I'm a beginner, I just bought a Epiphone Les Paul, and I've noticed that sometimes some of the strings i'm not even touching start to vibrate while I'm playing, producing some odd tones. What can cause this?
Try to gently lay your fingers over the strings that you are not playing. That way you can mute them. I wouldnt worry about it. Eventually you will tighten up
you are probably strumming them without knowing it, or you could be just barely hitting them with your left hand (assuming your righty)
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Schecter C-1 Plus
Peavey Classic 30
its common. for example:
if you play the G-note on the 8th fret of the B-string, it will cause resonance in the open G-string. even if you play the G-flat note or the G-sharp note on the B-string can cause resonance in the open G-string, because the frequency is close enough.
you have to learn how to mute your unused strings with your picking hand.
i still haven't even figured out how to do this properly
then i look at other guitarists and they don't seem to do any kind of muting, and they don't have any problem with it at all.
drives me freak'n crazy sometimes
alright thanks for the help! I knew from other experiences that if you make a sound that is similar in pitch that another object makes it will begin to resonate as well. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else wrong