Okay, so I have a, possibly, 1950's flying V. It's got both the Gibson and Epiphone names printed on the head, and that's why I have this feeling. I was talking to a buddy at work, and his friend, who owns several vintage Gibsons, claims that it could be worth up to $30,000. Am I dreaming, or is this really true? I've seen guitars go for up to $60,000, and I could totally believe that it's plausible.
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Gibson/Epiphone Flying V 1967
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Yeah, I'm at work right now, but I'll take some pics tonight and post 'em.
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
From le Wikipedia:

Gibson first manufactured prototypes of the guitar in 1957. They were made of korina wood, a trademarked name for limba, a wood similar to but lighter than mahogany. (Korina, originally spelled 'Korena', is the name that has been given to certain types of African Mahogany.) This Flying V, along with the Futura (Explorer) and, initially, the Moderne, made up a line of modernist guitars designed by Gibson's then-president Ted McCarty. These designs were meant to add a more futuristic aspect to Gibson's image, but they didn't sell well. After the initial launch in 1958, the line was discontinued by 1959.
It certainly can't be a '57, cos flying V's weren't put on the market till '58.

What does it look like? Can you describe the features or find a similar pic? I have a guitar mag which explains the history of Flying V's
it looks like you could be one lucky bastard, but I wouldn't sell it if I were you
Quote by Big City Nights
Okay, so I have a, possibly, 1950's flying V. It's got both the Gibson and Epiphone names printed on the head, and that's why I have this feeling. I was talking to a buddy at work, and his friend, who owns several vintage Gibsons, claims that it could be worth up to $30,000. Am I dreaming, or is this really true? I've seen guitars go for up to $60,000, and I could totally believe that it's plausible.

However a lot of Epiphones have Gibson truss rod covers, if that is what you mean.
I don't think it would say Epiphone either.. Gibson didn't buy Epiphone untill the 70s or 80s I think.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I doubt its a '57, because gibson didn't buy out epiphone until late 1957. By then the 1958 models should have been coming out. Not saying its not a 50's, but its not a '57.

EDIT: No way its a '57, Gibson didn't launch the V's till 58 and they were discontinued in '59.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Jul 10, 2008,
Okay, so it's more likely a '58, but still, one year later. And yes, Epiphone was bought in '57, I've heard that from lots of people. So then, one of the only explanations is that it's a '58. Sashki, it looks like a regular Gibson V, but the head doesn't have the white part, and there's only a volume knob and tone knob, with selector switch.
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Not quite. I'll have to put up pics tonight. I've tried Googling and such, but can't find it on the web. Same with my other guitar.. :S
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Where is the selector switch located?

EDIT: the 57 and 59 v's looked like so:
Smaller pickguard than today's models, output jack located on the tip of the lower extension. 3 knobs, and was string thru. They didn't make it with tailpieces in 58 ot 59.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Jul 10, 2008,
Between the two knobs.
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Quote by Big City Nights
Not quite. I'll have to put up pics tonight. I've tried Googling and such, but can't find it on the web. Same with my other guitar.. :S

Well that was a 1958.
Yeah, but that one also says that it's only a Gibson. Trust me, it looks different, the jack goes into the front of the guitar, sort of similar to that, then closer to the neck, there's two knobs with the switch in between.
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Epiphone weren't making cheaper Gibson models in the 1950's, they didn't start doing that until the 70's so I'm afraid you don't have a rare or valuable guitar, it's probably just a 58 reissue
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Big City Nights
Yeah, but that one also says that it's only a Gibson. Trust me, it looks different, the jack goes into the front of the guitar, sort of similar to that, then closer to the neck, there's two knobs with the switch in between.

Sorry buddy, its not a '50s V. You might have a '67 if you're lucky, but you might just have a guitar.
Quote by steven seagull
Epiphone weren't making cheaper Gibson models in the 1950's, they didn't start doing that until the 70's so I'm afraid you don't have a rare or valuable guitar, it's probably just a 58 reissue

The way he describes the knobs and stuff doesn't match the '58 reissue though.

I think, THINK that the '67 I posted comes the closest so far, with the switch between the knobs.
Quote by TheProducer
This one? This is a '67 Epiphone:

Dude, that's exactly what it looks like... Damn. I thought it must've been older. Why do they have both names on the headstock?
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Quote by Big City Nights
Dude, that's exactly what it looks like... Damn. I thought it must've been older. Why do they have both names on the headstock?

My acoustic Epi and cheap LP-100 both said Gibson on the truss rod cover. Just the way they do it.

The pic is from here, where it's selling for 4,195 Kr -- I have no idea what country or currency it is.

http://www.myhrbraaten.no/index.php?cPath=7_92
Hahaha, my buddy from work was trying to buy it off me, and didn't mention how one of his friends thought it was worth a lot. I'm guessing this is worth like $500 now... And he still wants to buy it as a "Show guitar." :P So I might just have to sell it to him for a little steaper than I bought it. xD
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Thanks for the help guys, especially TheProducer. I'm going to look into what I could get for it, and yeah, still try and pawn it to my friend from work for a little extra cash. I never play the thing, 'cause I'd just rather my ESP
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Google says that 4,195 Kr is 697.60 dollars.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Here:

4,195 Norwegian Kroner = 818.735 US Dollar

4,195 US Dollar (USD) = 21,494.2 Norwegian Kroner (NOK)
Well that's awesome. So it's roughly 1.5x what I paid. :P
Looks like I'll make some profit off this one
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
...and I'm too slow. But Pyrofretnic is correct. RoamingConflict, I think there are a few different Kroners for different countries.
Sweet guys, thanks again. I'll pretend that I still don't know how much the price is on this beast, because my friend, who thought it was $30,000 didn't tell me that. I heard from another friend at work. AHAHAHA. So I'm gonna' be like, "Oh, I heard they're going for like $900 or something.. *rolls eyes*"
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Yes that's probably it, TheProducer. Anyways... Big City Nights, i hope that you'll get some nice profit from that guitar, assuming that it's in quite a good shape.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
One tiny scuff on it, that's about it.
GEAR;
ESP V-350
Fender FM65R
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver