Saw a genuine Gibson LP for £899 In Cranes in Cardiff today. Seems like a baragin to me, so I might be getting it on the weekend.

So UG, is this too good to be true? what stuff should I be asking them about the guitar? Basically, how are they trying to screw me over?

Cheers in advance.
Zeppelinism Extremist, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

...and the victim screameth, saying "Hast thou not heard of elastoplast?!"
it'll depend exactly what les paul it is

ive seen some online for like 600 quid

i'll try and find a link...
Well... Since I haven't seen the guitar, I can't tell you what kind of Paul it is. There are some Les Pauls out there selling for 899 brand new. Such as the Vintage Mahogany/Menace (i think)

My suggestion, go on musicians friend. Look through all the Gibson Les Pauls, until you find which one it is. Check the price on it.

Also, DO NOT buy just because it is a "genuine gibson" You need to buy what sounds and feels the best to YOU!

Do some research on it before you buy it man!
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by cmonaco
There's definately no bargain to be had at 900 pounds.

Haha true I suppose. And yeah I don't intend on walking in, picking it up and buying it, there will be some playing done. However a large number of the guitarists I listen to play these, so I know I'll be at least in the right ballpark

Sorry guys but I don't know what type it is, I probably couldnt tell you any details from memory, i was, naively as it turns out, mesemerised by the price. I'm still amazed at how cheap they get online, and obviously should have come to you people sooner

Quote by slashrock94
Mine was bartered down to £600, which is less than £899.

Um...yes....?

It won't be a Standard or Classic that's for sure. Went down to Denmark Street the other day and saw a Studio for roughly around £800.
Again, excuse my ignorance, but Studios are jus the norm Gibsons without the frills, the more cosmetic stuff? Which I can live without. Thanks for the replies guys, I'm learning.

Quote by Daitrying
Again, excuse my ignorance, but Studios are jus the norm Gibsons without the frills, the more cosmetic stuff? Which I can live without. Thanks for the replies guys, I'm learning.

Thats what they say, but it doesnt sound as good either imo, and quality control wise a bit more hit and miss
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Thanks, so anything specific I should be looking out for, especially anything that could be spotted while trying it out in the shop.

Aim for a standard if u really want a gibson LP, play it, check for sound, finish and everything you do for any guitar
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Really try to get used to the neck, and how it feels. If you can't manage to adjust your playing to be able to play like you do on your own guitar, then I would look elsewhere. Because it won't be comfortable for you in the long run. If you are buying a new guitar that costs more than your guitar, it should be a lot easier to play for you. Also check for any signs that it will sound muddy/too trebly when you take it home. Try to find an amp in that shop that is really similar to yours, and play it for a while. If it doesn't feel right, I would recommend not buying it. And don't be biased against other guitars in that shop just because one is a Gibson. Oh, and also remember to play it for a little bit while unplugged, to hear the guitar's resonance, and natural tone.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Ah ok thanks everyone. What I was really looking for is any well known tricks that gibson tries to pull on their cheaper Les Pauls, and as there don't seem to be any I'll just go through the usual stuff.

If I remember I'll post whether I get it or not, thanks again.

Quote by Daitrying

Yes and no. Gibson will tell you that if you ask them, but there's more to it. The quality control is worse, the wood is poor and the finish is, most the time, poorly done. Try an compare an LP standard or Classic to a Studio. You'll get my point
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Ofcourse the Les Paul Studio is less labour intensive and essentially 'cut corners' in a lot of department. I think it's actually wrong to claim that the Studio model is just like a higher-end Les Paul without the fancy cosmetic work. The differences are definitely there and some surely will effect the sound and tonality of the guitar.
Obviously the most obvious difference is in the choice of pick ups. Of course this area is more of a preference area, but unlike the Burstbucker Pros installed on Standard models, the Studio houses 490R and 498T humbuckers and the differences in tonality are definitely present.
Also one major difference that aren't that publicised between the two is the actual thickness of the body. I only found out when personally comparing the two side by side. The Studio body is actually quite notably shallower than the Standard.
The other lacking areas include more cosmetic features such as binding for body and neck, pearl inlay Gibson logo, graded maple top etc.
But make no mistake the two guitars are totally different beasts and tonally are also very different. But I just can't seem to get out of my head that Gibson have cut alot of unneccessary corners that actually compromise the quality of this instrument.
So how do Epiphones stack up against Gibson Studios?

Quote by Daitrying
So how do Epiphones stack up against Gibson Studios?
An Epiphone Elitist will cost the same as a Gibson Studio, but actually are about the quality of a Gibson Standard/Classic, sometimes people say the Epi Elitists are even better than that. They're also pretty different; with Gibson you get a choice of neck profiles and the bodies are chambered (hollowed-out in certain areas); with Epiphone Elitists, the body is 100% solid with no chambereing, and you can only get the one neck profile.

For more regular Epiphones, the general though is that if you get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and upgrade it's pickups, other electronics and the nut, then it will be about the same level or perhaps a little better than a Gibson Studio. Again, the same differences also apply; the Epi will be solid, the Gibson will be chambered; the Gisbon has a choice of necks, the Epi only has one.

And then there's the finish. Epiphone uses a thick high-gloss Poly-based finish on all of their electric guitars, which won't scartch or dent as easily, will take a bit longer to fade, and gives a slightly 'thicker' sound with more bass. Gibson use a thin Nitro-based finish which will fade and discolour slightly faster, will dent and scratch easier, and gives theguitar a lighter tone with slightly more treble response (instead of the Epiphone's added bass response). This sound difference will only be obvious if you have a really great amp though (and I mean really great), with an average or cheap amp you won't notice the sound difference.

The general rule is, with Epiphone (and other cheaper Chinese, Korean or Japanese copies), you're getting more for your money. The downside is you don't get that pretty Gibson logo, and if you were looking for something truly top professional quality with no fuss, than the Gibson will be better built right out of the box.

You should note though, right now in all of Europe (UK include) as well as some parts of the rest of the world, it's nearly impossible to get new Epiphones or Gibsons. Gibson have messed aroudn with their distribution, so stores aren't going to be able to get any new guitars in from either the Gibson brand or any of the brands that Gibson own (including Epiphone and Kramer). So whatever stores currently have is al they have to sell, and once they've sold their current stock, they won't be able to get any more. There is one online store that can get new Gibson and Epiphone models in for the UK, but that is it, and even then they are limited with which models they can order in, and they're charging a premium for them. So if you want a brand spanking new guitar, or if you want a guitar that your local store doesn't have already, then you have a slim chance of getting it online, but that's it, and you may not be able to get it at all. And no, importing from another country isn't an option except from Japan, where you will be spiked heavily on import taxes and shipping, you'll end up easily paying twice what you would in a store.

Short end result: don't bother with either these days, just go to another LP copy like Tokai, Vintage, Rally, Burny, ESP/LTD, PRS, or perhaps Agile and Michael Kelly (though I've had nothing but bad experiences with both of those two brands, everyone else on here seems to love them... I don't know why...).
In Europe/UK, the best options are definitely Tokai (Gibson Standard quality), Vintage (Epiphone standard quality) and Rally (Epiphone Elitist quality).

Oh, and any Gibson that costs less than £1000 new is going to be crap. The Standards and Classics (same guitar, just different stock pickups and finish options) cost around one and a half thousand - those are the baseline, and you shouldn't go lower than those when it comes to Gibsons. You could maybe get one of those second-hand for under £1000, but I'd still say a good Japanese or Korean copy from Tokai or an Epi ELitist would be the best way to go for that kind of money.

EDIT: holy crap, didn't realise I'd written so much!
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Hey guys, got it in the end. Its a second hand studio in custom blue. Sustain and everything sounds fine, thanks for all the advice.

As long as you're happy with the guitar then don't worry about it. But I actually do think you paid more than acceptable for a used Studio. I got my used Standard including the original case for 799 with a pro set up and all.