So I bought a nice new Peavey Classic 30 today as my first tube amp. I turned it on and it has quite a loud noise coming from it. Sort of like a buzzing but constant. Is this normal for a tube amp because I'm not sure as it's my first one? It gets worse as I turn the reverb up. It even has the noise when the volume is turned all the way down.
Thanks
is it like a hum, or like a buzzing? if it's a buzzing, i don't think it's meant to have that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Noted
So I bought a nice new Peavey Classic 30 today as my first tube amp. I turned it on and it has quite a loud noise coming from it. Sort of like a buzzing but constant. Is this normal for a tube amp because I'm not sure as it's my first one? It gets worse as I turn the reverb up. It even has the noise when the volume is turned all the way down.
Thanks

No that's not normal. You need to get that amp checked out. You bought it new so I assume you tried it at the store. Was it dropped hard on the way home? What happened?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Its more of a hum than buzzing. Almost like the amp is turned up loud but its not. It wasn't dropped and I didn't try it at the store as I was in a rush and it was all boxed up. I may have to take it back tomorrow.
yeah, don't do anything, don't open it or anything (as you might void the warranty), just take it back to see what the shop says.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Exactly. Take it back. Next time try before you buy, it's worth the time. Great amp, congrats.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks guys. So when you have your tube amps on, you hear nothing at all?
Correct, nothing on my two tube amps. (Some single coil hum with my strat, but that's expected with the shotty single coils I have in there). There is a little hum at high volume on my Delta Blues, again that is expected and I don't get to crank it all that often. *frowns*
You are not an idiot, what you are hearing does not sound right at all.
Yeah because it makes a noise even with no guitar plugged in. Right I'm taking it back tomorrow then
My C30 hums. Not loud, but noticeable. I haven't checked to see if it stills hums with the instrument cable unplugged. Plus there is a fluorescent light above it on the ceiling.
Mine for some reason makes a kinda hum clangy sound when i play one of the frets which is really weird. Only happens when I go post 4
Quote by Noted
Thanks guys. So when you have your tube amps on, you hear nothing at all?

i hear a slight mains hum, but not a buzz. and you can't hear it over playing.

also if using, say, single coils and playing near a TV which is on, i could pick up some noise.

But as i said, nothing like what you've described hearing. I know I tried a fender champion 600 tube amp in a store a few weeks' back, and it hummed/buzzed like mad, and the guys in the store said it must be faulty (i agreed that it didn't sound too healthy). I'm assuming that your classic 30 is making a similar type of noise.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My classic 30 hums alot when the reverb is on, so turn the reverb all the way down to test its not just a noisy reverb tank, and it might be the you have the boost button pressed?

That makes mine hum a little more too...
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
Quote by Noted
Yeah because it makes a noise even with no guitar plugged in. Right I'm taking it back tomorrow then

yeah, i mean at the very worst, they'll tell you it's normal. If it's as bad as you say, though, i'm not sure I'd accept "oh that's just normal" as an explanation, at least without a qualified tech checking it out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by esp1234
Mine for some reason makes a kinda hum clangy sound when i play one of the frets which is really weird. Only happens when I go post 4
That might be your EL84's rattling. I heard people talk about it happening on the C30 but never noticed on mine. I started playing it a cranked a little more and then I started hearing something weird as if the phone was ringing or people talking in the background while playing. After listening a little more intently and correlating it with my playing it sounded like the power tube rattle that I'd heard about.
Well I got a replacement this morning and the exact same problem. A pretty loud humming when the amp is on. I'm starting to think maybe they all sound like this but how can anyone put up with it when playing at home or in the studio??

I might just take it back and get a different amp which doesn't have the same problem. Can anyone recommend me any amps which are similar to the Classic 30?
Try moving the amp to a different room or different part of the room. It could be that you are picking up a signal from lighting or a television or something the like. Possibly the outlet you are plugging into for power has issues? Try that and let us know what happens.
It hums even with no guitar or anything plugged into the amp. Doubt it's the mains power either because it did the same in the guitar shop. The hum gets worse if I plug a guitar in and move it close to the amp (I'm guessing because of the pickups). I can't hear the hum when I'm playing, it's only when I'm not playing anything. It also gets worse when the gain and reverb is turned up.
Agree w/Gregs try amp in different location/room/outlet. Sounds like some kinda interference.
Quote by Noted
It hums even with no guitar or anything plugged into the amp. Doubt it's the mains power either because it did the same in the guitar shop. The hum gets worse if I plug a guitar in and move it close to the amp (I'm guessing because of the pickups). I can't hear the hum when I'm playing, it's only when I'm not playing anything. It also gets worse when the gain and reverb is turned up.

try some different outlets as mentioned. free outlets.
you said it buzzed in the store too (the second one)?
did you use your guitar at store or something else?
did you try your guitar thru different amps?
what guitar and pups do you have?
did you have your cell phone with you all of these time?
??
are you using single coils? how good cables?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well my Strat when I plug it into my amp and sit next to the comp on a certain switch it makes a buzz/humming sound. Also when I type on my wireless keyboard you can hear electronical tapping on the amp. Oh and right before I plug into my guitar you can hear the Radio through the amp.

It might be some interference.
Wherever I move it, it still hums. As I said, the cables and guitar make no difference because they're not plugged in and I've tried with them in a different room. Are there any hum reducing pedals you can get?
Hm, well perhaps you should get it checked. If you bought it new, I think you should return and get a new one. xD
How Loud do you have the amp turned up? Is it only buzzing on the the OD Channel? Sounds pretty normal if you have single coils pickups and the OD inguaged at a mid-high level, also, turn the boost off, if its enguaged it will make the amp more noisey and sound horible.
i think that hum sounds alright, to be honest. louder than one would like, but i don't think it's a sign of a fault. Could be wrong though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you had to turn it way up. you can hear mains noise, which is similar to the noise my engl makes when turned on (though a bit louder).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds like my single coils with OD.
Perhaps turn OD off.
If that still doesn't work I suggest you return and ask for a new one.