How much does it usually cost to get one pickup replaced? I am planning on getting a Seymour Duncan SH-8 and a Dimarzio 500k Push-Pull pot put into my SG. Thanks!
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
^+1

If you were interested in the invader the the Gibson Dirty fingers is probably worth a look. The Dirty Fingers is what the invader wishes it could be.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not much, if you do it yourself, you just need a soldering iron, 60/40 solder, and desoldering braid. Less than 20 bucks. What do you even want the Push Pull to do?

A shop might charge anywhere between 50-90 dollars.

BTW, I'd stay away from the Invader.

Well, thats the point, I don't want to replace it myself, and i want the push/pull to coil split. Anyway, not to sound to stupid, but I kind of want the Synyster Gates sound but that is not the main reason I want the pickup. Thanks!
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
why don't you want to install it yourself? It isn't difficult. I changed the three pickups in my strat without any prior experience.
Quote by supergerbil
why don't you want to install it yourself? It isn't difficult. I changed the three pickups in my strat without any prior experience.

Honestly I just don't want to mess up on my Gibson. It's my baby.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
Honestly I just don't want to mess up on my Gibson. It's my baby.

It's practically impossible to really **** it up. There's diagrams all over the 'net, and there's plenty of people willing to help.
Not me, but still.

BTW, if you want the Synyster Gates sound, a pickup isn't going to give it to you. Pickups are a smaller part of your tone than you think. Not through that AVT.
Well, I understand, but I'm just gonna have it put in by a pro. Thanks anyway!
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
i'd stay away from the Invader. why not a Duncan Custom or Custom 5? you wont get to sound like Syn with just a pickup replacement by the way. just my 0.02.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Everything worth noting has already been stated.

To have it done professionally, it will be about 50-100.

It is VERY easy to do it by yourself, but it is understandable that you dont want to risk ruining your guitar.

It is quite hard to really ruin your guitar, most common thing that may happen is you do a messy soldering job. Easy to fix, just get a new pot.

Coming from someone who owns an Invader, I think it is a pretty good pickup. Not the very best, but good for my style of music. The majority of what I play is punk rock, which really isnt that picky when it comes to your tone, but the Invader does take distortion quite well, as well as some OK clean tones. But it truly will not give a sound like Synister Gates or however you spell his name (I dont find him important enough to check the spelling of his name).

Like others have said, there are better pickups you can look at which does give better tone than the SH-8, but the Invader is an alright pickup.

Not going to rag on A7X and Syn, but in order to copy his tone, you would need to spend thousands in computer equipment. The only way to get his tone, is editing. A7x, as well as numerous other bands, use computer editing on the guitars and voices to make it sound "good". Syn doesn't have a natural sound, he has a computer edited sound.
how can you f*k up unless you wire it backwards? if it's a single conductor pup and you cant figure out which lead is ground, well, short bus for you . 4 conductors can be tricky if you dont know the wire codes for that brand but once you get it you can figure out the rest pretty easy. The first time i wired in 4 conductors in i had to look at it for a second but i figured it out just fine... if you screw up the solder joint, just get a desoldering braid and start over... how hard is that? just dont keep the iron there too long and overheat anything. you can use alligator clips for heat sinks if you're scared to mess up.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by poguemahone805

It is VERY easy to do it by yourself, but it is understandable that you dont want to risk ruining your guitar.

It is quite hard to really ruin your guitar, most common thing that may happen is you do a messy soldering job. Easy to fix, just get a new pot.

Coming from someone who owns an Invader, I think it is a pretty good pickup. Not the very best, but good for my style of music. The majority of what I play is punk rock, which really isnt that picky when it comes to your tone, but the Invader does take distortion quite well, as well as some OK clean tones. But it truly will not give a sound like Synister Gates or however you spell his name (I dont find him important enough to check the spelling of his name).

Like others have said, there are better pickups you can look at which does give better tone than the SH-8, but the Invader is an alright pickup.

Not going to rag on A7X and Syn, but in order to copy his tone, you would need to spend thousands in computer equipment. The only way to get his tone, is editing. A7x, as well as numerous other bands, use computer editing on the guitars and voices to make it sound "good". Syn doesn't have a natural sound, he has a computer edited sound.

i'm not just trying to get syn's sound, i need a pickup that sharpens my metal playing.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
i love the invader in my strat and it's far from muddy. just read the reviews on this site and other sites by the people who actually have the pickup and they are all GREAT. this site many people just repeat what they have read. also seymour will talk you thru the install of your pickup. the customer svc is damn good. heres a pic of my strat but then again a strat is alder which is bright wood and i also have a maple neck so it's a bright sounding guitar the invader help me get a the chunky tone i was looking for. i had a sh6 in it b4 the invader and it was way to trebly.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 11, 2008,
Thread like this just puzzle me - the TS is wants to change pickups, is adamant he wants the Invader yet doesn't really know *why* he wants to change pickups, much less why he wants the invader.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i was just saying read the reviews on this site. harmony central it has great reviews by it owners. i respect your opinion. i think the invader in a less paul would not sound good. but it brings alot of bottom end that a strat is lacking for heavier music.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by poguemahone805

naaaaahhhhh he uses bogner and mesa, and i have seen him live and it doesnt sound too different from the CD. they use good noise omitting stuff or a pedal in the studio, but live, his tone is almost identical
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
live footage from what 2-4 years ago? yeah it sounded like complete ass. NOW, his playing along with his tone sounds 150% better. i saw them in February
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I have no clue why some people find the Invader to have a muddy sound. One of my favorite things about my Invader is it has plenty of highs and gives a very trebly distortion.
Quote by poguemahone805
I have no clue why some people find the Invader to have a muddy sound. One of my favorite things about my Invader is it has plenty of highs and gives a very trebly distortion.

They probably say that because it is IS muddy. That doesn't mean it doesn't have highs. That means it's got poor note clarity.
Okay, I am a Syn/A7X fan, but to be honest, usually syn is too drunk onstage to even try to play everything right and even when he isn't wasted his setup sounds similar, but at the same time no where as good as he sounds on the records. And for the guy who started this thread, in the studio, Syn doesn't always play his custom with the invaders. He has a les paul (which was really only used on Waking the fallen), a schecter c-1, and like two others just for studio use. Really Syn's sound is the byproduct of a few months of studio work. Dude just get a nice amp, and if you need to change pickups maybe throw a nice pair of JB's or SH-5/6. You're not going to get syns sound from just the pickups. and go into guitar center, play the custom and see if you still like the pickups. i tried it once, and it was plugged into a good marshall, and i couldn't stand the invaders. they sound like sh*t. i put that away after about five minutes and picked up a c-1 plus and rocked away on that for a while.
Last edited by leon0008 at Jul 11, 2008,