...awe skeeeeet!

8 > 7 > 6
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
How does it play? Was it hard getting used to it (it's probably harder to get used to other UGers saying you don't need an 8)?

EDIT: yeah clips would be nice....
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
As for the features, I really love just about everything about it.

When I first got it out of the box I was disappointed. Most prestige Ibanez guitars are perfect out of the box, this one required a good bit of adjusting. After that, it plays almost as nice as my Carvin, I've yet to play a guitar as nice as my carvin.

The neck is a good bit wider than a 7 string. The first 10 minutes I didn't think I really liked playing it, I have really small hands and it was more of a step than I was expecting. After that, it was great to play. I really like the 27" scale. It makes the standard 7 strings sound a ton and a half beefier, and then you have the F# which is just pure percussion. You gotta play one.

The EMG's sound great. Similar to an 85 or 60, not really as thin as an 81. The cleans don't require you to roll off on the volume knob.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Jul 10, 2008,
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
congrats man! That was probably one of the hardest guitars for me to play on, i tried it out a few months ago in a sam ash out in columbus, i struggled Maybe with more time....

I got mine through connections at a Sam Ash. They probably didn't have it set up. When I first pulled it out of the box, I didn't even attempt to play it, I pulled out the allen wrench and went to it.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Pyrofretnic
8 strings seems a bit unnecessary, but, it would certainly be fun

Clips?

the 8th string on the first 7 frets and open is used more as a tool of percussion. Extra heavy, it's not necessarily supposed to scream out a note, more or less, just pound the hell out of you.

Beyond that, it allows for more range with less horizontal movement. Where it is F# instead of G it takes a little time trying to figure out the fretting, but a 7 string was difficult at one point of time.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
That's one... big neck...and fretboard... Tbh i don't like it at all, but if it sounds nice then congratulations man!
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Quote by timi_hendrix
Your bassist is going to hate you for that

My mids are at 20 (2 amps at 10!)

He'll live

Quote by RoamingConflict
That's one... big neck...and fretboard... Tbh i don't like it at all, but if it sounds nice then congratulations man!

It's more or less a necessary thing than a want.

Start tuning down 6's, move to 7's. Start tuning down 7's, move on to an 8. I can't believe I already have tuned this thing down a full step, just to try it.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I can't believe I already have tuned this thing down a full step, just to try it.

RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Ugly as ****. I don't mind 7 strings, but for 8, just go buy a ****ing bass.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

I guess you'll have to create a "8 string legion".
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Quote by RoamingConflict
I guess you'll have to create a "8 string legion".

Or just go with Extended Range Legion.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by DSchmitty

Then why bother posting?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Pyrofretnic
2 questions.
1. Who makes 8 string sets?
2. What gauge is the 8th string?

1. No one that I know of. I usually buy individual strings on top of a regular guage pack for my 7 strings as it is. I guess I'll be stealing strings from a bassist now.

2. I believe the standard Ibanez 8th string is a 70. I'll probably bump that up to a 74.

As for the sound clips...I suck at recording. I have crap recording equipment. I do have band practice today, and we do record stuff daily with a video camera, so it's not hi fi by any means, but hey, you get to hear what drop Z minor sounds like.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Jul 10, 2008,
yummy bet that sounds incredible

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by sashki
Excuse my ignorance, but HOW LOW DOES IT GO?

What's the factory tuning?

F# B E A D G B E
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Very cool! I want an 8 at some point, B isn't low enough

How's the neck on it, is it a wizard something?
Quote by Tom_hatton
Very cool! I want an 8 at some point, B isn't low enough

How's the neck on it, is it a wizard something?

It's thin, but quite wide. The only discomfort I've had so far is the position of my thumb on my fretting hand, just feels akward. You would get used to the neck before you would get used to F# being a half step below G, thus throwing off some of the scale runs.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I´ve played it, and i thought the neck was to thin! XD but i didn´t have any problems playing it (im lucky to have big hands), but i thought it was pretty similar to a 6-string bass (the width of the neck).
But what kind of music do you play with that 8-String? Wouldnt be surprised if it would be something that sounded like Meshuggah. Or you could be creative and slap the F# and B string to make some funky bass/guitar music xD
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by stebbic
I´ve played it, and i thought the neck was to thin! XD but i didn´t have any problems playing it (im lucky to have big hands), but i thought it was pretty similar to a 6-string bass (the width of the neck).
But what kind of music do you play with that 8-String? Wouldnt be surprised if it would be something that sounded like Meshuggah. Or you could be creative and slap the F# and B string to make some funky bass/guitar music xD

I play stuff more along the lines of Megadeth, Tool, and Dream Theater, with quite a bit of Meshuggah's percussion style riffing.

I can't say the neck feels too thin, feels slightly thicker than my Ibanez RG320 and RG7321. I do like the curvature to this neck though, the other ones had a slight curve then it was just flat.

Over the few hours that I've played this guitar, when I go to a clean channel I did try some touch guitar stuff and a little slapping. Still, the F# is different than G, so it's taking a bit of time.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by DSchmitty

Please shut up.

Nice fucking guitar man, by the way. I personally don't want an 8, but that looks damn sexy...

Audio pronz required. Also, how heavy is that thing? Not monstrous, I suppose.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Why is it tuned to F#?
If it was me, i'd just tune it to G
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Why is it tuned to F#?

Then that would be tuned a half step up.

The factory "Standard E" is F#BEADGBE

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Then that would be tuned a half step down.

The factory "Standard E" is F#BEADGBE

actually, a half step up
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
Agh, I'm losing it...

I go edit now.

Now that I think about it, that was one of the dumbest things I've said as a correction .

Quote by eggsandham2
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Jul 11, 2008,
Quote by kool98769
Why is it tuned to F#?

The F# with the the B makes a power chord.
Quote by Tom_hatton
The F# with the the B makes a power chord.

There are 5 semitones between F# and B which makes it a perfect fourth. A power chord is a perfect fifth or 7 semitones.
Quote by animetard
There are 5 semitones between F# and B which makes it a perfect fourth. A power chord is a perfect fifth or 7 semitones.

He means when you play the standard power chord shape, if the F# were tuned to a G it'd be a bigger stretch to play a power chord.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by MESAexplorer
... Start tuning down 6's, move to 7's. Start tuning down 7's, move on to an 8. I can't believe I already have tuned this thing down a full step, just to try it.

That's a wicked Ibanez! Congrats!

BTW, the neck width looks like my 6-string bass.

Quote by kool98769
Why is it tuned to F#?

I'm actually considering that. I could get used to weird powerchords before I could weird scales.

Quote by Slaytanic1993

Nice fucking guitar man, by the way. I personally don't want an 8, but that looks damn sexy...

Audio pronz required. Also, how heavy is that thing? Not monstrous, I suppose.

It's not too heavy, Les Pauls, my Carvin, and my Ibanez RG320 all weigh more.

...I got to meet Akerfeldt in DC!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Page 1 of 2