which is better, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 or Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100, the tsl has more features and if the dsl and tsl sound the same i will buy the tsl but what is the comparison in sound????
I think that they are just pretty much the same but the TSL has an extra channel which you might not need, so unless you need the third channel, get the DSL.
i was thinking maybe the tsl not just coz of the extra channel but (correct me if im wrong) the tsl 100 has a 25 watt mode which would be great as i play quite a bit at bedroom level and i like the sound of a cranked amp. but like i said if the dsl is better sounding then ill prob get a dsl 50 as if i need louder ill just mic it up
With the TSL, can you use three channels for clean, crunch and lead?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by jolleymuse
yer, those are the three channels, clean, crunch and lead, dsl has only clean and lead

In that case, the TSL would be what I would get.

They are both the same soundwise IIRC.
Maybe just try them out yourself.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
You won't be able to get a cranked sound out of 25 watts at bedroom levels. You can't crank a 5 watter and keep it to a reasonable volume.

I'd go for the DSL, the TSL I tried sounded like complete crap.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I would get neither and buy something a bit more worth the money.
If that marshall name werent on there im telling you it would be alot cheaper.
all i got to say is this, if your buying a marshall for less than 1600 new, well my friend it just isnt worth it, and its not a marshall
But yah the tsl is baisicly the same thing but with a few extras you really could do without get the DSL, use the extra cash on nw pups or pedals.
They're both equal to each other in that they both suck epic balls.

The TSL is worse, but both are bad.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
They're both equal to each other in that they both suck epic balls.

The TSL is worse, but both are bad.

Hahaha thats a pretty stupid statement, that just like saying the triple recto sucks, every amp has its own place in the sound pallete. There are points about the dsl i dont care for (which is only the bottom end) If they sucked epic balls then people like gary moore, trivium and such would'nt use them and then the marshall company would go under and be no more...........Its posts like that that make this forum retarted 99% of the time.

For the thread starter........If your into marshall and want good insight go onto marshallampforum.com. Allot of folks say that the lead channel on the tsl is voiced a little different...Many say that its a bit more ice pick on the highs and its not as fat of a tone.......And the dsl seems to have allot more beef to the mids. You can use the dsl like a three channel amp (you just share eqs) the clean channel has a clean mode and a crunch mode that gets a good old school type marshall tone and the lead channel 1 will get you a good plexi style tone all the way up to a hot rodded jcm800 level of breakup....The lead 2 channel brings you to a more modern scooped overdrive.......I personally favor the DSL. And with any new amp go to the damn store and play it for your self!
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
both are great amps. I prefer the TSL because of the three channels
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JaredFace
Hahaha thats a pretty stupid statement, that just like saying the triple recto sucks, every amp has its own place in the sound pallete. There are points about the dsl i dont care for (which is only the bottom end) If they sucked epic balls then people like gary moore, trivium and such would'nt use them and then the marshall company would go under and be no more...........Its posts like that that make this forum retarted 99% of the time.

For the thread starter........If your into marshall and want good insight go onto marshallampforum.com. Allot of folks say that the lead channel on the tsl is voiced a little different...Many say that its a bit more ice pick on the highs and its not as fat of a tone.......And the dsl seems to have allot more beef to the mids. You can use the dsl like a three channel amp (you just share eqs) the clean channel has a clean mode and a crunch mode that gets a good old school type marshall tone and the lead channel 1 will get you a good plexi style tone all the way up to a hot rodded jcm800 level of breakup....The lead 2 channel brings you to a more modern scooped overdrive.......I personally favor the DSL. And with any new amp go to the damn store and play it for your self!
No, it's like saying that sucks. The hell with you, saying i'm retarded Gary Moore uses JCM2000s? Really? That's news to me if he does. I wonder how much he was paid to. I would never. Mainly because they suck epic balls.

You can paint it up any way you want, it's all just advertising. I say it's bad, you say it has a 'unique tonal pallette.' I say mud, you say 'midrange beef.'

I dislike them because they sound bad, are overpriced, have appalling stock setups, are not accurate to vintage tones, are not particularly fantastic for modern tones either, and would not sell if they did not have the gold panel and white script logo.
Quote by JaredFace
Hahaha thats a pretty stupid statement, that just like saying the triple recto sucks

TSLs suck.

Triple rectos suck.

Spot the difference.

My Music
Once again your incorrect. Tone is a preference. Has nothing to do with advertising, unless your an idot that does not try stuff before purchase. I personally dig the tone of a DSL50 as well as the price I got it for. If you don't like the tone of the DSL...fine! It is an opinion board. But other folks have the right to their opinion - even if it is not the "popular" bandwagon opinion.

Quote by MrCarrot
No, it's like saying that sucks. The hell with you, saying i'm retarded Gary Moore uses JCM2000s? Really? That's news to me if he does. I wonder how much he was paid to. I would never. Mainly because they suck epic balls.

You can paint it up any way you want, it's all just advertising. I say it's bad, you say it has a 'unique tonal pallette.' I say mud, you say 'midrange beef.'

I dislike them because they sound bad, are overpriced, have appalling stock setups, are not accurate to vintage tones, are not particularly fantastic for modern tones either, and would not sell if they did not have the gold panel and white script logo.
Quote by damnedone
Once again your incorrect. Tone is a preference. Has nothing to do with advertising, unless your an idot that does not try stuff before purchase. I personally dig the tone of a DSL50 as well as the price I got it for. If you don't like the tone of the DSL...fine! It is an opinion board. But other folks have the right to their opinion - even if it is not the "popular" bandwagon opinion.
Once again YOU'RE doing something stupid in that you have done some silly silly things.

I fail to see how you don't see how you present things is proportional to your own opinion.

And yes, you do have the right to an opinion. However I will disagree with it, and go against it when it comes to advising people on what to get.

Oh, and don't talk to me about bandwagons
I have done some "silly things?" Haha. What would be silly is a Mr. Carrot jumping into a stew.

You can advise people to whatever end you want! It would just be refreshing to actually hear some original thought...and not the same old Marshall Sucks...blah blah blah.

Quote by MrCarrot
Once again YOU'RE doing something stupid in that you have done some silly silly things.

I fail to see how you don't see how you present things is proportional to your own opinion.

And yes, you do have the right to an opinion. However I will disagree with it, and go against it when it comes to advising people on what to get.

Oh, and don't talk to me about bandwagons
Marshalls dont suck(well the TSL and DSL do IMO), its just there to damned overpriced especially the TSL AND DSL.

IF i had a Crae V-50 next to a marshall DSL or TSL id probly take the crate call me stupid or poor or whatever i would just take the crate, or a classic 30 but thats just me i guess.
Quote by damnedone
What would be silly is a Mr. Carrot jumping into a stew.
HOMG UR MAZIN WIT AN INTERLECTS HAV ME IN STICHES LOL LOL

Oh and as it goes, I never said 'Marshall sucks.'
Quote by MrCarrot

LOL U JUST DID MY ARGUMENT IS SUPERIOR

My Music
Wow, I can make BIG text! My brain hurts trying to even understand you. Time for me to move on, but thanks for making the average person feel much more intelligent!

Quote by MrCarrot

Quote by damnedone
My brain hurts trying to even understand you.

This, kids, is why you should never use sarcasm on an imbecile.

My Music
Quote by damnedone
Wow, I can make BIG text! My brain hurts trying to even understand you.
Is that because you're clearly such an idiot?
Quote by damnedone
Time for me to move on, but thanks for making the average person feel much more intelligent!
No, thank you. Oh wait, i'm not average. I'm better than you.

We can all play the arrogant card, imbecile.

+1 to Tim.
This is ridicolus, I respect ur opinion mr carrot (and timi hendrix) cause its seems like you guys are attached at the hip on most threads. But when someone asking hey man what do you think would be better A......OR.....B its not your place to come in and say "oh they all suck major balls blah blah" If you dont have any good input to put in other than sarcasim and meaningless garble then dont post its that simple. What makes you think you have all the answers when you only been playing guitar for a couple of years? Ya'll need to grow up and stop bitching back and forth.
DSL sounds better than the TSL imo, I don't know what was required to add the extra channel, but it didn't benefit tonally. For all you guys saying the DSL sucks, not my favorite amp, but maybe you're doing it wrong? This is a friend of mine using an unmodded DSL100.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=127874&content=songinfo&songID=6587551
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
listen to this clip and honestly tell me that marshall sucks...................that and it helps when the player knows what hes doin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XwjTcZ52M
Last edited by JaredFace at Jul 10, 2008,
Aside for the main difference of channels. Sound wise, the TSL gain has a bit more sizzle to it. And a more touchy treble knob.

The DSL has a flatter eq curve. Not to say you cant scoop or boost, It just doesnt have a steep mid or high boost.

Both cleans are typical marshall clean. With the JVM out now you can find DSL and TSL's for pretty cheap.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
I don't understand why this is the only forum that repeatedly bashes the JCM2000 series...

Personally, I prefer the DSL over the TSL.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
I don't understand why this is the only forum that repeatedly bashes the JCM2000 series...QUOTE]

cause 60% of the posters are 16 years olds that still havent developed into a good guitarist and marshall amps in general are organic so if the players sucks the amps going to sound 100x's worse vicea versa. so they write it off that there horrible. I was the same way 12 years ago, I just had more respect for people who had more experince than I.
Quote by jolleymuse
i was thinking maybe the tsl not just coz of the extra channel but (correct me if im wrong) the tsl 100 has a 25 watt mode which would be great as i play quite a bit at bedroom level and i like the sound of a cranked amp. but like i said if the dsl is better sounding then ill prob get a dsl 50 as if i need louder ill just mic it up

I took a look at the manual and I dont think it goes down to 25 watts. I could have missed something but the manual at marshalls site didnt list anything thing like this. I apoligize if im wrong
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
SHiot!!! I just played that clip using heaphones...started out all quiet and mellow and then.....BAM!!! LOL! Great Clip BTW!

Quote by Erock503
DSL sounds better than the TSL imo, I don't know what was required to add the extra channel, but it didn't benefit tonally. For all you guys saying the DSL sucks, not my favorite amp, but maybe you're doing it wrong? This is a friend of mine using an unmodded DSL100.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=127874&content=songinfo&songID=6587551