Well, I've never been taught theory in my life. Or, at least, if I have, it was through playing, not told, and I don't know that I know it.

A few months ago, my guitar teacher recommended a book to me, and I got it. But then my room got cleaned and it went missing. I recently found it, and now I'm trying to go through it (the book is Practical Theory For Guitar by Don Latarski). I started reading today, and so far I think I've learned some stuff.

But since I've never been taught, I thought I'd come here to double check myself.. And to maybe list out some stuff that might help other new people, if they haven't looked at it like this (which they probably have).

So, if anyone would like to help me out here, this is what I've gotten so far..

--A diminished perfect 4th is a major 3rd.
--An augmented major 3rd is a perfect 4th.
--Augmented major 7th is perfect unison(8th)
--Diminished minor 2nd is unison
--Diminished minor 6th is a fifth.
--Diminshed minor 7th is major 6
--Diminished minors are double flatted majors
--Inverting intervals makes them opposite.
  -Perf -> perf
  - Maj -> Min
  - Min -> Maj
  - Aug -> Dim
  - Dim -> Aug
--Subtract interval # from 9 to get inverted #

Any of this right? lol
Last edited by Garb at Jul 10, 2008,
You need to know that an augmented 3rd may produce the same tone (fancy name is: enharmonic) as a perfect 4th but they are not necessarily the same thing. The same thing goes with the others on the list. I really don't see the point of all of that.

You have your inversions right.

Edit: You may like this article: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jul 10, 2008,
'Diminished minor 6th is octave'

wrong. perfect eighth is an octave.

and i don't think you call diminished or augmented chords major or minor. they are just either diminished or augmented. i think.
Quote by RCalisto

and i don't think you call diminished or augmented chords major or minor. they are just either diminished or augmented. i think.

There are nicer ways to point out mistakes, c'mon man.

Nobody mentioned chords either?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
There are nicer ways to point out mistakes, c'mon man.

Nobody mentioned chords either?

ok. intervals. there are no diminished / augmented minor/major intervals.

he asked a question, i answered him. what's wrong with that?
you want me to sorry you're wrong it's not like that it's like this

is that how i should do it?
Quote by RCalisto
ok. intervals. there are no diminished / augmented minor/major intervals.

he asked a question, i answered him. what's wrong with that?
you want me to sorry you're wrong it's not like that it's like this

is that how i should do it?

Well, saying "wrong" like that is a little intimidating. Something like "well, not quite" or of that nature is a little more friendly.

What do you call the bb7 in a diminished 7 chord?

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i've done my part here. i won't argue with you about anything. and i don't have to prove myself to you. end of conversation.
God forbid a discussion.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by RCalisto

What I meant when I said that was, if you take a m6th interval (say, a C under a G#) and diminish it (this is probably the wrong thing to say, I'm just trying to get used to terminology... I mean lower it a half-step), it's C&G... Which is obviously a fifth... And you could invert that into a perfect fourth... Correct?

I have no clue why I said octave. Sorry about that. Thanks for fixing me. lol
Quote by 12345abcd3
He was walking away from the argument, which shows he's more grown up than you.

It wasn't an argument. It was a simple discussion.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^ oh the joy of forums. It's always nice to be able to put a face and voice to the name....I'm sure we're all really nice ppl! but it's hard to appear that way through the keyboard.

RAAA! Don't do it like that, do it like this!
Quote by metal4all
What do you call the bb7 in a diminished 7 chord?

It's a diminished 7th, therefore not a major or minor interval.

I think the point RCalisto was making is that you can diminish a minor interval and augment a major interval but you shouldn't call something a "diminished minor 7th" or whatever. I think TS gets this, but like he said he's still getting used to the terminology.
Last edited by Eirien at Jul 11, 2008,