Page 1 of 2
I plan to buy this guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-ML-Phantom-XT-Electric-Guitar?sku=519815

and this amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VTXL30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483004

if anyone has any opinions on how i could improve this for the money, as you can guess, the primary genre will be from A7X, Shadows fall, to as extreme as Nile.
and yes, i have tried out the ML in my hands and i like it better than a V.
There are far better guitars than that Dean for the money. The Valvetronix amps are muddy and unlikely to be able to do death metal.
hmmm well i'm getting that guitar used for $299
what guitars would be far better?
i like the look of ML's and V's
also what do you recommend for an amp?
i have about $500 total to spend
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
. The Valvetronix amps are muddy and unlikely to be able to do death metal.

searching forum history i see that Valvetronix have great sound compared to other amps in that price range and they have 11 effects and 11 voices or w/e :/
They can't do metal though.

The guitar is very 'meh' in my opinion. I personally think its as ugly as sin, but for $299 then its not that bad. I'd go for something like this though-

Ibanez RG2EX1
Quote by Tom_hatton

The guitar is very 'meh' in my opinion. I personally think its as ugly as sin, but for $299 then its not that bad. I'd go for something like this though-

Ibanez RG2EX1

That is the Valvetronix (black) XL, which has higher gain models compared to the regular Valvestronix (silver)

I wouldn't recommend it though as it is a lot muddier compared to its brother.
hmm well for $299 it comes with dimebucker at bridge and pearly gates at the neck
That Ibanez looks decent, i'm diggin the ML shape though
and so it looks like im going with the regular valvetronix and not the XL
Quote by invis
hmm well for $299 it comes with dimebucker at bridge and pearly gates at the neck

No comments....
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Good guitar and you should get a Marshall amp.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Fives
Good guitar and you should get a Park amp.

Yep, that's what MGs are at the end of the day, whether you like it or not...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Yep, that's what MGs are at the end of the day, whether you like it or not...
Lol......yeah.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Ignore the Dean haters, they enjoy lurking UG in search of potential buyers to discourage. I would get the ML and save up for a better amp, it's worth it in the long run. Make sure you have some money left over for a pickup swap later on too.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
Quote by invis
That Ibanez looks decent, i'm diggin the ML shape though
and so it looks like im going with the regular valvetronix and not the XL

If the ML is in good condition and comes with those pickups, then I guess thats a good deal and you should stick with it, especially since you dig the shape. And yes, get the regular Valvetronix and put an overdrive pedal in front of it if you want a nice tight metal sound. I recommend a Digitech Bad Monkey because its quite cheap and it does the job.
Now Im not a Dean hater but there are Better Things in the Price Range, The Dean has a licensed Tremolo which is probably kinda bad.. and Generic Dean Pickups.. I mean.. for 500 bucks you can do better.. sure it looks good but Looks isnt gonna make you sound good.. also never play a 500 dollar guitar into a 200 dollar amp.. if you have around 700 bucks get a.. Valveking 112 and an Ibanez RG321

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
The tremolo is probably poor quality so it will have tuning stability problems compared to higher quality floyd rose tremolos. i wouldnt recommend any of those amps, but the Superchamp looks cool.
Quote by invis

If you don't have much money to spend get a Roland cube 30 or 60 it is far better than those apart from maybe the Superchamp XD but that will not be able to do metal.
so 30x cube or Vox AD30VT?
not for volume, but for metal sound quality and effects?
Quote by invis
so 30x cube or Vox AD30VT?
not for volume, but for metal sound quality and effects?

I suggest the Vox and get an OD pedal soon to tighten the sound as others have said. However, your ear WILL develop past it so plan to save up at least $500 in the next year or so for an upgrade. Honestly, if you can try it in the store and you think it sounds good, I say go for it. Especially if you can't afford better.

One big difference to consider between the cube and the vox is volume. If you plan to blast it, the cube will mud up quite a bit since it's solid state. The Vox, if I recall, has a master volume which will allow you to get the higher volume tube tones (to a certain extent) yet not blow your whole house to shreds.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that, please. Don't listen to the Dean haters completely, by the way. It's not BAD...but you could do a bit better. Look at Jackson and ESP.

Even BETTER advice that's been given somewhat in this thread is to change your $$ ratio between your amp and guitar. Always always always spend more on your amp because that's at least 80% of your tone. I guarantee you would not notice the difference between a $400 guitar and a $500 guitar through a good amp if they weren't DRASTICALLY different. Good luck to you, TS.
hmm well my current guitar is about $100 and goes out of tune after one mediocre song
so i'm afraid if i lower the price of the guitar its not gonna be a big improvement over my current one
i wopuld actually reccomend an LTD explorer or Jackson RR3 much better guitars for the price, deans imo are overrated i was playing one today and it was just "meh" same with Ibanez's for em i dont liek them but some people swear byt them.......
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
i wopuld actually reccomend an LTD explorer or Jackson RR3 much better guitars for the price, deans imo are overrated i was playing one today and it was just "meh" same with Ibanez's for em i dont liek them but some people swear byt them.......

Yeah because 479 bucks can get you a Jackson RR3 or an LTD EX-400.

/sarcasm.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Yeah because 479 bucks can get you a Jackson RR3 or an LTD EX-400.

/sarcasm.

its much better to save up for a decent guitar rather than buy a cheap piece of crap.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by Tom_hatton

Ibanez RG2EX1

Tom Quit being a fan boy of a ****ty Company who endorses HERman RI.

but on the other note I would choose another amp like, a Randall
Quote by invis
is a tuneomatic bridge a good or bad thing?

can someone plz answer my question
Quote by mrbungle50221
its much better to save up for a decent guitar rather than buy a cheap piece of crap.

The same could be said for amps...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by invis
is a tuneomatic bridge a good or bad thing?

Quote by invis

It's preferance, I prefer hardtail/trem.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by steel337
The tremolo is probably poor quality so it will have tuning stability problems compared to higher quality floyd rose tremolos. i wouldnt recommend any of those amps, but the Superchamp looks cool.

give me a 300$ guitar whit an ofr and your my god <.<

Down listen to the guy. Dean LFR are actually pretty decent. If u buy its used its a good deal.

For the amp i would save a lil bit more for a randall rg50 or even a 5150 combo
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
give me a 300$ guitar whit an ofr and your my god <.<

Down listen to the guy. Dean LFR are actually pretty decent. If u buy its used its a good deal.

For the amp i would save a lil bit more for a randall rg50 or even a 5150 combo

Why even have the hassle of an FR? If it's not an Original or better, might as well stick with fixed bridge (I barely use my FR).
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Tune-o-mat's are string-thru, i assume. i have yet to see one with a stop tailpiece (les paul bridge setup). But of course, with a FR, you can reuse a string if you break it.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Why even have the hassle of an FR? If it's not an Original or better, might as well stick with fixed bridge (I barely use my FR).

ooohhh i see now, it has a fixed bridge instead of the original tremolo
how much would a good tremelo cost if i decided to buy one later?
better yet what do they do?
Quote by invis
ooohhh i see now, it has a fixed bridge instead of the original tremolo
how much would a good tremelo cost if i decided to buy one later?
better yet what do they do?

An original FR is a couple hundred bucks.

You know those recordings with guitars sounding like theyre dropping way down, out of tune, then rising back up? thats a tremelo bar's purpose, to bend down or up string notes in a wilder way than finger bending. With that fixed bridge, when you bend up a string, the rest of the strings dont drop out of tune as with a Floyd. counter-acting forces keep a FR bridge level. Break a string on a floyd, the springs in the back cavity pull all the strings up out of tune. break one on a fixed bridge, youre sans one string. all the others stay in tune
Page 1 of 2