Well, I have this modem, which is some speed stream I got when I decided to hook up to the web. It's done it's job, and quite well. However, I'm gaming online, and I'm also on an LAN. I've bought a switch, which helped significantly and my network isn't as congested anymore, however when traffic is heavy such as during the day, I lag a lot. Well, you get the point.

Is there anything out there that could perhaps help this, and make stop the lag? The only time it doesn't lag is usually in the late night or early morning, which by that time I'm usually sleeping.

Thanks.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Assuming that it's local traffic using up your bandwidth, a router (as opposed to a switch) with QoS (quality of service) controls would help. You can limit / prioritise network traffic with this.

If it's remote traffic (ie other people on the net using the same ISP as you), then there wouldn't be much you can do.
Thats just the usual network lag, are you on cable or DSL? if cable it's bound to do that as the block shares one main cable. if DSL then its the same kinda idea (individual phone lines but one exchange centre).

I fail to see how the switch helped though, i guess its taking a load away from the router when things are happening internally, but unless you try a better router and see if it helps then theres nothing you can do, sorry.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I got the switch just so I wouldn't have to keep switching cords around. I'm sure it's local traffic, as people in the town and city have the same ISP and phenomenal speeds.

Anything you'd recommend?
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

i don't know, if you go to someone who had the same isp and see how slow it is on their end at peak times you can see if its your line.

unless someone on your lan is doing some major downloading. try connecting just your pc to the router and nothing else.

might even be windows itself, my friend has a PC thats dog slow on the internet, yet their pc upstairs is nice and quick, just because they haven't cleaned the pc up in almost FOREVER

Quote by metaldud536

Well, I'm gaming on an Xbox, as well as a Wii. Sorry for not saying that. =\

I could try it at a friend's house, it may be just my line.

I could replace the cords, and get a new router, as I have yet to do so. Which is a reliable brand for routers?
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

I dunno, netgear? i've got an asus switch and a creative labs router (yea, old school!) and they're holding out well!

Quote by metaldud536