Page 1 of 3
I realise there is an Anathema thread, but its ancient and only has about 6 posts despite bumpage by me a few times. Anyways, discuss this class band.

Im not really a fan of their new direction, but their old Death/Doom stuff is killer, a must for fans of Paradise Lost, Katatonia, et al.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I quite like their stuff, but it's hard to listen to a lot of it in one sitting because it's so ****ing depressing
ohai little sig.
Aye, I know what you mean.... especially tracks like Restless Oblivion, 'A BLEAK GARDEN TO CRY....' real powerful stuff.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
this is interesting, it kinda sounds like slowed down prog rock like riverside/porcupine tree, and i really like the male/female vocal harmonies
I love Anathema, both the old and new stuff, though I prefer the old

out of the "Peaceville Three"
Anathema & Pardise Lost >>>>>>>>>>>> My Dying Bride
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Anathema> MDB> PL for me.

Both new and old style is brilliant, I'm really looking forward to their two releases this year. It's real powerful stuff indeed, songs like Sunset of Age, Angelica, Empty, too many to mention, actually.
Always wanted to check these guys out. This is really good. Judging from little iTunes samples Alternative 4 seems like the most awesome album. Any recs for a starter album?

Edit: I realize they have changed styles massively. The prog-rock thing doesn't really matter to me as long as it's depressing lol.
Alternative 4 is good starter as it contains somewhat of Anathema's old sound and some of what would become what they sound like today. For the metal stuff check out The Silent Enigma, for their prog-rock softer material listen to A Natural Disaster.
Panic is such an awesome song

I've only heard The Silent Enigma, but it's pretty sweet. I definitely need to look into these guys more.
Quote by InfiniteSadness
Alternative 4 is good starter as it contains somewhat of Anathema's old sound and some of what would become what they sound like today. For the metal stuff check out The Silent Enigma, for their prog-rock softer material listen to A Natural Disaster.

This man speaks the truth.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Metalcore...? Anathema...?

Judgement is my favourite album at the moment.
------------------
Quote by InfiniteSadness

i will buy that soon.
Ahh crap. My brother downloaded some of this stuff the other night when we were drunk. We listened to 3 new tracks I think. Didn't mind it. I'll have to try and find where they went and give them another listen and maybe get some other stuff from them.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
If all goes according to plan they should release their new album somewhere during the last few months of 2008. The album is going to mixed by Steven Wilson, I'm not sure on which label as I believe they have plans to release it without a record label.
Quote by InfiniteSadness
If all goes according to plan they should release their new album somewhere during the last few months of 2008. The album is going to mixed by Steven Wilson, I'm not sure on which label as I believe they have plans to release it without a record label.

holy bear tits
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Have a bump for an excellent band.

Listening to their song 'A Natural Disaster' atm. I love it so.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Come on, don't let this die again. There have to be more people here that like Anathema.
------------------
Great band. The Silent Enigma is some goooood stuff.

Edit:
Quote by InfiniteSadness
The album is going to mixed by Steven Wilson...

Last edited by Kusabi at Jan 1, 2009,
And I often sigh....
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Don't like them too much, seen 'em live and they mocked death metal vox. Plus I've read some interview with them where they talk about growing out of metal into a more mature genre.

Their guitarist did get me a gin and tonic, however.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Any opinions on Hindsight? I really like it, most of these songs work very well when performed in a semi-acoustic setting, especially the acoustic versions of Are You There? and Angelica.
Hindsight is good. The version of Are You There? is better than the original, in my opinion.
------------------
I only have some of their newer albums (well, I assume they're newer ones, judging on what's been said about them in this thread..) which I love, but I didn't even realise they'd done heavier stuff, oo I need to go look some of it up!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
^Anathema satanists? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long while. Sucks for the fans who wanted to see the band.

I don't really agree with Danny saying that most of their lyrics are ''about healing, and light and are very positive''. Their last two albums have a few positive moments, but everything up to Judgement was completely devoid of any light imo.

Btw, new album is now expected to come out late summer/early autumn.
I have Judgement, Eternity and Alternative 4. Which album should I get next?
------------------
fragile dreams is a great song. at least in that song, their singer sounds like the singer from the moody blues! ive downloaded a few of their songs and it didnt quite hit the spot. but reading through this thread, it sounds like i need to check out all of their albums.

ya know, the whole time reading this thread i was thinking it was about amorphis hahaha. i bought their new album and upon its first listen, it was kinda bland. but maybe it will grow on me

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Are these guys even metal, I picked up a CD of theirs and it was like slow acoustic and lousy vocals the entire disc?
Saw these guys on Sunday. Absolutely loved them. Me and a friend just got camping chairs and sat towards the back. Really relaxing and really awesome. I have A Natural Disaster, what should i go for next?
^Alternative 4 or Judgement if you like their rockier sound and A Fine Day to Exit for more relaxing yet awesome songs.

Quote by Mky
I have Judgement, Eternity and Alternative 4. Which album should I get next?

A Natural Disaster or A Fine Day to Exit. I prefer A.N.D because it has a better flow, has more interesting songwriting (like incorporating some post-rock influences in their music), and the album is more emotionally gripping in my opinion. But A Fine Day to Exit is an excellent choice as well, which has some fantastic songs like Temporary Peace or Pressure.

Quote by dfisher_18
Are these guys even metal, I picked up a CD of theirs and it was like slow acoustic and lousy vocals the entire disc?

Their first three albums are metal.
I have Judgement and A Natural Disaster. and they are both fantastic albums.

I saw them at bloodstock last weekend. Very nice music, we just took chairs and say at the back and enjoyed.

they played a nice cover of Phantom of the Opera with ex Dimmu/C.O.F/Testament drummer Nick Barker.
Quote by Stranglehold
I'm not really a fan of their new direction

Not even Alternative 4?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Page 1 of 3