For the longest time I have been wanting a car, but now I'm not so sure I can afford it. I still can't find a job this summer, so I have no source of income. My mom agreed to buy a reliable used car for around 10000 as long as I pay for gas, insurance, and maintenance. I did some research, and insurance comes out to about 2400 for 6 months, or 400 a month. Even if I had a job I couldn't afford it.

So I've been looking into scooters/mopeds lately. They're much cheaper, really gas efficient, and insurance is something like 400 a year for a moped with 150cc piston displacement. I could actually afford one of these.

Does anyone hear own one? What do you think of it?

I have one concern about a moped though. I live in Chicago, so I will be driving in heavy traffic sometimes, and people drive like assholes. I don't like knowing that if I do get into an accident, I could very likely get seriously hurt. Maybe I'm being a bit of a wimp about it, but I saw a motorcycle accident one time and there was alot of blood on the pavement...
another concern i belive would be that if you play guitar or bass or somthing how are you gonna lug your rig arround in a scooter.
Quote by greekorican5
For the longest time I have been wanting a car, but now I'm not so sure I can afford it. I still can't find a job this summer, so I have no source of income. My mom agreed to buy a reliable used car for around 10000 as long as I pay for gas, insurance, and maintenance. I did some research, and insurance comes out to about 2400 for 6 months, or 400 a month. Even if I had a job I couldn't afford it.

So I've been looking into scooters/mopeds lately. They're much cheaper, really gas efficient, and insurance is something like 400 a year for a moped with 150cc piston displacement. I could actually afford one of these.

Does anyone hear own one? What do you think of it?

I have one concern about a moped though. I live in Chicago, so I will be driving in heavy traffic sometimes, and people drive like assholes. I don't like knowing that if I do get into an accident, I could very likely get seriously hurt. Maybe I'm being a bit of a wimp about it, but I saw a motorcycle accident one time and there was alot of blood on the pavement...

What kind of car were you looking at?!

Get a honda a 4cyl 5 spd manual it will get about 30 city and alot highway
i use my scooter to get from school to work and back because i live in a city of 30000 but still you're telling me that your insurance would be 4800 a year? my CAR a 1995 Lexus SC300, a sports car, bright red, 19 inch rims, lowered ect. is 1800 a year!
Just letting you know that I'm pretty sure if a moped is more than 50cc, you need a motorcycle license to drive it. Just something to keep in mind.
Get one They're teh awesumz, I don't have one yet, 'cause I'm only 15 :/ But man, the moment I turn 16, I'ma getting the best one I can afford & plus in the UK you can't drive a car til you're 18, so mopeds are the only motor powered thing you can drive on roads
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1
my penis has a restraining order against me because i beat it

Segway!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
Quote by LSC300
What kind of car were you looking at?!

Get a honda a 4cyl 5 spd manual it will get about 30 city and alot highway
i use my scooter to get from school to work and back because i live in a city of 30000 but still you're telling me that your insurance would be 4800 a year? my CAR a 1995 Lexus SC300, a sports car, bright red, 19 inch rims, lowered ect. is 1800 a year!

Well I have had my license for a little under a year, I'm 16, and I had an accident in march. I'm pretty sure the accident is why insurance is so high. I would much rather have a car, but I won't be able to afford it during the school year, even if I work 20 hours a week.

Honda's are kinda pricey arent they? I know Honda is a very trustworthy company, but is there anything wrong with any of these? http://www.scootsusa.com/

What kind of engine should I get? 50cc/150cc, 2cycle/4cycle?

Anybody live in Illinois that is familiar with the process of getting a motorcycle license? If I get class L, can I drive class M bikes too?
Chicago Area blog site w/ useful info

I have a Yamaha Vino 125 and have been riding for over a year going to work and just for fun on weekends.

It's really, really, awesome. Like riding a jetski only on land.

2SB has alot of info for prospective buyers and I think they are involved with the Genuine scooter shop in Chicago.

I say go there. Genuine's are supposedly fabulous bikes, although apparently they are having trouble keeping the in stock this season.

Honda's make good bikes if your looking for a small 50cc or a large 250cc+ There is not much in the middle though.

The bikes on the website you showed are Lance, which s a brand I've heard of but I'm not too sure where they stand rep wise...

Look for good support and a two year warranty from any chinese look a like brand like Lance. It's also probably not a good idea to buy a scooter online.

Honestly check out the Genuine shop. I think the Chicago one is the headquarters of Scooterworks.

You may want to consider rider training as well.

Also nice contribution DanRev
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

Also nice contribution DanRev

You know it. Dont mind me while I put on my mohair jacket and ride off into the sunset.
The streets of Chicago are kinda ****ty. There are potholes everywhere. Sometimes there are sections of street that are ripped up, and there are bumps a couple inches high. There are speed bumps everywhere. A scooter clears the ground by about 5 inches right? How do they handle bumps and such? Would I be able to balance while going over speed bumps, or would i have to walk it over with my feet on the ground?

I'm not too sure how big of a bike to get. Traffic moves around 35mph, so I think a 50cc won't cut it for me. What do you recomend?

How bad is riding in the rain?
Last edited by greekorican5 at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by greekorican5
The streets of Chicago are kinda ****ty. There are potholes everywhere. Sometimes there are sections of street that are ripped up, and there are bumps a couple inches high. There are speed bumps everywhere. A scooter clears the ground by about 5 inches right? How do they handle bumps and such? Would I be able to balance while going over speed bumps, or would i have to walk it over with my feet on the ground?

I'm not too sure how big of a bike to get. Traffic moves around 35mph, so I think a 50cc won't cut it for me. What do you recomend?

Your roads can't be much worse than the roads here in Britain, and scooters handle them just fine.

And don't worry about crashing or getting knocked off. Just make sure you get some decent training and you'll be fine.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
If someone knocks you off, throw a big strop and say that they've killed your scooter, then get on the 5:15 to Brighton.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Buy one and name it Sasha.

Wait, Didn't Sasha get shot multiple times infront of a mini-mart?
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)