Page 1 of 2
I need more inspiration or ideas from music that will motivate my bass playing more.

Do you guys have any favorite CDs/bands that have exceptional/prominate bass playing? Particularly in the rock genre?

Is there some sort of top 10 list for great bass CDs in your minds that helped you out? Thanks.
Necrophagist have an incredible bassist

or Ted Maul.

just listen to some of their stuff
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
mudvayne usually makes me want to play bass, then again so does everything else really. i suggest that you check out

Mudvayne - LD50
Rush - everything by these guys
etc.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You may not hear it all the time, but the last two Opeth albums have fantastiv bass. It's a great exercise in knowing what to do when.

Blackwater Park bass > All

Quote by metaldud536

gotta love the little bit in lotus eater where it just breaks down into some random ditty. not entirely bass related, but i'd love to play that bit

Quote by metaldud536

well, muse ahs alot of good bass, but to go for somethign that you probhably havent heard of, the newest wolfstone cd (terra firma) has some of my favorite bass, it fits perfectly imo
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, early Metallica.

And FUNK, Stevie Wonder and James Brown!

EDIT: Oh, and for slap bass, check out Marcus Miller. His cover of 'Higher Ground' is sweet.
Last edited by Froggy McHop at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by IndianRockStar
Rage Against the Machine-Self Titled. Lots of nice bass work in there.

+1
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Interpol, listen to any of their stuff, its really bass driven.

never fails to inspire me when i pick up my bass.

give them a listen.

or........

The Strokes

and........ Circa Survive
Check out some Elvis Costello and The Attractions.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The Dixie Dregs
Andy West Is Awesome at the bass guitar!
Divided We Stand has their best songs.

Like watchingmefall said, Listen to other Instruments. I steal a lot of stuff from my solos from Steve Morse, come to think of it.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Incubus-Fungus Amongus
Great (first) album, great band, great bass
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
^Science is good aswell

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Pizza The Hut
A few of you are mentioning Rush. I don't know a whole lot about (just what I've heard on radio, I've never bought anything from them) them could you recomend some of thier CDs/albums?

moving pictures has probly the majority of the stuff you have heard by them which is a good album
2112 is my favorite by them every good album
and fly by night is another one i recommend

also you should check in the jazz genre there is very good bass work in it
some recommedations
jaco pastorius-jaco pastorius
weather report-heavy weather
medeski martin and wood-shack-man
medeski martin and wood-uninvisible(chirs wood is a beast bassist)
^^those are albums..

also phish has some pretty solid bass lines
some good songs with good bass are
character zero
twist
you enjoy myself
david bowie
chalk dust torture

well those are just some i that i can think of
Cream, Yes and Muse inspire my playing a lot. Try them out.

I suggest the songs The Fish, Roundabout, White Room, Uno and Unintended.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Kings of Leon- Because of the Times.
I love the bassist's work, even though he uses a T-bird It mixes well with the guitar.
This was the first album I played along with in it's entirety. If I could recommend only one track, I would go with Ragoo. The line is sparse, but it works well with the guitars.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Last edited by KKING911 at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by Pizza The Hut
A few of you are mentioning Rush. I don't know a whole lot about (just what I've heard on radio, I've never bought anything from them) them could you recomend some of thier CDs/albums?

Fudger makes some good suggestions. However, I've learned the hard way that if you download more than one or two albums from an artist at a time, you get oversaturated with them, and don't really appreciate them for a long time. Unless you spend hours straight listening to them over and over again, which I don't think you want to do.

If you want to get a taste of Rush, I'd say get Spirit of Radio. It's one of their comps. It's pretty huge too, 16 tracks.

Aside from Rush, I've got a different suggestion. Sure lots of people will suggest to you to listen to Flea, and a good few will suggest Tim Commerford. Now, while listening to these two guys is definitely good, I have a more specific suggestion for you. In Flea's RHCP stuff and Tim's Audioslave stuff (moreso than the RATM stuff), listen to what the bass is playing during guitar solos. I'm telling you, it totally gets me in the writing mood hearing these solo backing basslines that are just amazing.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say it's worth a shot to try it out.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
Fudger makes some good suggestions. However, I've learned the hard way that if you download more than one or two albums from an artist at a time, you get oversaturated with them, and don't really appreciate them for a long time. Unless you spend hours straight listening to them over and over again, which I don't think you want to do.

If you want to get a taste of Rush, I'd say get Spirit of Radio. It's one of their comps. It's pretty huge too, 16 tracks.

Aside from Rush, I've got a different suggestion. Sure lots of people will suggest to you to listen to Flea, and a good few will suggest Tim Commerford. Now, while listening to these two guys is definitely good, I have a more specific suggestion for you. In Flea's RHCP stuff and Tim's Audioslave stuff (moreso than the RATM stuff), listen to what the bass is playing during guitar solos. I'm telling you, it totally gets me in the writing mood hearing these solo backing basslines that are just amazing.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say it's worth a shot to try it out.

I totally agree with that. Like what Flea plays during the first part of the solo in My Lovely Man is awesome. With Timmy C, what happens during the guitar solo is that you can hear how awesome Timmy's tone is.
Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction
Necrophagist - Epitaph

TS, try learning this. It should improve your tapping, and the guitarists are really quite amazing if you ask me. http://youtube.com/watch?v=1DND8S_CF_g

If you learn that the right way, you get a cookie. From the whole bass forum. Here's a live version to give you somewhere to start. http://youtube.com/watch?v=mFjoUdno7RM
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
something very different...
snow goose by Camel
wierd, classical wierdness if you dont like the sound of it...
still listen. 'wierd and classical' is pretty much what i was told they were,
but there good.
melodic basslines, mostly totally instrumental, experimental, interesting.
its a concept album where each track flows into the next.
give it a listen
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
well since youre looking for something in the rock genre im actually quite surprised nobody even mentioned Tool. seriously, their bassist is amazing. personal song suggestions are Schism (the only part thats sorta hard is the open d to double hammer on part in the main riff, at least i play it as a hammer on but the tab i got said it was picked but it doesnt sound right to me picked) The Pot, Sober, and 46 & 2.
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
The first Primus album, "Suck on This" the live one, has some great bass work on it, Claypools tone on that album is ace, and includes a version of Tommy the Cat with an amazing solo, it's one of their strongest releases and definetly gets me in the mood for playing and writing.
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Listen to the album 'Rust in Peace' by Megadeth. The bass cuts through like a hot knife through butter. Pure pick tone. You'll appreciate the complexity and speed of some of the riffs and may even begin to view Ellefson as actually a decent bassist, I know I did.
signature
Allman Brothers Band has some really good stuff, especially backing up soloists like WhyLater was talking about. You can hear it on pretty much any live Allman Brothers album.
Quote by IndianRockStar
I totally agree with that. Like what Flea plays during the first part of the solo in My Lovely Man is awesome. With Timmy C, what happens during the guitar solo is that you can hear how awesome Timmy's tone is.

It's always nice to see a reasonable man with good taste agreeing with you.

I had another suggestion for you, TS - The Flaming Lips. The bass totally drives that band. In particular, the album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Bootsy Collins! He played with George Clinton in Parliament Funkadelic.

He also works with Buckethead sometimes.
Saint Louis Blues
my top ten bass albums:

1. eMergent by Gordian Knot (Sean Malone on Chapman Stick and bass. Jazz Fusion/ Instrumental metal)
2. Unquestionable Presence by Atheist (Tony Choy on bass. Jazz Fusion/ Tech-Death Metal)
3. The Yes Album by Yes (Chris Squire on bass. Progressive Rock. Very easy to listen to)
4. Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson (John Whetton on bass. Progressive Rock / Folk. Mostly Instrumental)
5. Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus (Les Claypool. Funk Fusion)
6. 2112 by Rush (Geddy Lee on bass. Progressive Rock)
7. In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson (Greg Lake on bass. Progressive Rock.)
8. Focus by Cynic (Sean Malone on Chapman Stick and bass. Jazz Fusion / death-metal)
9. Paranoid by Black Sabbath (Geezer Butler on bass. blues based rock)
10. Lateralus by Tool (Justin Chancellor on bass. Progressive rock.)
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Protest the Hero. Arif is a beast.
Someone plunged a dagger deep into God's chest and
When he groaned it laid our entire civilization to rest
When he pulled out the dagger and marveled at the pain he could create
We stuck another in his back to seal creation's fate
Check out some Porcupine Tree if you get the chance. Collin Edwards has some pretty solid yet laid back basslines.
2 1 1 0
8 1 0 5
0 0 9 6 2 2 5 1
Page 1 of 2