Well today I had unlimited freedom with volume, I could have had a 100W tube amp on 10 if I wanted.

So anyway, after spending a few hours playing, I need some help with both my guitar and amp.
The drive on my amp is one of two sounds, either really bassy and saggy, or extremely trebly. No pedals were used, just guitar into amp.
Some of this sound can be attributed to my pickups. The bridge pickup is just too harsh - it always has been and is nearly unusable, although I managed to get an acceptable sound with it, but still. My neck pickup is a dream, but it is too bassy/middy to do what the bridge needed to do.
So I need a new bridge pickup, something smooth and nice. A general nice all-rounder.

I also need some help getting a good drive sound. I currently have been planning to get an OD (HT-Dist). So, with the amp, I can get a fine rhythm channel - but only if it's just chord. A single note just doesn't sound right, so I may have to use that for a good rhythm channel as well, so it'll do both jobs.
Good news is that the clean channel is a dream. It's beautiful to hear, but if I turn it up, and it has a bit of overdrive, the undesirable elements of the drive channel start to appear.

So, another question is, are the tubes the problem? The amp just doesn't pleasant when overdriven, too harsh, AND bassy, and the pre-amp drive is too fizzy. I played with unlimited combinations - and I had it at every volume possible.

So basically, know any good bridge pickups that would be good for all styles, and sound great and smooth, and do my tubes need replacing, as if they do, I could then use the amp's drive channel for rhythm - as it seems capable, but not pleasant, and I'd rather be sure then spend money on tubes I don't need, and I need that money for the OD pedal.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i'm not sure to be honest; have you tried other vc15s in shops (with a different guitar with different pickups) perhaps?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not sure to be honest; have you tried other vc15s in shops (with a different guitar with different pickups) perhaps?

Nope. I've never seen ANY amps by Laney in the shops near me.
They either have cheap starter ones or Marshall JVM full stacks or Mesa Dual rects.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
if you have a tube amp dont bother with a pedal the distortion on that should work fine... what type of preamp tubes do you have because the ax7's kick ass and sound amazing with distortion, as far as pickups active wouldnt be to bad seymour duncan livewires kick ass but im happy with my tb4's on my rr3...
It sounds like it could be the tubes (however, I am no expert). I have the same amp and a pretty much the same guitar, and get a very warm, pleasant drive sound. Also, try more EQing + adjustments of your tone knobs(s).
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
When you crank the master volume/power tubes, bring down the preamp a bit and see if that helps. As for pickups, you can't go wrong with DiMarzio - they seem to take well to Ibanez guitars. I'd recommend a DiMarzio Breed for the bridge, if you want a full, smooth sound.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by noregretsbitch
if you have a tube amp dont bother with a pedal the distortion on that should work fine... what type of preamp tubes do you have because the ax7's kick ass and sound amazing with distortion, as far as pickups active wouldnt be to bad seymour duncan livewires kick ass but im happy with my tb4's on my rr3...

Erm... I think you have no idea about anything really.

Quote by monkey_dancer
It sounds like it could be the tubes (however, I am no expert). I have the same amp and a pretty much the same guitar, and get a very warm, pleasant drive sound. Also, try more EQing + adjustments of your tone knobs(s).

Mine just sounds harsh. It's not terrible, but very harsh. I can;t turn up the gain or the bass just gets extreme, and it makes everything sound harsh at the same time. Playing a single note past the 12th fret is just extremely high and thin, but loud. Not a nice warm lead tone at all. Just manages a simple rhythm.
I don't have an EQ pedal yet (but I really need one), but using the amps EQ helps only a little. The tone knob is useful, but didn't really help. I guess new tubes are in order, now to diagnose which ones, unless they all need replacing.

Quote by DrNick
When you crank the master volume/power tubes, bring down the preamp a bit and see if that helps. As for pickups, you can't go wrong with DiMarzio - they seem to take well to Ibanez guitars. I'd recommend a DiMarzio Breed for the bridge, if you want a full, smooth sound.

Yeah, I've played it at low pre-amp. It was the first thing I did. I tried all combinations of pre-amp:master. I'll have to look at that pickup.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
If you're going to replace the tubes, I would go with Mullard 12Ax7's and a set of ElectroHarmonix EL84's. For pickups, I would recommend DiMarzio as well. Either a ToneZone, the Breed, or an Evo for the bridge. For the neck I would recommend an Air Norton, PAF Joe, or Evo. But thats just my two cents.
So, I should definitely change the tubes then.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Sounds like a tube change/ clean boost purchase is in order. A boost would tighten up the saggy bass response, and help your pickups out, while keeping the natural sound intact.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Sounds like a tube change/ clean boost purchase is in order. A boost would tighten up the saggy bass response, and help your pickups out, while keeping the natural sound intact.

Should I change the tubes first then?
Should I change them all, or only the pre-amp (as cleans are wonderful)?

I'll buy pedals afterwards.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 11, 2008,
where are your settings? for like 3 years after having my first 5150 i always wondered why mine didnt sound like my favorite bands... although i set my settings like theirs. And then i started really messing with my settings and turning my presence down instead of maxing it out and keeping my mids at the sweet spot and boom killer tone.
Quote by solidsnake15
where are your settings? for like 3 years after having my first 5150 i always wondered why mine didnt sound like my favorite bands... although i set my settings like theirs. And then i started really messing with my settings and turning my presence down instead of maxing it out and keeping my mids at the sweet spot and boom killer tone.

That's not really the problem. Plus I've played every combination of settings.

Just want to ask/say two things,

1) Just an idea, but do tubes need wearing in (I've read many times in other threads and they not really), so this shouldn''t be any form of problem.

2) I intend on buying these:
- http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?&tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Discrete+Semiconductors&tier3=Thermionic+Valves&tier4=EL84+Pentode+valve&moduleno=35353&catRef=47-4514 (the two pack)
- http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_12AX7EH.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle

Good choice? All goes to be under £50, which seems fine with me. So, after getting some new tubes, I should be able to get a more desirable tone?
I still intend on getting the HT-Dist, once I've got that, should all be good.
Although, should I replace the 12ax7 with the lower gain pre-amp tubes, allowing for nice low-gain cleans and rhythm, and use the pedal when I want to get dirty?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I had this exact same problem with my Laney VC30. So I sold it and bought a GH50L, and it's perfect The distortion on it is soooooooooo warm and fat, and the cleans aren't bad either. Beats my old VC30 in every way except reverb (GH has none).

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

Quote by DarylCooper
I had this exact same problem with my Laney VC30. So I sold it and bought a GH50L, and it's perfect The distortion on it is soooooooooo warm and fat, and the cleans aren't bad either. Beats my old VC30 in every way except reverb (GH has none).

I would love one of those lol.
But head + cab can be around £500, and the amp would be too loud for me to use at home, where I mainly play, and that has volume limits.
The VC is a good solution for my current needs, and if I want really high-gain tones, my computer has Guitar Rig 3, but I'm slowly going trying to get some nice overdrive/distorted tones on my Laney. In fact, some say it can do high-gain metal at lower volumes (pre-amp distortion + pedal), which is also good. I can play all styles all on my Laney (but nothing beats a mild overdriven lead tone).

In future, I intend on getting one, but my current needs say its overkill.#
Thanks for the suggestion, as its been noted.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO