I've been bitten by the bug of making a completely custom guitar, and hopefuly getting the same quality/sound of a $1300 guitar for around $300. Actually, the list of parts I've compiled is about $330. I just need to know if I have all the parts I need to actually make the full guitar, and an interesting question about the electronics... Anyways, on to the list. Just let me know if there is anything I'm missing to build a complete Tele. Thanks.

Body
Neck
Pickup set
Bridge
Neck plate
Control plate
Strings
Output jack/cup
String retainer
Bridge pickup screw/spring set
Pickguard
Gotoh locking tuners
100 ft. guitar connecting wire
4 knurled tele knobs

Now, here's the reason I'm getting four, or atleast I think I will: I thought it'd be interesting to put This in the guitar, and drill some extra holes in the control plate. I figure because the Les Paul and the Tele (obviously) both have two pickups, I could wire this so there would be a seperate Volume and Tone for each pickup, as opposed to one global volume and tone. So basically, my questions are: Do I have all the parts I need to build a complete guitar, and will the Les Paul wiring set up work? Thanks to all answers.
Do u have a switch?

Edit: If your building a custom you should do a little more with it. Install like a booster switch or a pre-amp or something.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
Last edited by Dr LeBrun at Jul 10, 2008,
the switch is included in the Les Paul pot/switch set, and I dunno if I'd have room for a booster switch lol.
The LP set up would work, but I'm not sure if you could fit all the controls on the plate. Then again, if you're using an uncut plate like on GuitarFetish, you might be able to since you'd be using the toggle switch.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
first off, not to be negative, but you won't get a $1300 quality guitar for $330, the quality of the guitar is dependent on the quality of the parts that make it, in addition to how well they are put together and set up. if you're buying GFS parts for example, your guitar isn't gonna sound like a fender custom shop. if you want better quality, you might want to save a little and go for some high quality hardware (fender licensed stuff, some nice pickups, maybe glendale or callaham bridge/saddles, etc.)

moving on to the les paul wiring, you should try a '72 tele custom pickguard, it is made for two volume two tone and a 3 way toggle like a les paul.
^ +1. The control plate would be something you'd have to work with. The pickguard already has it set up for it, and I do like the HxT set up; it's what I'll be doing when I get enough money for my Tele build, though I'll be using the normal pickguard.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. Eh, I'm not expecting $1300 quality out of a $300 guitar, but still. and I thought about a pickguard like that, but I just don't really like the look as much, and there'd be extra routing/wiring to do. Besides, I really like the look of four knobs on a Tele. Well, for the most part I'm doing this as something to replace my current guitar (artcore, it's eh), and to gain experience working with guitars.
I was going to buy almost all my hardware from GF, but it turns out Warmoth had cheaper hardware and it's probably better quality, so you might want to look into that. I bought pots from GF a few weeks ago and I don't see anything bad about them, so they'd still be fine if you wanted to get Alpha, though CTS are of higher quality. I'd say go with the uncut control play from GF and cut it to have the toggle and 4 knobs, I think it would look pretty cool. I'd love to see how this turns out for you.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ