Here's a build I'll be starting soon, hopefully tomorrow (if my parts come).

It's basically rehousing the boring, cheaply made Peavey footswitch into something more rigid, whilst incorporating a couple of extra features. It will have the two original amp controls; Channel and Boost, along with the two new controls - another boost (I'm making the beginners project on the diystompbox website) and an A/B switch (that will, for now, act as a kill switch until I have made a talk box, or have another amp!).

So, concept pictures!

Top is side view, bottom is a labelled top down view.

3D version... because I've been bored all day...

If anyone was wondering, the 'A' output on the A/B switch will run through the boost circuit before exiting out the 'A' output jack.

Couple of initial questions:

1. It would be a shame to rehouse the whole thing if the original footswitch was not improved on; I'm sure many people know about the delay experienced with Peavey footswitches (running a Valveking, at least); anyone know how to cure this problem? I'm sure I saw someone talking about using 3PTD's instead of the stock switches, but they didn't embelish enough for me to understand what they meant in my newb stages of electronics.

2. Does anyone know what kind of Jack is attached to a footswitch lead? Is it just a standard 1/4"?
I'll post on here with updates, questions, queries, etc.
Last edited by Mathamology at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by Mathamology
2. Does anyone know what kind of Jack is attached to a footswitch lead? Is it just a standard 1/4"?

I think you'll need a stereo lead.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by danielrobbyshor
I think you'll need a stereo lead.

Okay, If I were to just chop the end off the current footswitch lead (It's wired into the switch rather than plugged into a socket), what kind of plug and socket would I need?
Quote by Mathamology
Okay, If I were to just chop the end off the current footswitch lead (It's wired into the switch rather than plugged into a socket), what kind of plug and socket would I need?

You'd need a stereo jack because you need to use a TRS cable for the footswitch.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
So, I've been thinking about the finish this morning. Here's the decal I'm going to use on the front of the pedal:

I'm going to primer the box white first. I'm still undecided as to wether I should then paint it black on not. I'll clear coat after the decal is applied.
change the font to something more br00tal
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
change the font to something more br00tal

I'd say he's going for a loud kind of thing, and bold times is damn good for that. but, if you DID want to br00talize the font, change it into a peavey style font.
You could always just change the "boost 1" and "boost 2" designations to "br00tal" and "br00talz" respectively.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
The font is Impact

I used DrawPlus (watered down Corel Draw) for the decal pic. Used Maya for the 3D pic.

EDIT: Project is yet to start. I'll be making it once I've got all the components. In the mean time, if anyone could answer my first question, I'd be chuffed.
May I suggest an effects loop for each channel, that'd be really handy! Everything looks really good so far though.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
First things first;

Quote by Fuzzycows5157

*clears throat*

Quote by fortysix&2
May I suggest an effects loop for each channel, that'd be really handy! Everything looks really good so far though.

This is actually an excellent idea, as there are some effects I only use on the clean channel and vice versa. I'm going to incorporate this. Am I going to need a DPDT for this?
A Peavey tech told me cut out C124 to help with the delay. If you google it, you'll find it.
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Quote by Mathamology
First things first;

*clears throat*

This is actually an excellent idea, as there are some effects I only use on the clean channel and vice versa. I'm going to incorporate this. Am I going to need a DPDT for this?

Sorry man, I don't know that much about circuitry, I just know I'd want effects loops in there! Some of th guys here should help you out too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I think you could use a DPDT switch for the separate effects loops.
Use a common ground for all jacks, hot from guitar input jack goes to common lug on side A of DPDT switch, then is connected to one of the two other lugs on side A (depending on what position the DPDT switch is on, common is connected to one of the two other lugs), then from whatever lug comes a wire connected to the effects in jack hot lug (in other words signal flows from guitar to DPDT switch side A, then through the switch to one of the two effects loops in jack). Signal now flows through the effects loops and comes back in the other effects loop jack ("out"), and flows to amp A jack's hot lug (if the switch was in the position to send the signal to amp B jack, then the signal would flow through the DPDT jack, to the other effects loop (B), and then back to amp B jack). DPDT side B would be used for LED's.
I don't know if it would work, but I'm guessing it would (I have know experience with Peavey footswitches)

You'd have to find a way to make sure that if nothing is plugged in to the jacks, that there is still a connection to the amp jacks, though. I think you can do that with jacks with NC momentary switches built in.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Jul 16, 2008,
^ Thanks for taking the time out to do that for me! Is there a way to have the switch change between the effects loops for one amp (rather than Amp A and Amp B, as in your diagram)?

I guess I'm asking if theres a way to combine a channel switch with an A/B switch? So;

1) Press the switch

- Clean amp channel is selected
- Effects loop A is selected - Goes to output 'A'

2) Press the switch again

- Distorted amp channel is selected
- Effects loop B is selected - Goes to output 'A' (I will have an A/B switch on the board, but it won't be going to another amp, it will eventually lead to a talkbox; so I don't want any effects being channeled through output 'B').

Diagram:

I guess it's basically working two seperate circuits (the footswitch circuit, and the guitar > amp loop) into one switch. I presume it can be done somehow?

Though it's really an excellent idea, it all seems to be getting a bit too complicated for me in my early stages of electronics. I may skip this part, with a view to returning to it once I've worked everything out.
Quote by Mathamology
^ Thanks for taking the time out to do that for me! Is there a way to have the switch change between the effects loops for one amp (rather than Amp A and Amp B, as in your diagram)?

I guess I'm asking if theres a way to combine a channel switch with an A/B switch? So;

1) Press the switch

- Clean amp channel is selected
- Effects loop A is selected - Goes to output 'A'

2) Press the switch again

- Distorted amp channel is selected
- Effects loop B is selected - Goes to output 'A' (I will have an A/B switch on the board, but it won't be going to another amp, it will eventually lead to a talkbox; so I don't want any effects being channeled through output 'B').

Diagram:

I guess it's basically working two seperate circuits (the footswitch circuit, and the guitar > amp loop) into one switch. I presume it can be done somehow?

Though it's really an excellent idea, it all seems to be getting a bit too complicated for me in my early stages of electronics. I may skip this part, with a view to returning to it once I've worked everything out.

I'm not exactly sure how you would switch channels on an amp. You'd probably have to take a look at schematics or look to see what is connected to what whenever the switch is pressed, and based on that you could kinda figure out what you should wire. But I agree, this is pretty complicated if you don't have much understanding of channelswitching footswitches.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster