be on the safe side. So yes, I'm soon to be the proud owned of a Hughed & Kettner Trilogy amp. I couldn't be happier

The Rocker 30 isn't one of Oranges higher gain amps.