Ok here's the deal: I play rhythm guitar in a small band, but have recently become interested in playing bass, and have decided to get one. Now I need your help, since you're the bass experts of the forum. I need to know what is the best bass for about 5-6 hundred $. We usually play metal and rock.

Much thanks.
"A smart person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it."
- We listen to Metallica at the Palace of Wisdom
Try a fender MIM P and jazz?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
The Amp is not a problem, I have a friend who works at the local music store, and can get me one for a small price. Basically so far I've tried some ESP and Musicman basses. Will try the MIM Fenders.
I don't want to sing it's praises just because I have one, but I got a Peavey Millenium BXP for just short of €400 and it's pretty damn nice.

Seriously.
Why would you pay that much money on a bass when you are a begginer to the instrument? Start on a cheap, crap one and get good THEN pay half a grand on a nice one.
Quote by bassboy666
I don't want to sing it's praises just because I have one, but I got a Peavey Millenium BXP for just short of €400 and it's pretty damn nice.

Seriously.

I read some nice reviews online, will probably check it out.

Quote by Pizza The Hut
Why would you pay that much money on a bass when you are a begginer to the instrument? Start on a cheap, crap one and get good THEN pay half a grand on a nice one.

I played the bass of our band's bassist (when we weren't actually practicing), also we traded guitars for a week, I have him my Jackson, and he gave me his bass. So I can (somewhat) play. Not as good as he can, but still.

Quote by smb
You've tried a Music Man? Was it in your price range? $5-600 is probably a bargain there

Yeah, I tried the Stingray. Unfortunately it was way over my budget.
Quote by AlanParker

I played the bass of our band's bassist (when we weren't actually practicing), also we traded guitars for a week, I have him my Jackson, and he gave me his bass. So I can (somewhat) play. Not as good as he can, but still.

A week and the odd time when you aren't practicing doesn't make you a non-starter
Quote by Deliriumbassist
A week and the odd time when you aren't practicing doesn't make you a non-starter

What I meant was that during breaks, I would take his bass and mess around with it.
You're probably right, though.
Quote by AlanParker
What I meant was that during breaks, I would take his bass and mess around with it.
You're probably right, though.

Put it this way- I've been playing 6 years now, and my main bass cost me just over £200. If you're mainly a guitarist, I would get a starter bass, maybe even a starter pack with an amp, and use the rest of your udget for guiutar related stuff- I've never spent more than £150 on an electric guitar, for example.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Put it this way- I've been playing 6 years now, and my main bass cost me just over £200. If you're mainly a guitarist, I would get a starter bass, maybe even a starter pack with an amp, and use the rest of your udget for guiutar related stuff- I've never spent more than £150 on an electric guitar, for example.

Okay, will see what I can get for that price. Thanks for the help.
Quote by Bonesaw
a schecter?

I really dig their guitars (The C1 Hellraiser is one of my guitars) But I still have to check out the basses. Thanks for the tip.
Remember that your amp affects your tone far more than the bass. Get a cheap bass that plays well, and then the best amp you can afford. Bass needs lots of power to maintain tone at high volumes, which is not cheap.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1