I need to know if this really is an issue. My singer wants to scoop the mids on my amp because it sounds darker and meaner (which is true), and he thinks the tone I'm using sounds like crap. To be honest I'm playing a Dean CFH at Drop Db through a Soldano Avenger and a 2x15 Vader cab. Trust me, my tone is very good. Only issue is that I can't turn the amp up enough to start pushing the tubes. I only need it at 2, but it's "too loud".
I notice a huge drop in crunch at lower volumes and therefore they don't understand that a mid-boosted set up can sound downright evil when pushed a little bit more.
They don't seem to understand that a guitar is a mid-range instrument and that natural GAIN is much better than a ton of added on distortion. I agree that scooped might be the may to go for recording sesions cause you can mix in as much of the guitar as you'd like, and back off the drums and bass, but live and practice is a different story.
I'm not asking everybody to agree with me, so I would like everyone's honest opinion. Thanks
I have scooped mids on my effects pedal and it sounds fine live Just make sure you keep some of the mids and you'll be fine.
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1
my penis has a restraining order against me because i beat it

Quote by Tom_hatton
Scooped mids just sound shit IMO.

+1
smaller amp. problem solved
Tell the singer to leave your amp alone... You're the guitar player, and you make the guitar tone... If he persists, explain to him thoroughly and slowly that you lose gain and crunch when scooping mids
Welcome To The End My Friend, The Sky Has Opened
Yes. Scooped mids sound horrible when you are playing with other people.
smack your singer for thinking he knows what a good guitar sound is.
give him a four hour lecture on tube saturation, with notes and a power point presentation.
and then smack him again.

btw nice rig
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
The guy at TTR who masters my music isn't happy with me, because I get rid of all my middle frequencies.

I just think it sounds so much cleaner and sharper, and there is a lot more contrast. Stops the sound from getting too busy. And it sounds amazing if you EQ a piano that way.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If he insists, don't scoop them ALL the way. Few players do. If you keep mids at about 4 or 5 and turn the bass up, you can get a mild scoop, enough to sound metallic, but not enough to be annoyingly piercing.

Some people can pull it off, others can't. I could never get a good scoop. I go for a good-sized midrange myself.
Quote by Lostprophets$$$
I have scooped mids on my effects pedal and it sounds fine live Just make sure you keep some of the mids and you'll be fine.

Yeah, you don't want Bass -10 Mids - 0 Treble - 10, it just sounds tinny.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
It does sound wicked to scoop the mids, and we are trying to get a heavy metal sound. But live and practice are where it counts. Wehaven't had a chance to play with a Bassist and a drummer at the same time yet, that's probably why he just doesn't understand.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
smack your singer for thinking he knows what a good guitar sound is.
give him a four hour lecture on tube saturation, with notes and a power point presentation.
and then smack him again.

btw nice rig

Thank you