What kind of pedal would you use (if there even is one, though I assume so) to slowly distort the sound on your guitar? I'm tired of playing a song with a clean verse, then at the end of the verse, distortion slowly comes in leading to the chorus (over, say, 2 bars).

What kind of pedal would give that effect of slowly becoming more distorted, not jumping from extreme clean to extreme distortion?

Thank you in advance
Not sure if any pedals do it but you could try using the volume knob on your guitar, it can give that effect kinda if you slowly turn it up.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I think the Digitech Dan Donegan pedal has an effect like this
You have a clean sound with phaser and pressing the pedal makes the distortion slowly creep in, and pressing the pedal again leaves you with just the distortion
ohai little sig.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Not sure if any pedals do it but you could try using the volume knob on your guitar, it can give that effect kinda if you slowly turn it up.

My guitar sort of slowly gets louder as the knob goes from 0 to about 3 or 4, but after that there's a pretty sudden jump in volume.

Besides, I would already by playing the song at full or near-full volume, just clean. So I'd have to turn the volume down, hit the distortion, and then resume to turn the knob back up.

Oh, and Doodleface, what exactly would that do? I'm not really familiar with anything related to fuzz pedals, haha.
I've got one of the Zoom multi effect pedals, http://www.logosmusicshop.com/catalog/images/9550302496008.jpg
and its got a pedal on the side (i think its called an expression pedal or something like that)
and you can set the pedal to adjust most of the effect parameters, and i'm pretty sure that you can use the pedal to adjust the amount of distortion
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
It's kind like applying the idea of a wah pedal, but for a fuzz pedal.

When it's on you have no fuzz, and when you move your foot (or anything) closer to the metal surface on the pedal the amount of fuzz increases.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by ripbarney12
I've got one of the Zoom multi effect pedals, http://www.logosmusicshop.com/catalog/images/9550302496008.jpg
and its got a pedal on the side (i think its called an expression pedal or something like that)
and you can set the pedal to adjust most of the effect parameters, and i'm pretty sure that you can use the pedal to adjust the amount of distortion

yeah, you can assign the pedal to different effects, usually its for volume.. but can be used for wah, and any other effects the pedal had, including distortion.
The volume knob thing might work if you just wanted to go from extreme clean to an overdrive sound or a dirty clean to a distortion sound. You could try this with a distortion pedal http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-?sku=150146

On my GNX3000 I would program the expression pedal on a preset to warp from my clean channel to my distortion channel and would do it gradually. I think you can do this with many of the modeler effects boards. Boss has a dynamic setting that will blend from one tone to another depending on how hard you play.
With a nice tube amp and a guitar with solid electronics, you can simple pluck the strings lightly for cleaner tones, and dig in with more attack to get the dirt out.
Quote by Msu_Man04
My guitar sort of slowly gets louder as the knob goes from 0 to about 3 or 4, but after that there's a pretty sudden jump in volume.

Besides, I would already by playing the song at full or near-full volume, just clean. So I'd have to turn the volume down, hit the distortion, and then resume to turn the knob back up.

Either you got crappy pick ups or crappy volume pots.

Good pickups and volumes pots together will blend so silky smooth, on my guitar 1.5 on the volume dial my sound with distortion on I can have very warm sounding clean and that is as loud as cleans are without distortion and the rest of the knob is all the flavor of the distortion you want with no real volume diffence below 2.0.

On Guns N Roses song "Coma" I can play the middle clean part of the song with my volume rolled back to sounding 90-95% clean so when I need to get the feedback for a smooth transition to distortion all I do is roll the knob and there is no big jump in volume its all smooth.

I'm using Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 pro pickups and they come on smooth with no eratic behavior.

I would suggest maybe cleaning your volume pots or replace them and try giving distortion with volume rolled back another go.
Quote by Bertallica
The volume knob thing might work if you just wanted to go from extreme clean to an overdrive sound or a dirty clean to a distortion sound. You could try this with a distortion pedal http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-?sku=150146

On my GNX3000 I would program the expression pedal on a preset to warp from my clean channel to my distortion channel and would do it gradually. I think you can do this with many of the modeler effects boards. Boss has a dynamic setting that will blend from one tone to another depending on how hard you play.

That actually looks sort of what I'm looking for... Like... I have a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal... I could hook that on to, say, the tone or drive, and use it? Would that maybe work?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
With a nice tube amp and a guitar with solid electronics, you can simple pluck the strings lightly for cleaner tones, and dig in with more attack to get the dirt out.

+1

If you've got a tube amp you just pick softly if you want less distortion, pick harder if you want more - no need to make things more complicated than they need to be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

If you've got a tube amp you just pick softly if you want less distortion, pick harder if you want more - no need to make things more complicated than they need to be.

I have a 1966 Fender Bandmaster all tube amp and it works wonderfull for controlling any sound you want, your hands become the effects pedal with a tube amp!.
Several ways to slowly increase the gain 1 is with the volume on the guitar, doesnt work with all do to the curve on many pots. Or a distortion pedal with an expression hooked up to the gain knob, like many multi effects. Or some pedals have a rubber cover for the knob you can use to turn the gain knob with your foot. Or just learn more picking dynamics.
Quote by Tackleberry
Several ways to slowly increase the gain 1 is with the volume on the guitar, doesnt work with all do to the curve on many pots. Or a distortion pedal with an expression hooked up to the gain knob, like many multi effects. Or some pedals have a rubber cover for the knob you can use to turn the gain knob with your foot. Or just learn more picking dynamics.

+1

Like this thing...

http://www.music123.com/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-150146-i1175542.Music123
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The Weapon has this effect, but IMHO the Weapon sounds like pure ****.....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
That third hand thing looks pretty cool actually. Never used any of the fuzz/wahs does the expression work the fuzz or just the wah? And cant imagine be to hard to gut a crybaby and put a distortion in it with the wah pot controling the gain.
Quote by Tackleberry
That third hand thing looks pretty cool actually. Never used any of the fuzz/wahs does the expression work the fuzz or just the wah? And cant imagine be to hard to gut a crybaby and put a distortion in it with the wah pot controling the gain.

It is possible to mod an effects pedal that normally doesn't have a connection for an expression pedal. All you would have to do is replace the pot of the drive knob (or what ever you want to control) with a stereo input jack and hook that up to an expression peddal. You just need to be handy with some tools like a sodering iron and make sure there is room for the input jack to fit were the pot once was. Still, I'd like the Third Hand device better, no major modding, just take off the knob and attach the little arm thingy and your good to go.
Thats why I was looking at a wah or volume pedal they already have the expression pedal and pot. Use a low price wah take out the wah PC board or simply add to it. A switch to change from wah to distortion pedal. Use the pot in the wah as the gain knob. Be easy enough with many distortion pedals to pull the board out and put it in a wah housing. But I fixed all my guitars so the vol pot has a good sweep to em. Never been an issue I needed to address before.
i'd say a volume pedal at the start of the chain

or the volume pot on the guitar