Looking to get a new guitar and some thicker strings to drop tune. I was wondering if a guitar with a tremolo would be alright to drop tune. I'm still new to the guitar so sorry for the dumb question.
yes they do work for drop tuning, but you need thicker strings and also need to add springs into the cavity at the back

generally if your new to guitar.....
avoid a trem, especially a locking one such as a floyd rose
Top lel.
ya stick to HArd tails until u have been playin for like 4 years cause unless u change the strings perfectly the whole thing gets all ****ed up and you cant drop tune much with out adjusting a **** load of dtuff
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
you dont need to add springs you can just adjust the screws in the cavity, if you are gonna change tunings alot i dont reccomend a guitar with a trem tho.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Quote by mrbungle50221
you dont need to add springs you can just adjust the screws in the cavity, if you are gonna change tunings alot i dont reccomend a guitar with a trem tho.

nah, i had to add an extra spring into my peavey when i dropped the tuning, tightening the screws wasnt quite cutting it and was really putting a lot of pressure on it, so i added in the extra spring
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
nah, i had to add an extra spring into my peavey when i dropped the tuning, tightening the screws wasnt quite cutting it and was really putting a lot of pressure on it, so i added in the extra spring

well i guess it depends on the trem then cos i went from standard to drop c and changed the strings to 12-56 guage and only had to tighten the screws a bit to level it out.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
i tuned to D standard and put 10-52s on, and i had to really tighten my screws a lot to pull the trem onto the body
Top lel.
Hey thanks guys for all the replies. I'll probably stick to a hard tail cause I don't want to screw up a guitar just yet
i had 12-56's so the tension was higher in the strings so thats why i had to tighten the screws less
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
good idea man!
im actually close to purchasing a hardtail guitar myself as i'm getting more into drop tuning

edit: to mrbungle......... I SHEEEEEE!
im still weak so ive not moved to 12s yet
Top lel.
Quote by mrbungle50221
i had 12-56's so the tension was higher in the strings so thats why i had to tighten the screws less
That doesn't make any sense. The higher the tension in the strings, the more you will need to tighten the spring screws to balance out that tension. When I put .11-.54 strings on my KH-2 and tuned to D standard, I found that I had to really tighten up the spring screws (stretch the springs more) to get the bridge flush with the body. I then changed to drop C and I was shocked at how much spring adjustment (relaxation) was needed for simply dropping that single string by a full step. My point is that there is quite a difference in string tension between D standard and drop C, so that probably explains why "the memory" had to tighten his spring screws more than you. I also think this is where a 4th spring really helps. With the tension distributed among 4 springs instead of 3, less spring screw adjustment is needed for tuning changes.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
phfft, i recently bought a jackson king v model with a floyd rose, god its a pain when im re-stringing it, next time i get a guitar im going to get smoething alonge the lines of dave mustaines dean V's or whatever the **** there called.

So if you've only been playing a short amount of time, stay the hell away from floyd roses.
Stick with a TOM bridge or any other types of hardtail bridges, FR bridges are a pain.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.