Ok so i need to get a new pickup for my epi SG since i finally have a real band and i can't afford a new guitar, i have a decent amp set up but i have wanted to replace the pups for a long time.

first of all, noob question,
rhythm= bridge, treble= neck right?

and alright i am pretty set on an EMG, as they at the pickup my favorite guitarist uses. I want to know whether I should go for the 85, 89 or 81.

keep in mind i do NOT want a trebly metal tone. The best way to show you what my tone is going to sound similar too is to show you this: www.myspace.com/converge dont listen to plagues, listen to the broken vow or the saddest day.

as i won't be able to try both before i buy i'd like some suggestions. I read some harmony central reviews and so far i am leaning toward the 89.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I'm pretty sure treble = bridge and rhythm = neck.

Also if you have one EMG (active) and your other pickup is passive, your passive pick up won't work right. Someone who knows more on that can explain it better though.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by pmeg568c
Ok so i need to get a new pickup for my epi SG since i finally have a real band and i can't afford a new guitar, i have a decent amp set up but i have wanted to replace the pups for a long time.

first of all, noob question,
rhythm= bridge, treble= neck right?

and alright i am pretty set on an EMG, as they at the pickup my favorite guitarist uses. I want to know whether I should go for the 85, 89 or 81.

keep in mind i do NOT want a trebly metal tone. The best way to show you what my tone is going to sound similar too is to show you this: www.myspace.com/converge dont listen to plagues, listen to the broken vow or the saddest day.

as i won't be able to try both before i buy i'd like some suggestions. I read some harmony central reviews and so far i am leaning toward the 89.

No, it's treble = bridge, rhythm = neck

I would go with an 81 in the bridge/treble position, that's what it's made for.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
alright well if i only have the one EMG and the other ****ty epi stock pickup i probably won't use it anyway. I don't really need versatility. I should be able to get a decent clean tone with the EMG and i basically am a rhythm guitar player and we aren't going to have solos or anything.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
If you aren't going to be playing ANY leads I wouldn't go for the 81
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
i mean ill be playing random lead lines but i'm not gonna be like shredding or have anything close to a solo
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
if you dont want a trebly metal tone then 81 isnt ideal, thts a brighter pickup better suited for lead tones. The 85 would probably be better suited for your rythm tones, or try the new 60 which is supposed to be very good too.
^thanks, anyone have any opinions about the 89?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
also i read up about the 60 and it has lots of treble, so i dunno about that for me
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
If you don't want treble turn your treble knob down.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I have an Epiphone Explorer with an EMG 81 in the bridge & an EMG 85 in the neck I also have an ESP LTD EC100QM with a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge & a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck. If you are only replacing the bridge pickup I think you would be better off staying with a passive pickup. EMG's are killer pickups but they require special pots and input jacks and I think they do make some parts to allow them to mix with passive pickups but that cost extra. I think you should look into the Duncan Distortion Humbucker I think it will be to your liking and you won't have to completly redo the electronics in your SG. I like EMG's but Duncans sound pretty good too.
emg has quite a few passive humbuckers also. i picked up a emg hz series on fleabay for 13.00 shipped. couldnt be happier.

jym
alright can someone settle this for me? my friend put an emg 81 in his guitar, with a passive pickup. both of them still work fine. but people are also telling me you can't mix passive and active. so whats the deal?

also i've decided on the 89
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
85 for the bridge

also to make the actives and passives work together, you need 2 pots for each pup. And then you would not also be able to use the middle position
so if i go for the 89 in the neck and 85 in the bridge that would be a good combo? i need the single coil split because i play jazz at college.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I don't see a passive and active working together, and if they are working, it may not be a good thing. In order to use EMG's, they aquire rewiring and everything. The 81 is a good pickup, but it's deffinatly not going to give you good cleans. The 60 isn't really trembly, but very bassy. I prefer the 60 for cleans and for playing semi-mellow leads. I have the 81/60 combo, and although I'm not a huge EMG fan, I have to admit that it's the best combination of EMG's I've played. If you're doing your bridge pickup, then I highly suggest you put an EMG in the neck as well. If not, then I think you should stick to passive pickups, there are tons of good passive pickups out there. I have a Bill Lawrence 500xl/Dimarzio SD combo, which works well together as well.

Just a few ideas for ya.
Quote by PanHead
DiMarzio D'activators.

No batteries.

+1 they are very nice pups
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"