Page 1 of 2
theyre bad, real bad, prepare to hear that alot
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
the tone itself is ok, but the way the T-Bird was built is just shameful. The neck is incredibly heavy, you have to support the weight with your fretting hand (which can be a nuisance on stage) and if you do not support it's weight, the neck literally does a nose dive which can damage the bass's neck when it hits the ground.

In short, unless you REALLY love a T-Bird's tone, I'd seriously recommend a different bass.
Quote by Another bassist
the tone itself is ok, but the way the T-Bird was built is just shameful. The neck is incredibly heavy, you have to support the weight with your fretting hand (which can be a nuisance on stage) and if you do not support it's weight, the neck literally does a nose dive which can damage the bass's neck when it hits the ground.

In short, unless you REALLY love a T-Bird's tone, I'd seriously recommend a different bass.

+1

Pretty much gives you that classic rock tone...and thats about it.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
i actually like heavy necks.. i have a les paul model guitar that has a rather heavy neck compared to my fenders...and i have gotten used to supporting it from that side... i prefer that neck over the fenders to be honest..

but how is the tone.. i never played one. i imagine they sound thicker because of the humbuckers.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
+1

Pretty much gives you that classic rock tone...and thats about it.

just about every 'classic rock' band uses fenders
Quote by pepsi1187

you could say that, i was saying it gives you that kind of tone. Even a P-bass is more versatile.

someone who's properly played one will elaborate

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by pepsi1187
i actually like heavy necks.. i have a les paul model guitar that has a rather heavy neck compared to my fenders...and i have gotten used to supporting it from that side... i prefer that neck over the fenders to be honest..

but how is the tone.. i never played one. i imagine they sound thicker because of the humbuckers.

here we go, dont defend a basses flaws bcoz u like it, unless u actually like the heavy neck but thats a rare thing to like, secondly i bought an epi sg bass coz i liked it.... i now hate it, also i used to dislike fender basses too but since then ive grown to love them coz they really are great, and they are the common choice of rock bands for a reason
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by pepsi1187

He means they give a very old fashioned, bland tone. None of the punch or growl of many modern basses.

The tone a Tbird is often described as muddy and/or bland. Really, it is not a great tone, let alone that for the price tag. Remember, these are minihumbuckers, not humbuckers. The tone is very different.

And be neck heavy, we mean that if you let go a of a Tbird, the neck will crash into the ground unless you wear it high enough/are tall enough so that it cannot physically reach the ground.

If you have never played one, how can you say you prefer the neck to that of the Fenders?

The Gibson version is so poorly designed, and the tone not nearly good enough to warrent anywhere near the price tag.

The Epiphone version has such bad physical flaws (neck dive, poor fret access etc) that it would make life hell for someone new to bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by CaptainJack666
here we go, dont defend a basses flaws bcoz u like it, unless u actually like the heavy neck but thats a rare thing to like, secondly i bought an epi sg bass coz i liked it.... i now hate it, also i used to dislike fender basses too but since then ive grown to love them coz they really are great, and they are the common choice of rock bands for a reason

no i DO like heavy necks... and i have a fender J bass. but I was going to look for something else... something cheap and different.
Quote by gm jack
He means they give a very old fashioned, bland tone. None of the punch or growl of many modern basses.

The tone a Tbird is often described as muddy and/or bland. Really, it is not a great tone, let alone that for the price tag. Remember, these are minihumbuckers, not humbuckers. The tone is very different.

And be neck heavy, we mean that if you let go a of a Tbird, the neck will crash into the ground unless you wear it high enough/are tall enough so that it cannot physically reach the ground.

If you have never played one, how can you say you prefer the neck to that of the Fenders?

The Gibson version is so poorly designed, and the tone not nearly good enough to warrent anywhere near the price tag.

The Epiphone version has such bad physical flaws (neck dive, poor fret access etc) that it would make life hell for someone new to bass.

thankyou

edit: on the neck thing, i can't see anyone that'd love having to fight to keep their bass upright. hell, my 6 string was pretty level and if it had a heavy neck it'd be impossible to play!

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by gm jack

i was comparing my electric guitars. i was comparing my epiphone to my fenders
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Jul 10, 2008,
The only plus is the fact its only £160! (on GAK anyway) But its such an awful bass, I tried one out and was astonished at how horrible it was, but I see how come people could like its tone, a bland tone could be a benefit for some people... I guess.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by pepsi1187
i was talking about my electric guitars..

So how would this apply to the bass in any way at all?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
So how would this apply to the bass in any way at all?

because one of my guitars has a heavy neck... and i prefer that neck over the rest of them. so maybe i will like a thunderbird neck
Quote by Sursomsatan

Hell theres a huge Thunderbird thread a page or so back
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
Hell theres a huge Thunderbird thread a page or so back

I remember that....

Jack almost killed me because I asked what kind of pups those things had....

Good times, eh?
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I played a Gibson Thunderbird about a week ago, it is the worst of all Gibson basses, even the Epiphone EB's are better, but pretty much all Gibson/Epiphone basses are crap.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
bad bass. you can't access the higher frets, the only thing it sounds good at is roots, and if you are playing roots all the time (I mean ALL the time)
1) I hate you
2) you may be easily replaced by an octave pedal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
and if you are playing roots all the time (I mean ALL the time)
1) I hate you

harsh but true
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by pepsi1187
because one of my guitars has a heavy neck... and i prefer that neck over the rest of them. so maybe i will like a thunderbird neck

We're not talking about the shape of the neck here. We're talking about the WEIGHT. I don't see why you would like an instrument that you would HAVE to hold up to stop from falling.

Oh yeah, this should go the the Thunderbird thread.
yeah i got a epiphone thunder bird goth, i pretty much regret buyin it, its neck is way to heavy, and its nearly impossible to play the hight frets when your standing up, you havre to support the neck and thats really hard to do when you have your playing near the 12-20 frets. it has a good feel to it thats the only thing it really has going for it. my first bass a squier p-bass that i payed a whole lot less makes about the same tone as the thunder bird
People usually hate their tone, but love their looks, but this only good looking thunderbird I've ever seen...

Slap a bass, not a ho.
i love my thunderbird, its a great weight for me and it doesn't mater if it falls. cause im like 6'3. the neck weight is just fine for me because it actrully fells lighter to me then it actrully is
Quote by mikeh1493
i love my thunderbird, its a great weight for me and it doesn't mater if it falls. cause im like 6'3. the neck weight is just fine for me because it actrully fells lighter to me then it actrully is

your spelling and opinion appall me.

even if you're tall, why would a bass be OK for falling down? it makes you work more for the same bland tone. and how does the neck weight make it feel lighter?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
It's hated on this forum, perhaps for good reason. Admittedly if there is one good thing about it, it's the looks, but even that's down to opinion. Not a musicians bass, by any means, but if you just want to strum root notes and look "cool" on stage, be my guest. if you actually want something with good tone in roughly the same price range, get a fender jazz or an entry level warwick, it'll serve you far better.
Quote by pepsi1187
i actually like heavy necks.. i have a les paul model guitar that has a rather heavy neck compared to my fenders...and i have gotten used to supporting it from that side

but neck is not just hevier, but unbalanced, in a les paul guitar you dont have to keep the neck from falling, in a tbird bass you have to keep your hand on the neck or it will fall really bad
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by slaptasticdave
Anyone think there should just be a sticky that says "Don't get a thunderbird"?

If they don't use the search bar, they won't read the stickies.
Quote by Yawsbass
If they don't use the search bar, they won't read the stickies.

But at least stickies are on the top of the page all the time. They don't have to read it, because "DON'T GET A THUNDERBIRD!!!!!111!!11ONE!ELEVEN111!" would be the title. They could then venture into the thread if they wanted reasons why not to get one.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I still have my thunderbird but I just recently got a Traben.

Even though I was a t-bird supporter here, I must say that the Traben pretty much is better in every way!
My main influence is Steve Harris, followed by Steve DiGiorgio
Check out my band Eyeshot at www.myspace.com/eyeshot1122
I play Bass and I'm damn proud of it.
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
But at least stickies are on the top of the page all the time. They don't have to read it, because "DON'T GET A THUNDERBIRD!!!!!111!!11ONE!ELEVEN111!" would be the title. They could then venture into the thread if they wanted reasons why not to get one.

But could you imagine all the threads titled: "I red the sticky but y no t-bird. lolz."
How long must this dead horse be beaten until it turns to dust.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
How long must this dead horse be beaten until it turns to dust.

Well, given infinitely many chances, it has a 100% chance of turning to dust before we even hit it.

There's a lesson there somewhere.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Seriously guys. We get it. The forum doesn't like Thunderbirds.
I'm not sure why the t-bird gets so much hate here, but whatever. People are still buying t-birds and gibson keeps making them so they must be doing something right.

Anyways.

Yes its neck heavy. It will hit the ground if you let go, get over it. Yes it's tone is more restricted than a p-bass. Maybe thats why you're not buying a p-bass.

Yes lots of people buy it for its looks, as they do with alot of guitars and basses.

Bottom line, its a bass, it has its faults, and you're probably still going to buy it even though everyone on this forum is telling you not to. Congratulations, you're not a drone and can make your own decisions.
Page 1 of 2