Page 1 of 2
Are lyrics important for a song? Also can you tell what the lyrics are about without looking up the lyrics? Sometimes its hard to focus on the lyrics when im just listening to song, since the music is what really gets me a bit more, plus its hard to understand the words from the singer.
Yes and no. Good lyrics can make a song great, bad lyrics make a ok song sux, and anything in between doesn't matter though.
I appreciate good lyrics when they're there, but more important to me is the music.
If a song has a good tune, but stupid lyrics, I might still like it.
If it has amazing poetry, but no good music, I won't like it. There's gotta be something to listen to.

One of my friends listens pretty much exclusively to lyrics...I find that a bit odd.

I often have trouble understanding lyrics, even when they're sung in a perfectly clear voice (like Queen, for example). I like to have the little booklet that comes with the album with lyrics in it.
Its gotta have goob music as well, but I do pay attention to lyrics. I can sing most of my favourite songs, just by listening to them.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by sashki
I appreciate good lyrics when they're there, but more important to me is the music.
If it has amazing poetry, but no good music, I won't like it. There's gotta be something to listen to.

One of my friends listens pretty much exclusively to lyrics...I find that a bit odd.

I often have trouble understanding lyrics, even when they're sung in a perfectly clear voice (like Queen, for example). I like to have the little booklet that comes with the album with lyrics in it.

Dead on balls accurate...
I'm really awesome with them, sometimes i can actually know what they are gonna say before they say it, like just by quickly thinking what rhymes and how it would fit in the context of the song.
I usually don't pay attention to lyrics the first couple times I hear a song. I'm also not too much concerned about the lyrics if it is not part of a concept album. Sometimes I'll go through the lyrics to get the just of a song or artist/band. It all depends. Sometimes songs with no lyrics say much more.
if the song speaks to me, with catchy beats and guitar parts then something will catch my ear.
it depends what kind of mood i'm in and what kind of music i'm listing to.
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
Some songs, the lyrics make them extra special, such as In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.

However, if the music is good enough, the lyrics won't detract.
i like lyrics when they're great. but if all music was instrumental id be perfectly happy with that too. if i wanted lyrics i'd just read poetry. i listen to music for the music...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Sometimes it matters but sometimes it doesnt. I will listen to the lyrics in a gnr song but something like arch enemy or cannibal corpse Im not paying as much attention to the lyrics, I listen more to the music.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I listen to music for the music, and lyrics don't take anything away from music whatsoever to me. I'll notice good lyrics, but bad lyrics won't change my opinion of a song.
If the lyrics are decent, I'm fine.
but an amazingly musical song with sucky lyrics just won't do it for me.
Amazing lyrics really get me going though
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
I can when the awsome factor of the instruments doesn't over power it. Most singer songwriters or piano pop-rock bands fall into this category. But if you put the average rock song in front of me I would probably tune the lyrics (not the vocal melody) out without meaning to.
Sometimes I do, but sometimes I just listen to the sound of the singing with the rest of the music.
I think the music draws me into the song more than lyrics but I also think lyrics are important, it depends on the music style to, if I wanna get pumped I listen to the music more but if I'm chilling I like good lyrics
I listen to the music mainly. Most of the music I listen to is black/death, so you cant even tell what the lyrics are without looking at them anyway.
I try to listen to everything in the song, its all equally important to the song as a whole.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
I usually do pay attention, but I don't think lyrics necessarily need to be important. It depends on what the artist is going for. AC/DC, for example, used to write lyrics jokingly, as they thought that the music was the important part as opposed to the word (See "Big Balls")
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Lyrics are my favourite part of music, no matter what song I'm listening to. People always talk about emotion in music, and lyrics are obviously the most effective way to get emotion across. The reason The Weakerthans are my favourite band is pretty much due to their lyrics. When I listen to a song like Sounds Familiar, it almost brings a tear to my eye, because the wording is so beautiful.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
if the lyrics doesn't matter then it's just another pop song, like 50 cent for example, his music is lyrically abscent. atleast the meaning of it. It's all about beat.

Whenever I hear a new song the first thing I pay attention to is the lyrics.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by sashki

couldn't agree more
id rather have great lyrics and just an acoustic guitar playing 3 chords (ala bob dylan) than some technical masterpieace with ****ty or no lyrics.

but i think im the minority in that one
Quote by on a jet
id rather have great lyrics and just an acoustic guitar playing 3 chords (ala bob dylan) than some technical masterpieace with ****ty or no lyrics.

but i think im the minority in that one

I like medleys (songs with no lyrics) they are great for several moods and also cruising.

However if I can, I avoid ****ty lyrics completely regardless of the riffing being badass.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by Gunpowder
AC/DC, for example, used to write lyrics jokingly, as they thought that the music was the important part as opposed to the word (See "Big Balls")

Although AC/DC did have some humourous songs, I think that for their style of music, they wrote some pretty good lyrics. It's not poetry, but it gets the point across. Look at Highway to Hell, for example. I think those lyrics are simple, but effective.
i would if i could understand them. whenever i have them i do pay attention to them and laugh because of what i thought i heard and what the singer actually sang.
Quote by CliffIsAngry
I like medleys (songs with no lyrics) they are great for several moods and also cruising.

However if I can, I avoid ****ty lyrics completely regardless of the riffing being badass.

yeah i lke medleys to, typically not metal ones though. But i like great lyrics better
most musicians focus more on the music and not the lyrics
most regular ppl focus on lyrics

however, I appriciate both, but good lyrics are not a must for me.

I mean, the song I'm listening to right now goes. "Heroes of the night are calling. See the promised land is forming, reaching for the powers deep inside...all through the night."
I hardly ever listen to the lyrics. If I hear music I'll hear the tune of the singing, but I don't take in the actual words. Unfortunantly that means I don't know any lyrics from any songs now, which will make it extra hard when it comes to singing and playing guitar.
TRANSFORMICE

Quote by MetalMusicianAl
i would if i could understand them. whenever i have them i do pay attention to them and laugh because of what i thought i heard and what the singer actually sang.

Haha! That always happens to me. I think the singer says something, then I look it up and i was way off.
Lyrics don't really matter, I like to think of the vocalist as another instrument. But when a song has no singer, it doesn't sound right.
Page 1 of 2